Never say Never - RE: Jurors

Status
Not open for further replies.
:twocents:I served one time in my county which is small. It was very interesting and everyone should have to do it at least one time,lol. I hope I never have to again. I was picked right off the bat for a murder case....there I sat as they questioned the people drawn to see if they would keep us or not....as luck would have it (thank you Lord) the victim was a brother of a patient where I worked and she had discussed the case with me......I quickly mentioned this and did not have to serve on that case. However, I think I could have served well as she only told me bits and pieces about it. It is an interesting process and the two cases I had to serve on was VERY interesting because of the other jurors. That is where it gets hairy....you and 11 other people from all walks of life have to make a decision...thank God it was not a murder trial. After being a member here I can now look back and see things in a different light....we get the inside info it seems that lots of people don't have...I doubt I could mention this case to anyone I know and maybe five of them would say they have heard of it...of course we won't be called on this case,lol. I thought I had a point to make here but now I find I am just blabbing so I pray to God some sensible people will be chosen and can render the verdict I and many others it seems agree on................guilty as charged.

I rest my case.

Well, for one thing, Casey is supposed to be judged by a jury of her 'peers'. I believe that JB & Co. are going to want at least a couple of younger people on that jury.

Jury selection should be very interesting.

I think it would be an imposition on someone with young children especially, but also on anyone with children in school. Two months is a long time to be away from the daily homework and extra curricula activities of school age children.

Those best suited to be sequestered on a jury for that length of time are those who's children are grown, or senior citizens who are retired. Young people in their 20's, who don't have children would also be able to serve.

But, the above criteria would limit the make up of the jury. You'd have young people without children (defense would prefer this juror), and older people who are probably more conservative in their views (prosecution would prefer this type of juror). Missing from the jury would be parents with school-age children, whom the prosecution would most want on the jury.

I would think that event planners such as the job KC had would also have time for jury duty!!!

I just want to say, "PICK ME, PICK ME!" I am a 65 year old grandmother, living in a county outside of Orlando, and I would welcome the chance to be on this jury. In all my years I have never been called for duty. I've followed along since the beginning of the 31 days, but I know I could evaluate objectively whatever is presented in court. I would like the chance to hear the plain and simple from both sides of the room.

You would be great I bet! I can see how this could affect lots of people the rest of their life sentencing someone in a case this serious. It is an awesome responsibility.

http://www.miami-dadeclerk.com/dadecoc/Jury.asp

Here is a link to the state of Florida Jury Service FAQ's

A while back I received notice for jury duty and actually did want to serve, the one case I was called for ended up not going to court, I have 1 1/2 months before my term is up so maybe I'll get another call.
Since I lived far enough away I would have been reimbursed for my hotel room, I would not have had to share a room with someone else.
They do not pay you very much, I checked with my job and they would have paid me my salary I would have made, minus what the court pays. So I would not have lost anything financially. dh and our pets would have managed fine, yes the house may not be quite how I'd like it on my return but no big deal.
Caylee deserves people willing to give some of their time and I would do it for her.

VB

I too could handle being on this case. Widowed and retired. My grandsons love my cat and so does my next door neighbor, so I'm sure one of them would watch her.

I would think each juror gets their own hotel room paid for by the state.

My only problem is I live in Pennsylvania! Oh, and I think SHE'S GUILTY!

JB dosen't give a hoot about anybody that would need to sit on a jury for KC's trial. His words are just lip service to further his agenda.
Only JB and KC could stop this craziness if they would BEG for a plea of life in prison. It would end the wasteful spending of tax payers dollars and relieve the minds of potential jurors.

I would sit on that jury too. My children are grown and on their own. I spend most of my time alone anyway. I would need my own room as someone stated above because I snore horribly and would hate to put another human being in a position that they would want to kill me. I would also need my pillows. I could see movies that I have wanted to see for years but are girls flicks. I love to read and work jig-saw puzzles. It would be great fun to play board games with fellow jurors. I love to people watch so I could look out a window for hours and just watch people out and about.

JB dosen't give a hoot about anybody that would need to sit on a jury for KC's trial. His words are just lip service to further his agenda.
Only JB and KC could stop this craziness if they would BEG for a plea of life in prison. It would end the wasteful spending of tax payers dollars and relieve the minds of potential jurors.

I would sit on that jury too. My children are grown and on their own. I spend most of my time alone anyway. I would need my own room as someone stated above because I snore horribly and would hate to put another human being in a position that they would want to kill me. I would also need my pillows. I could see movies that I have wanted to see for years but are girls flicks. I love to read and work jig-saw puzzles. It would be great fun to play board games with fellow jurors. I love to people watch so I could look out a window for hours and just watch people out and about.

OT......I think you are my long lost twin,lol:crazy:

Am I to believe I'm the only 47 year old woman with a good education and strong work ethics who ISN'T a mother? I'm really starting to get depressed now, folks!

No, you aren't! I'm 49 with a good education and a work ethic so strong I'm here when I should be home coughing in bed. We've been married 29 years and no children. We would both serve on this jury if called upon. We're in Brevard County (the Space Coast).

Ok so Mr. Baez ... you see? I found two dozen people right here, within the span of 12 hours, ready, willing and able to serve. I think I've made my point.

Thanks all. I rest my case, haa

I'm one county over from Orange, I'd serve :D

So folks come from all over the country, to walk through mud, tiptoe through wooded areas filled with snakes, comb lake and stream sides in the dead heat of a Florida summer, spend their own money on transportation, food and lodging all to help find Caylee, but they won't inconvenience themselves to serve on a jury to find justice for her????

Is the sky blue in that world of yours Jose?

Whoever is picked for this jury, the judge will ask if sitting on this jury for over 8 weeks could cause a hardship. If you have young children, you will be excused. If you have an elderly person who depends on you for care, you will be excused.

Serving jury duty is the responsibility of every American citizen taking a turn once every 4 years, the courts cannot visit undue hardship on you, especially if someone is dependant on your care.

Excuses from Jury Service

Many courts offer excuses from service, on individual request, to designated groups of persons or occupational classes. Such groups may include persons over age 70; persons who have, within the past two years, served on a federal jury; and persons who serve as volunteer fire fighters or members of a rescue squad or ambulance crew.

The Jury Act also allows courts to permanently excuse a juror from service at the time he or she is summoned on the grounds of "undue hardship or extreme inconvenience" if the distance to the courthouse makes it difficult for the juror to travel. The juror should write a letter to the clerk of court requesting an excuse with an explanation of hardship.

Excuses for jurors are granted at the discretion of the court and cannot be reviewed or appealed to Congress or any other entity.
http://www.uscourts.gov/jury/qualifications.html

Below is for Ninth District Court in Orange County...

Whether or not you are selected to serve on a jury, your participation is critical to one of the most fundamental principals of our free society - the right to a jury trial. Your participation as a juror is essential to our common law system of justice. Our system affords all persons going to trial the opportunity to have the facts of their cases determined by a jury of their peers. The Judges of the Ninth Judicial Circuit thank you in advance for your service. We hope you find your jury service to be an interesting and positive experience.

Term of Service: Jury duty will normally last for one day or the completion of one trial. If you are not selected to serve on a trial after the first day of your service, you will most likely be excused. Jury service may be extended beyond these limits to meet the needs of the Court.
http://www.ninja9.org/courtadmin/jury/orange.htm

Justice for Caylee

You would be great I bet! I can see how this could affect lots of people the rest of their life sentencing someone in a case this serious. It is an awesome responsibility.

I would have ABSOLUTELY zero problems sticking the needle in that girl myself!

I wouldn't mind being on this jury, however...I also could not share a room. No way! I would need my own room.

But I can see how the decision to sentence someone to death could weigh heavily on a person.

When it comes to a change of venue, I prefer the idea of bringing the jurors in from another county instead of moving the whole trial to another county.............far fewer people, far fewer expenses are involved in bringing a jury in.

But, two months is a big chunk of time for people, no matter what their circumstances are.......children, no children, job, no job, retired, etc......to be away from their family and home.

The whole idea of sequestering a jury is to isolate them from hearing about the case through the media or other people, and having their decision influenced by outsiders. In almost all death penalty cases the jury is sequestered. In a lengthy trial proceeding, this becomes a hardship on the jurors and their families. In one of the lengthiest trials, the Manson trial in Los Angeles, CA., the jury was sequestered for 9 and 1/2 months. In that time, two of the jurors, both married, had an affair, one had a heart attack, and one divorced. There's no doubt that serving on a lengthy trial puts stresses on relationships.

I don't think we should punish people for serving on a jury. I think there should be some considerations made for the jurors who're expected to serve on a lengthy trial. Why not allow monitored weekend visitation with their families? Family members could visit with the juror in a meeting room or dining room in the hotel where they're being sequestered, with an officer of the court present and specific instructions that they cannot discuss the case. I think most families would have lots to talk about other than the case. Most large hotels have swimming pools. Let the children of a sequestered juror visit on Saturday afternoon and swim in the pool........parents enjoy watching their kids have fun. Again, with security present.

There's a lot of little things that could be done to make serving on a lengthy sequestered jury less of a hardship.

**bumping this for new first hand information concerning "prosepctive jurors"

I live in Broward County - the Fort Lauderdale area. It is very possible that my county could be considered for this "imported" jury. Keeping that in mind - here's my story:

I had jury duty today at the main courthouse. There must have been 500 - 600 people in the jury room. Not once - never ever - did anyone ask to verify that I was who I was. They just took the little postcard that I got in the mail and told me to sit down.

I was then sent to a courtroom (group of 22). The judge spoke to us as a group and individually. Never once was asked to prove I was who I said I was. Found out two of the guys had outstanding warrants. BIG HUGE BRASS cajones to show up for jury duty knowing you have outstanding warrants. They even questioned me (I have a VERY COMMON name) - someone with my name has a warrant. The DA's asked me my DOB and when I told them - they looked at the judge and said - nope, its not her.

I was shaking - literally shaking. That scared me so bad. But, without checking ID's - how did they know anyone was who they said they were? I mean I could have given them any old DOB - they never asked me to show them.

How can this be? What happens if there is a huge trial (KC *cough cough*) and then find out some juror is NOT who they were supposed to be?

There's some food for thought. I plan on making some phone calls tomorrow to see what I can find out. But, somehow to me, this doesn't fly - especially since we are dealing with the judicial system.

Am I to believe I'm the only 47 year old woman with a good education and strong work ethics who ISN'T a mother? I'm really starting to get depressed now, folks!

I'm with you Gnatcatcher. Except I'm only 45 :crazy:

**bumping this for new first hand information concerning "prosepctive jurors"

I live in Broward County - the Fort Lauderdale area. It is very possible that my county could be considered for this "imported" jury. Keeping that in mind - here's my story:

I had jury duty today at the main courthouse. There must have been 500 - 600 people in the jury room. Not once - never ever - did anyone ask to verify that I was who I was. They just took the little postcard that I got in the mail and told me to sit down.

I was then sent to a courtroom (group of 22). The judge spoke to us as a group and individually. Never once was asked to prove I was who I said I was. Found out two of the guys had outstanding warrants. BIG HUGE BRASS cajones to show up for jury duty knowing you have outstanding warrants. They even questioned me (I have a VERY COMMON name) - someone with my name has a warrant. The DA's asked me my DOB and when I told them - they looked at the judge and said - nope, its not her.

I was shaking - literally shaking. That scared me so bad. But, without checking ID's - how did they know anyone was who they said they were? I mean I could have given them any old DOB - they never asked me to show them.

How can this be? What happens if there is a huge trial (KC *cough cough*) and then find out some juror is NOT who they were supposed to be?

There's some food for thought. I plan on making some phone calls tomorrow to see what I can find out. But, somehow to me, this doesn't fly - especially since we are dealing with the judicial system.

I was recently called for jury duty in Broward - and you're right! They never asked for ID! Could it be because it's all "anonymous?"

I'm in north Florida so I'm guessing the defense will stay far away from our jury pool.(Haleigh and Sommer are too close and fresh in our minds)

But I've wondered if our participation here (Websleuths) will prevent us from being picked for the jury? Do you think this will be questioned during jury selection?

For the record I'd consider 2 months away from my job and home duties a vacation! No little ones at home and lots of unused vacation so sign me up. Woo hoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288