New fingerprint machine developed in England

Discussion in 'Skyla Whitaker and Taylor Placker' started by USARDOG, Jan 24, 2009.

1. USARDOG

USARDOG New Member

Dr John Bond of England has developed a fingerprint machine that is able to pull latent prints of shell casings when conventional methods fail. Dr Bond's machine works by charging the case with 2000+ Volts, then pouring a fine black powder over it, the charge causing the powder to stick. This technique works by finding permanent changes in the metal due to handling, and has brought new evidence to several old cases already.

This information curtsey of the BBC 1-24-09

2. Loading...

3. SeriouslySearching

SeriouslySearching Active Member

OSBI needs to send a casing right on over to them!

4. GetSmart

GetSmart New Member

Not to keep repeating ..but The OSBI did not want their help..Remember when Scotland Yard offered their help and OSBI turned them down!!

5. SeriouslySearching

SeriouslySearching Active Member

They are worried about their rep, I guess! I cannot imagine why they would turn down help from one of the most experienced agencies in the world. GRRRR!

6. Skully

Skully Well-Known Member

I heard about this about a week or so ago on the Discover ID channel I think. I remember my brother always cleaning his guns with a polish rag, because finger prints rust and eat at the finish on the gun.

7. USARDOG

USARDOG New Member

This is a private Dr, and not connected with any agancy. They could send him a shell case just like sending one out to any other lab, but get the best results possible.

8. Lauren - CA

Lauren - CA The purpose of life is a life of purpose. Robert B

Is there any way of getting a hold of this doctor and providing him with the information? Maybe he can contact OSBI to offer his services. I agree with GS, Scotland Yard offered their services and they were turned down. Why I wonder?

9. k4kathy

k4kathy k4kathy

I never heard this.When did Scotland Yard offer assistance?Was it on the news or something?

10. USARDOG

USARDOG New Member

New Fingerprint Breakthrough By Forensic Scientists

ScienceDaily (June 4, 2008) — Forensic scientists at the University of Leicester, working with Northamptonshire Police, have announced a major breakthrough in crime detection which could lead to hundreds of cold cases being reopened.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The University's Forensic Research Centre has been working with Northamptonshire Police's scientific support unit to develop new ways of taking fingerprints from a crime scene.

Researchers in the University Department of Chemistry and the Police's scientific support unit have developed the method that enables scientists to 'visualise fingerprints' even after the print itself has been removed. They conducted a study into the way fingerprints can corrode metal surfaces. The technique can enhance -- after firing-- a fingerprint that has been deposited on a small calibre metal cartridge case before it is fired.

Dr John Bond, Honorary Fellow at the University of Leicester and Scientific Support Manager at Northamptonshire Police said: "For the first time we can get prints from people who handled a cartridge before it was fired."

"Wiping it down, washing it in hot soapy water makes no difference - and the heat of the shot helps the process we use.

"The procedure works by applying an electric charge to a metal - say a gun or bullet - which has been coated in a fine conducting powder, similar to that used in photocopiers.

"Even if the fingerprint has been washed off, it leaves a slight corrosion on the metal and this attracts the powder when the charge is applied, so showing up a residual fingerprint.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080602103331.htm

11. USARDOG

USARDOG New Member

Anyone know someone in the OSBI, or have a way to pass this info on to the OSBI?

12. Tom'sGirl

Tom'sGirl Former Member

13. Tom'sGirl

Tom'sGirl Former Member

It appears from the link to the article I just posted that Texas is aware of Dr. Bond and he may be aiding them in a case.

14. USARDOG

USARDOG New Member

Were the cases in a pile? Could the killers have been aware that fingerprints were very hard to lift from spent cases? Could they have been taunting police by piling them, thinking no finger prints could ever be recovered?

15. Houndacres

Houndacres Owned by a bloodhound!

I don't think the casings were in a pile. That was from a dream that someone posted about. I will try to find the post and add a link.
    Wow. . technology is changing all the time!

16. Tom'sGirl

Tom'sGirl Former Member

You're right Houndacres, it was posted by Bern here in the Psychic Perspective thread.

17. noZme

noZme Active Member

I began a thread in September about this new technology: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71328

Investigative agencies, many from the US, are lining up to have their cases' evidence examined..... I tend to give LE a lot of space, however 8 months after this crime, OSBI appears to be stumped. Was I naive to have expected a quick arrest in a small community exempt from anonymity in cities & suburbs? It may have been prudent early on for the investigation to hold their cards close, but likewise it seems past time to appeal to the public, even if it means revealing what they do know. The perp is likely local or known to someone local & I would think anyone would be happy to avenge the killer of children.... Do we know if OSBI has agents in Weleetka now or if there are any assigned to this murder only? If OSBI is not exploring every possible avenue, such as the advancement in UK of fingerprinting & continually asking for help from the public & local LE, something is horribly wrong.... my opinion.

18. Bargle

Bargle Member

Just airing another possibility. The locals may have already lifted fingerprints from the casings, but they don't match anyone. If the shooters haven't been in trouble with the law before, their fingerprints aren't likely to be on file.

19. Bargle

Bargle Member

Polite correction. The Psychic saw the cases stacked in the dream. They were not stacked. There are other references to their being in a pile. Rather than retype myself, here's one of my other posts on a possible reason for their being in a pile.

20. USARDOG

USARDOG New Member

Good thinking Bargle! Yes, a revolver would do exactly that.

21. USARDOG

USARDOG New Member

Good thinking Bargle! Yes, a revolver would do exactly that. I have been shooting automatics so long I never would have throught of that.