Holland Netherlands - Amsterdam - Vondelpark, Male, burned alive at national holiday, 30 april 1992

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by dutchhelp, Jun 16, 2019.

1. dutchhelp

dutchhelp Member

Info from police:

On the 30th of April 1992, during Queens day a young man set himself on fire in the Vondelpark in Amsterdam. He died later that day of his injuries, his identity is still unknown.

Date Found: 30 April 1992
    Skin color: probably white
    Length: 169 centimeter (5'5 feet)
    Build: Normal/Thin
    Age: Young male is mentioned, which makes me think 18-30 range
    Hair: Dark blonde straight hair of circa 12 centimeter (possibly in a style associated with Hare Krishna)
    Foot size: 24.5 centimeter (8.5 US, 39.5 Netherlands)
    Dentals: all teeth in good condition
    clothes: Burned jeans, socks and underpants
    Scars: pox prick at the outside of his upper right arm; various shallow transverse linear scars in the inside of the lower right arm (likely indicating self-mutilation, which would indicate that the male is left-handed)

Based on the hair it could be that the male was part of a Hare Krishna movement.

-----
    My observations:
    This case was recently published (after 27 years!). Vondelpark is a really busy place during Queens day, lots of people and children during the day doing the classical dutch selling of goods on Queens Day. Thus it is really strange that I have a hard time finding more details or any news articles (like the time he was burned). The hair and potential Hare Krishna involvement seems a really good lead as well. Not sure how big this movement is in Amsterdam, and how hidden the members are from the outside world or if they have a lot of foreign members.

Dutch Police (Dutch, graphic image!): Onbekende dode (jonge)man in Vondelpark Amsterdam
    Dutch Police (English, graphic image!): Onbekende dode (jonge)man in Vondelpark Amsterdam | politie.nl

Elainera and dotr like this.
  2. dutchhelp

dutchhelp Member

I found this video of the Vondelpark in 1992 during Queens day, it doesn't show the young man (or any sign of something like that happening) but it shows really well how busy the park was during that day.

3. dutchhelp

dutchhelp Member

I looked through the papers of the 1st of May 1992, and see nothing being written about a man setting himself on fire. Which is really odd. Delpher Kranten

In the papers I can find only a mention of a man (probably homeless) found in the bushes at 1 May 1992: Gevonden in Delpher - De Volkskrant which does not really seem to fit to the story above. They describe this is a place where two girls where playing violin the day before (more to set the setting of the story), at 3.23 in the video there is 2 girls playing violin. But now I have the feeling that I'm connecting dots unrelated to the case of the burned man.

4. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

Alwin Sterk is probably too old, he would have been 40 in 1992. But hair color and height match. He is said to have been staying "in the alternative circuit" which might fit with the possible Hare Krishna connection.

Alewijn Sterk

alwin-sterk.jpg

5. ZaZara

ZaZara Well-Known Member

In 1992, Amsterdam had about 700.00 inhabitants.
    For Queensday, one million visitors were expected to visit the town.

If he was with Hare Krishna, LE surely would have investigated that at the time? If he was with a local group, someone surely would have missed him. They were out in the streets at the time, dancing and chanting. Not wearing jeans btw.

If he was a visitor for the day, where would he have come from? In 1992, Queensday wasn't the international hype that it is today, and flights were still expensive.

Hare Krishna Amsterdam is on FB, website:
    https://iskconamsterdam.nl/
    They are a registered charity.

dutchhelp likes this.
  6. ZaZara

ZaZara Well-Known Member

I don't remember hearing or reading about this case at the time.

Found no news about him in Het Parool, on May 2, 1992 they publish a small item about a dead man in the Vondelpark, he would have been 40 - 50 years of age and died of natural causes some months before.

Gevonden in Delpher - Het Parool

dutchhelp likes this.
  7. dutchhelp

dutchhelp Member

The article you mention in Het Parool is about the same person as the article I found in De Volkskrant. Which both seem non-related to this case.

Very odd there is no news of this in any of the articles about the events that day. Maybe the police mention the wrong date? They are often quite careful in their details though and also without the date I can't find anything about a man burned in the Vondelpark.