New Developments and General Discussion, 08/10/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, New York. I posted there, as well. Sometimes we may wonder if what we do here, often from a distance, could possibly have an impact. It's nice to know that all the sleuthing we've done in this particular case could be useful.

Would he have to prove she died before he took her and how would he do that?

ETA: with his history he hasn't got a chance!

I don't think he would have to prove she died in the way he stated but hope the jury believed it based what evidence is in his favor...such as if the medical examiner can see signs of the bicycle hit but not the signs of sexual assault or obvious homicide. That her bike was damaged consistent with being struck by a vehicle.

All he needs to do is convince ONE juror that it is a possibility.

There are lots of cases where a jury finds a defendent guilty of a lesser crime. Or cannot come to an agreement and it ends in a mistrial.

If he were to say it was an accident and there is even a spec of evidence that shows this accident did occur, that may raise doubts in some jurors minds.

Plus, we do not know what will and will not be allowed to be heard by jurors. If Mickey and Lisa's cases are tried seperately then the jury will likely not hear about the other case. They may never hear about the first victim. There may be a lot of circumstancial evidence that is never discussed.

I could gripe about the justice system all day but it is what it is.

I am wondering if he had some type of digging equipment he was practicing using on that farmer's land where the three "graves" were found, and then used it to dig the actual grave at the cemetery. I can't imagine how he was able to dig a deep grave with just a shovel with a badly injured finger.

ETA Althought it did look like a shovel might be in one of those evidence bags.

I have thought about this also. Wasn't there a search warrant served against an excavating company?

I have a question for anyone who might know.

IF he signed a plea deal, is that it? Or does he still have to go before the judge to finalize it? I know there would be no sentencing, so no need for that hearing.

Also, could he at any point change his mind once it has been signed?

(ok, a few questions)

Hi all my friends, been off awhile, this has hit pretty close to home for me . .
but . . . as to your question,

in my experience once someone has been offered a plea bargain, as long as the conditions were met, it's a done deal; however, he would still go before the judge and state his guilt or whatever he plead to. Then, the judge will sentence. However, if perchance, the terms were not met on either side, BSL or the DA could request it be set aside.

During this mini-trial, would be, IMO, the opportunity for any victim impact statements.

Not trying to butt in, just had a small bit of experience. But it's still JMO because every jurisdiction is different and it all depends upon the plea.

Love you guys, you're really warm and compassionate people. Mickey IMO would be proud so many people fought for her.

:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

I have a feeling that there may well be a plea agreement in place, but the DA is not ready to announce it yet, so soon after officially identifying Mickey; it might strike people the wrong way. Maybe next week. I can't imagine BL talking if there wasn't a deal to his benefit.

If he has a plea in place, he will still have to appear in court to enter his plea. I know in the case of BTK, he had to describe each murder. Also I do believe, now that I think of it, that the victims' families' were allowed a chance to get up and make their statements in this setting. Also, whatever he claims, has to match up with the evidence. He can't for example say she got into his truck willingly if they can prove otherwise, or say she was killed by the truck hitting her, if it is found she was stabbed, etc...

Sorry, you had already answered!! Jumped in too quick, and thanks, I think that's the way it goes . . .he still has to admit to all what he's guilty of!!
IMO :blushing:

Just an additional thought to ponder - a what if. Say BSL is given a LWOP deal for giving up MS's location. Also say... and this is JMO only.... that prosecutors strongly believe (based on some evidence they have in hand) that they have BSL on additional victims. Prosecutors would have possibly come to a deal easier to get him to give it up on MS.

bbm: That scenario -- where prosecutors feel they have very strong evidence in other, as-yet-unidentified cases, waiting to spring -- is one for which I can even entertain the possibility that they might accept a plea to some "lesser" type of homicide for Mickey and maybe Lisa as well, in return for being led to Mickey's remains. (I know you were talking about a LWOP deal, JustyThoughts -- I'm just taking it a step further, pondering.)

I would think this would be especially possible if the evidence they have thus far in the two current cases is not so strong. (And just IMO, it may not be -- saying this just not knowing what was found at BSL's place, what all those witness statements amount to, what is on video, etc.) One thing, though -- I can really hardly imagine that kind of deal, even with other strong cases in the making, before forensic results are received from FACES.

Unless maybe ... there is strong exculpatory evidence -- say, purely for one possible example, video footage where Mickey's bike darts out in front of the DWT. If something of that nature existed -- and let me state LOUD, this is ONLY A HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE (not wanting to start a rumor!) -- but if something of that nature existed and has come to light recently, it would have to be revealed to the defense eventually -- the "document" recently released is not really true "discovery", despite the fact that the word "discovery" is in its long title; it was a preliminary kind of document. (A type, in fact, that I think is not all that common and is only prepared at the express request of the court or of the defense -- but I would have to research a bit to be sure of that.)

I doubt if any, much less all, of this is the case -- just following one possibility in this post.

I have a feeling that there may well be a plea agreement in place, but the DA is not ready to announce it yet, so soon after officially identifying Mickey; it might strike people the wrong way. Maybe next week. I can't imagine BL talking if there wasn't a deal to his benefit.

Could a deal be "in the works" pending results from FACES? Something like -- OK, if the forensics support what you are telling us (whatever that is), BSL, the deal is on...?

But, I guess not -- that would be a shaky bargaining position for BSL and his lawyers. (Since he has already contributed his part, I mean, if it was he that gave the location of Mickey.)

Could a deal be "in the works" pending results from FACES? Something like -- OK, if the forensics support what you are telling us (whatever that is), BSL, the deal is on...?

But, I guess not -- that would be a shaky bargaining position for BSL and his lawyers. (Since he has already contributed his part, I mean, if it was he that gave the location of Mickey.)

Yeah, it does seem shaky on BL's part to give up his part without a solid commitment. But he may know, or believe, that cause of death won't be easily determined. Or he may think the condition of her body could support an accident, depending upon what he did to her. :( But FACES is very sophisticated.

I saw online that people have been wearing "Find Mickey" bracelets - those silicone type ones. I would love to get one, though Mickey has been found. I wonder if there are any plans at headquarters or Mickey's college, etc., to have "Justice for Mickey" bracelets made. I would love to order one...in purple, of course!

I keep thinking about Mickey's family and the pain they must be going through, all due to the heinous actions of one so-called human being. One day, BS will learn what the Devil himself has in store for him. :what:

It could be that instead of giving a formal confession as part of "a deal", he simply cracked under pressure. It would explain the need for extreme silence while the legal issues are worked out.

It could be that instead of giving a formal confession as part of "a deal", he simply cracked under pressure. It would explain the need for extreme silence while the legal issues are worked out.

Yes, it could be -- and yes it would explain. Some of the other possibilities could explain a need for extreme silence, too, IMO.

Speaking of which -- I can't help wondering (and I know we can't know right now), what is happening with Lisa's case in all this. I wonder if her family is getting any answers at all or if they are just having to wait and wonder. (I know this really belongs on Lisa's thread -- in fact, just headed there to post -- but just wanted to mention it here, too.)

Has anyone ever even as much as speculated where Brandon may have had the opportunity to take other women's possessions? Is it a fact that police recovered ID cards in the search? And, if so, were they drivers licenses or some other kind of ID like a membership card?

I worry that if there were multiple ID's found, including those belonging to women that were not a victim, if this evidence could be used in court. It could prove that he had some type of contact with the victims but it would also give the defense the opportunity to raise doubt in a jurors mind. They could bring up the point that "Betty Joe's" ID was also found but he did not murder her.

I have no idea why I am always thinking from the defense side of things!

Has anyone ever even as much as speculated where Brandon may have had the opportunity to take other women's possessions? Is it a fact that police recovered ID cards in the search? And, if so, were they drivers licenses or some other kind of ID like a membership card?

I worry that if there were multiple ID's found, including those belonging to women that were not a victim, if this evidence could be used in court. It could prove that he had some type of contact with the victims but it would also give the defense the opportunity to raise doubt in a jurors mind. They could bring up the point that "Betty Joe's" ID was also found but he did not murder her.

I have no idea why I am always thinking from the defense side of things!

I am not sure, CajunStrong, but I believe it may be that the only MSM report about IDs was from The Independent, which some locals, I know, have said is not to be trusted and some have said is reliable. It may be there were other MSM reports -- I'm just not bringing any to mind at the moment.

ETA: I think some related rumor has made its way onto here at times, but as I do not know for sure what was and was not deleted, or even really remember any details, I cannot reference further.

I am not sure, CajunStrong, but I believe it may be that the only MSM report about IDs was from The Independent, which some locals, I know, have said is not to be trusted and some have said is reliable. It may be there were other MSM reports -- I'm just not bringing any to mind at the moment.

ETA: I think some related rumor has made its way onto here at times, but as I do not know for sure what was and was not deleted, or even really remember any details, I cannot reference further.

I was a little behind during the talk of this and I know posters had referred to deleted posts but I was not sure what subject they contained prior to deletion. And I do not want to contribute to giving a rumor more life.

Personally, I think the Independent's reliability can depend on the journalist involved. I think they get key points right at times but for the most part I do not trust their sources. I have just heard too many variations on some of what they report.

I think he is going to claim it was an accident and he panicked because he already had priors and didnt want to go to jail....... I dont beleive this but I think he is going to claim that he hit her on the bike and panicked he injured himself while trying to bury her, and honestly after what happened in Casey Anthony's trial, it might just work. I mean who honestly thought Casey would be found not guilty?

I was a little behind during the talk of this and I know posters had referred to deleted posts but I was not sure what subject they contained prior to deletion. And I do not want to contribute to giving a rumor more life.

Personally, I think the Independent's reliability can depend on the journalist involved. I think they get key points right at times but for the most part I do not trust their sources. I have just heard too many variations on some of what they report.

bbm: Much the same situation here.

I bet he cops a plea with MS but DA will still prosecute for LP. Defense attorney probably explained that if he cops a plea to MS then maybe that evidence in her case will be stricken in the LP trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288