Neil Diamond reveals `Caroline' inspiration

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Neil Diamond held onto the secret for decades, but he has finally revealed that President Kennedy's daughter was the inspiration for his smash hit "Sweet Caroline."

"I've never discussed it with anybody before — intentionally," the 66-year-old singer-songwriter told The Associated Press on Monday during a break from recording. "I thought maybe I would tell it to Caroline when I met her someday."

He got his chance last week when he performed the song via satellite at Caroline Kennedy's 50th birthday party.
Diamond was a "young, broke songwriter" when a photo of the president's daughter in a news magazine caught his eye.

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/32627863

Do you think this is really true?
Sweet I guess but, she was like 10 when he wrote this song.

Written by: neil diamond

Where it began
I cant begin to knowin
But then I know its growin strong

Was in the spring
And spring became the summer
Whod have believed youd come along

Hands, touchin hands
Reachin out
Touchin me
Touchin you

Sweet caroline
Good times never seemed so good
Ive been inclined
To believe they never would

But now i
Look at the night
And it dont seem so lonely
We fill it up with only two
And when I hurt
Hurtin runs off my shoulders
How can I hurt when Im with you

Warm, touchin warm
Reachin out
Touchin me
Touchin me

Sweet caroline
Ive been inclined
To believe they never would
Oh, no, no

Sweet caroline
Ive been inclined
I believed they never could
Sweet caroline

Awww, my friend who committed suicide just loved Neil Diamond and especially this song. We used to play it over and over. I can't even hear him without thinking of my friend, now gone.

I would like to think he just was inspired by a sweet young girl and used her name to write romantic lyrics - not that the lyrics were directed at a 10 year old girl.

Eve

the words do seem odd. Maybe just her name was the inspiration for the title.

That's what I think. Just that he thought she was sweet and pretty and her name is lovely...the chorus probably was inspired by her. Maybe even just the "Sweet Caroline...good times never seemed so good."

But then the rest of the song was just a love song, inspired by his own experiences, maybe even part(s) of a song or songs he already had rattling around in his head.

At least, that's how the artists and writers I know work.

Maybe that's why it took him 40 years to tell...yucky pucker :) Just kiddin (I have always loved Neil, Barry, Barbara...Shows my age!).

My all time favorite..."Song Sung Blue"

He didn't actually write the song until years later, the article said. He was simply inspired by that initial picture. So she woulda been older when he wrote it. Or, maybe he's a perv, lol.

Awww, my friend who committed suicide just loved Neil Diamond and especially this song. We used to play it over and over. I can't even hear him without thinking of my friend, now gone.

I would like to think he just was inspired by a sweet young girl and used her name to write romantic lyrics - not that the lyrics were directed at a 10 year old girl.

Eve
i agree

Eve

I'm sure that's it. He's a commercial songwriter and knew perfectly well that a song about a 10-year-old he'd never met wasn't going to sell records.

So he grabbed her name and wrote lyrics (though not very good ones) that could be interpreted romantically. Happens all the time.

Eve

I'm so sorry about your friend, Eve. I too interpret Caroline as his inspiration in the way that you suggest.

I'm sure that's it. He's a commercial songwriter and knew perfectly well that a song about a 10-year-old he'd never met wasn't going to sell records.

So he grabbed her name and wrote lyrics (though not very good ones) that could be interpreted romantically. Happens all the time.

You got that right, Nova!

I don't think it is perverted at all. If you think of it from the aspect of a parent and child it is so true.

I think Caroline is one of the prettiest names ..

Gheezeeeeee, seeing the words and hearing the song (in my head:banghead:) make me think ole Neil wasn't singing about a 10 yr old little girl who happened to be the president's daughter.
touching you.......touching me. Good times never felt so good.
:silenced::hand:
ewwwwww gives me the willies.

Maybe that's why it took him 40 years to tell...yucky pucker :) Just kiddin (I have always loved Neil, Barry, Barbara...Shows my age!).

My all time favorite..."Song Sung Blue"

Neil, Barry and Babs. Holy smokes ya have my mom's list down pat. Especially Babs. Lord knows we had to sing "Don't Rain On My Parade" at every talent event. I'm going on he made this Caroline thing up. NOW can he tells us what in the heck he meant by saying he said to the chair and noone is there? That song cracks me up. If we'd ask my dad would tell us "Never mind what it means it's a great song". Now only if we could ask Bobby Darren what he was going on about.

Well, I see that one of the great mysteries of the world has now been solved---now, if Neil Diamondl can just give us his secret inspiration for his earlier hit, Cherry Cherry, I will be at peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back