Never noticed this before on JB neck...(graphic)

Gunther Toody

Reaction score
This image looks to show evidence that there is a second injury under her chin line, and what appears to be another to her neck below the cord that looks also to have been caused by a cord or similar.
The chin marking angle could seem to indicate that she may have been dragged?
Surely I am not the first to point this out.
Has it been discussed before?

Attachments

• jonbenetfaceright.jpg
    jonbenetfaceright.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 95
This image looks to show evidence that there is a second injury under her chin line, and what appears to be another to her neck below the cord that looks also to have been caused by a cord or similar.
I have always had the thought that she was possibly dragged. I have never been attached to the word garotte for the strangling instrument. My idea of a garotte is as pictured below. The cord on JB looks like it was tied around her neck. What was used looks like what is attached to my mower to start it. I know this as a toggle rope.

The second picture is from the link.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240309_142237.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_142237.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240309_144306.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_144306.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 13
It looks like it could have been that she was lying down when she was strangled with the garotte and that the strangler was sitting on the ground with their legs either side of her head or a similar position and maybe the movement of her head caused the garotte to reposition at some point. I’m not sure if that makes sense but thats the way I would picture someone getting the two different lines around the neck. JMO.

I have always had the thought that she was possibly dragged. I have never been attached to the word garotte for the strangling instrument. My idea of a garotte is as pictured below. The cord on JB looks like it was tied around her neck. What was used looks like what is attached to my mower to start it. I know this as a toggle rope.

The second picture is from the link.
I know its a toggle rope as well...but just used garrote, since that is the common term around here.
In either case, could they have dragged her and then repositioned the rope for the strangulation?

I have spent many years in public safety and the funeral industry. I have seen hanging victims and these lines look similar.
Not petechiae, more like bruising.

Hanging victims will retain the bruising for days afterward. At least that has been my experience.

I know its a toggle rope as well...but just used garrote, since that is the common term around here.
In either case, could they have dragged her and then repositioned the rope for the strangulation?

I have spent many years in public safety and the funeral industry. I have seen hanging victims and these lines look similar.
Not petechiae, more like bruising.

Hanging victims will retain the bruising for days afterward. At least that has been my experience.
Can you explain how the rope was fashioned around her neck and how it was used. I can't make anything out from the pictures. It appears the tension remained around her neck, so to me, it appears to be tied. My understanding of garotting is either pulling the two opposing ends around the neck or twisting the two
Ends at the base to tighten.
Can you tell me how the rope was tightened?

Petechiae? ? Strangulation/garrote mark?
I'm not saying she was drug for certain but if she was incapacitated by a head wound and drug by her hands and neck, I would still expect to see some petechiae and marks on her neck especially if dragged in a prone position.

GT, I haven't been able to go through the whole thread, but there may be something useful here:

I would agree that it looks like there was a strangulation mark in the middle of her neck, so likely while she would be standing up. I think she was then laid down and dragged by that cord soon after death, making the rope slip up and at an angle creating an additional mark.
JMO

Can you explain how the rope was fashioned around her neck and how it was used. I can't make anything out from the pictures. It appears the tension remained around her neck, so to me, it appears to be tied. My understanding of garotting is either pulling the two opposing ends around the neck or twisting the two
Ends at the base to tighten.
Can you tell me how the rope was tightened?
I don't know for sure, but it looks to me that she may have been dragged...causing the mark that runs along the chin line, then the rope repositioned to its strangulation position and the paintbrush inserted and twisted to tighten it.
Wasn't her hair and necklace twisted in the knot as well?

Its just a guess, but what else makes sense?

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea