New documents obtained by Hartford Courant

Discussion in 'CT - Newtown Sandy Hook Elementary School' started by Jinkasaurus, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Jinkasaurus

Jinkasaurus Well-Known Member

"More than 1,000 pages of documents obtained by the Hartford Courant from the Connecticut State Police, including hundreds of pages of Lanza’s own writings and a spreadsheet detailing the gruesome work of 400 perpetrators of mass violence, bring into sharper focus the dark worldview of a 20-year-old who shot his mother four times as she slept and then killed 20 first-graders and six educators before killing himself at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., on Dec. 14, 2012."

Courant exclusive: More than 1,000 pages of documents reveal Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dark descent into depravity

2. Eleanor Rigby

Eleanor Rigby Well-Known Member

Interesting article. The analysis of Lanza--his diagnoses and environment--is not surprising. I do hope that the release of the documents can help prevent the development of a similar perpetrator and a similar tragedy.

I was an elementary teacher at the time of the massacre. It was another major turning point for schools, teachers, students and parents in regard to security and constant vigilance. Another loss of childhood innocence, another reason to feel apprehensive about school. I'd observe my students and try to gauge--if fleeing the building was the best bet--which ones would be able to obey directions and follow me out, and which were the two most likely in need of being grasped by the hand and pulled along. I'd also think about the layout of the building and the location of a shooter indeciding whether to flee or lockdown in place. I've often thought about the Sandy Hook students and teachers being shot as they cowered on the floor of their classrooms, and wondered what, if anything, the teachers could have done differently. I've never seen an analysis of that. All I heard, years after Sandy Hook, was that after analyzing school shootings the experts had decided that each individual teacher should assess the particular situation and decide for herself whether to lockdown or flee. My district adopted that policy. So thankful I was never in a situation to have to make that decision.

3. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

4. joypath

joypath Active Member

"students and teachers being shot as they cowered on the floor of their classrooms".......those teachers were protecting their students. They COVERED them with their bodies, tried to circumvent the shooter by drawing his attention but human bodies are not an adequate match against a Bushmaster Model XM15-E2S .223-caliber semiautomatic rifle and an individual with familiarity in using it. From my nightmarish memory, each victim had multiple GSWs. The retrieval and identification of the decedents was agonizing & painstakingly undertaken by caring OCME staff & LEOs, trying to "hold it together".
    God bless today's teachers who have invested, as you did, in evaluating students and the environment AND the positive changes we've ALL made learning from these events.

5. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

Research: Sandy Hook's gunman documents may boost study of mass killersResearchers say the detail on Adam Lanza's mental decline could offer insights into the mind of a mass killer

"HARTFORD, Conn. — The disclosure of Adam Lanza's writings and other documents offer little toward understanding why he carried out the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, but researchers say the detail on the gunman's mental decline could offer insights into the mind of a mass killer.

Some relatives of the 20 children and six educators gunned down at the school on Dec. 14, 2012, said they welcomed the release of the long-withheld records, although they wish it had not come the week of the tragedy's sixth anniversary....

Dr. Harold Schwartz, a psychiatrist and member of the Connecticut commission, made public safety and mental health recommendations in the wake of the shooting and reviewed some of the newly released documents, which were provided to him by the newspaper.

"There's no single, startling new revelation in these papers, but there's more building of the general impression of the kind of disturbed life he (Lanza) was living that I think is mostly helpful to psychiatrists, psychologists ... certainly researchers," Schwartz said.

Schwartz said writings near the end of Lanza's life suggest he didn't decide to commit the shooting until shortly before the massacre, when he may have been suffering from the effects of anorexia including possible brain damage. Schwartz and other experts note millions of people cope with the same mental illnesses Lanza had and aren't violent...."

Research: Sandy Hook's gunman documents may boost study of mass killers
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Eleanor Rigby

Eleanor Rigby Well-Known Member

I do remember reading that teachers futilely covered students with their own bodies during the shooting. What I always wondered, but never heard, was how Lanza got into the classrooms. I know he shot through the glass at the front door of the school to gain entry into the building, but I did not see it reported whether classroom doors were unlocked, or whether he shot off the locks. In determining whether to lock down in place or try to flee with a whole group of young children, I think it's important to know how easily a locked classroom door can be breached by a gun, which, I believe, in many cases, has been a rifle. We were never told this in the school district information sessions I attended. It was all about calculating where in the building the gunman was, and how close the class was to an outside exit. We practiced a lot of lock downs, but never flight from the building. I always wondered if there would have been fewer fatalities at Sandy Hook if teachers had fled with their students.

YESorNO and human like this.
  7. human

human Well-Known Member

As a retired teacher who practiced six lockdowns a year since Columbine, my resentment is great.

We had a plan for leaving the building.

One time for a drill, we were out on the playground.

To accept this as a normal way of life is as idiotic as Lanza’s writings.

8. Jinkasaurus

Jinkasaurus Well-Known Member

I wish the foiled shooting plots would get more publicity. I think it would help encourage people to pay attention to warning signs and give them motivation to say something.

There is a wiki page which lists a lot of foiled school attacks -
    List of unsuccessful attacks related to schools - Wikipedia

There was a case this past week where a teen in Washington state has plead guilty to planning a school shooting and had stockpiled homemade explosives and had bought a rifle. His grandmother found his journal and reported him.

article here: https://www.heraldnet.com/news/everett-teen-with-gun-guilty-of-plotting-school-shooting/

This recent case needs to be added to the wiki page.

9. not.a.muggle

not.a.muggle Well-Known Member

:(

Attached Files:

YESorNO likes this.
  10. YESorNO

New report offers chilling picture of Sandy Hook killer’s troubled mind (with clip)

Dec 14, 2018

"Six years since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, a new report from The Hartford Courant paints a chilling picture of the killer, who who struggled with loneliness, disdain for humanity and multiple psychiatric problems. William Brangham talks with reporter Josh Kovner about whether the new revelations could offer lessons for preventing future violence.

Read the Full Transcript..."

New report offers chilling picture of Sandy Hook killer's troubled mind
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. YESorNO

Sandy Hook students get sent home after a bomb threat on the sixth anniversary of the chilling massacre that left 20 first-graders and six educators dead

14 December 2018

"Sandy Hook Elementary School has been evacuated after a bomb threat on the sixth anniversary of the massacre that killed 20 first-graders and six educators

Police in Newtown, Connecticut, said the threat was made at about 9am on Friday and pupils were sent home for the day
    Lieutenant Aaron Bahamonde said there is a heightened level of anxiety in the town on the anniversary

The school superintendent decided to cancel remaining classes..."

Sandy Hook school receives threat on shooting anniversary | Daily Mail Online
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

human likes this.
  12. Nikkic89

Nikkic89 New Member

They're only using it to make money from writing articles, otherwise they'd just release the whole lot so everyone could read it for themselves. It's ridiculous, they're going to write article after article, then when they've squeezed it for every cent, they'll release the documents in the 'interest of full disclosure'.
    I assume there is no way to see the files until they choose to release them?

YESorNO likes this.
  13. YESorNO

I-Team: Childhood Documents Reveal Sandy Hook Shooter's Descent Into Depravity (with clip)

Jan 23, 2019

"Mental health experts say the hundreds of documents seized from the childhood home of Adam Lanza, the Sandy Hook school shooter, may provide lessons for parents on how to help children struggling with developmental disorders and anti-social tendencies.

The files, including drawings and writings from Lanza's youth, report cards, and childhood development evaluations, reveal family members and educators struggling to help the future killer cope with autism, obsessive compulsive disorder, and the extreme isolation that ultimately rendered Lanza a frustrated teenage recluse....

After NBC New York filed a records request seeking the same documents, the I-Team shared the files with experts in the field of childhood development and psychotherapy.

Jeremy Veenstra-VanderWeele, M.D., director of child and adolescent psychiatry at Columbia University, said it is important to dispel the myth that Adam Lanza's autism somehow prompted his violence.

"Autism spectrum disorder actually would be expected to decrease the risk of planned or intentional violence," Veenstra-VanderWheel said. "At a certain point, it feels like something opened a door and evil walked in. These are evil acts. They’re not things we can understand from the perspective of mental illness." ...

One of the most disturbing documents released as part of the Adam Lanza childhood file is a detailed spreadsheet he authored with synopses of mass murders committed across the world. The spreadsheet notes how many were killed, what weapon was used, and what became of the killer.

[​IMG]

"It’s hard to talk about this without a concept of evil," Veenstra-VanderWeele said...."

Childhood Papers Reveal Adam Lanza's Descent Into Depravity

[​IMG]
    (Adam Lanza details anorexic thinking/Photo credit: via Connecticut State Police)

[​IMG]
    (Adam Lanza's "Big Book of Granny" /Photo credit: via Connecticut State Police0

[​IMG]
    (Adam Lanza's cartoon showing cereal cartoon characters about to hit kids/Photo credit: via Connecticut State Police)

[​IMG]
    (Adam Lanza's card to his mother on Mother's Day, left, and a Christmas list to Santa, right/Photo credit: via Connecticut State Police)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

14. YESorNO

[​IMG]

(Adam Lanza's list of "school aversions"/Photo credit: via Connecticut State Police)

[​IMG]
    (A grid of mass murders compiled by Adam Lanza/Photo credit: via Connecticut State Police)

15. YESorNO

Documents Reveal Sandy Hook Killer Adam Lanza's Descent Into Depravity | NBC 4 I-Team

Jan 23, 2019

16. YESorNO

SHOOTING AT SANDY HOOK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL REPORT OF THE OFFICE OF THE CHILD ADVOCATE (114 pages)

"STATEMENT FROM THE AUTHORS In January, 2013, the Office of the Child Advocate was directed by the Connecticut Child Fatality Review Panel to prepare a report that would focus on Adam Lanza (hereinafter referred to as AL), and include a review of the circumstances that pre-dated his commission of mass murder at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The charge was to develop any recommendations for public health system improvement that emanated from the review. Authors of this report focused on AL’s developmental, educational, and mental health profile over time, the services he received from various community providers, and ultimately his condition prior to his actions on December 14, 2012.

Authors looked for any warning signs, red flags, or other lessons that could be learned from a review of AL’s life. It was not the primary purpose of this investigation to explicitly examine the role of guns in the Sandy Hook shootings. However, the conclusion cannot be avoided that access to guns is relevant to an examination of ways to improve the public health. Access to assault weapons with high capacity magazines did play a major role in this and other mass shootings in recent history. Our emphasis on AL’s developmental trajectory and issues of mental illness should not be understood to mean that these issues were considered more important than access to these weapons or that we do not consider such access to be a critical public health issue.

It is important to state at the outset that this report is crafted with recognition of the lives lost on December 14, and authors have a deep sense of compassion for the families of the children and adults who were murdered by AL. To honor the terrible loss of life, authors strove to create a comprehensive and candid report that we hope will inform approaches to making other children, families, and communities safer in the future.

This report will identify missed opportunities in the life of AL. Authors underscore however that only AL was responsible for his murderous actions at Sandy Hook. There can be no direct line drawn between one entity or person’s actions and a mass murder. This report cannot and does not answer the question of “why” AL committed murder. This report focuses on how to identify and assess youth from a very young age, the importance of effective mental health and educational service delivery, and the necessity of cross-system communication amongst professionals charged with the care of children.

Additionally, because the work of this report tracks AL from birth to the mass shooting the authors described AL in what appear to be human terms. Authors acknowledge that the telling of AL’s story may be painful for some readers, especially those irrevocably harmed by his terrible actions. However, the report required a review of AL’s life to address interventions and services that could have and should have been delivered over the course of his life. This report does not seek to draw any link between mental illness and violence, or between persons with autism and violence. As stated later in the report, there are millions of individuals with mental illness or developmental challenges in this country and worldwide, and a very small percentage of these individuals will engage in any act of violence, much less violence on a horrific scale. AL was an individual with mental illness and he was an individual who was diagnosed as having Autism Spectrum Disorder. This report outlines this story and makes recommendations accordingly. It is vital to note that AL was completely untreated in the years before the shooting and did not receive sustained, effective services during critical periods of his life, and it is this story that the report seeks to tell....
    "

https://www.ct.gov/oca/lib/oca/sandyhook11212014.pdf
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doghairrules likes this.
  17. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

18. YESorNO

Records ban proposed after release of gunman's writings

Mar 5, 2019

"HARTFORD, Conn. — Connecticut prosecutors have launched an effort to ban the public release of documents such as the writings of the Sandy Hook Elementary School gunman, in response to a state Supreme Court ruling that ordered the disclosure of the shooter’s belongings and ended a five-year legal battle.

Under the court’s order, state police in December released to The Hartford Courant hundreds of pages of documents that shed light on Adam Lanza’s anger and obsession with mass murder. The 20-year-old Lanza killed 20 first-graders, six educators and himself at the Newtown school on Dec. 14, 2012, after having killed his mother at their home in the same town.

Chief State’s Attorney Kevin Kane’s office has proposed a bill that would exempt from state freedom of information laws property seized by search warrants without an arrest being made, except if the property is filed or introduced as evidence in court.

The legislature’s Judiciary Committee is scheduled to hold a public hearing on the proposal Wednesday...."

Records ban proposed after release of gunman's writings
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------