New Member and some questions

Discussion in 'Welcome To Websleuths' started by JR56, Jan 11, 2019.

1. JR56

JR56 New Member

Hello all, I am newly retired from Ohio interested in looking up information on cases. I am a little overwhelmed by everything that is on this site. Where is a good place to start? Also I am willing to help somebody look up information if needed. I do have a computer background and hope I can just help. Since I am retired I also have a lot of time on my hands!

Mauge, byo, Bit of hope and 4 others like this.
  2. Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose Well-Known Member

Most people newly arrived come because a particular case concerned them, occurred near them, etc. etc. Your help is greatly appreciated though because of the sheer volume of cases every single day I have no idea where to tell you to start. My post is mostly here to WELCOME you. Websleuths is the best!

Mauge, JR56, petrusha and 2 others like this.
  3. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Welcome to Ws JR56!
    If you skim through the forums...
    Websleuths
    You might find the type of cases that interest you such as cold cases, or current ones in the "Crimes in the news" section.
    Many here follow missing person threads and others follow unidentified human remains and try to see if a match can be made with those persons who have been missing for a long time.
    Sometimes one likes to stick to various cases that occur in their hometowns and others like to poke around in cases that happen all around the world ect.
    Just about everything interests me!
    Try starting with anything that catches your fancy, whether you are drawn to a person, place or thing and see where it takes you from there.

JR56 and Bit of hope like this.
  4. Bit of hope

Bit of hope It's time for brighter colors....

Welcome JR56! Nice to have you on board.
    I think a good way to start is deciding what kind of cases you are "attracted" to or start with the state you are living in (if you are from US of course). Or just start reading the do's and dont's.

I'm for instance mostly interested in older unidentified person's cases. Race and gender not important. It seems I have a "thing" for UID's who OD-ed, homeless people, suicides, transgender murders and UID's with tattoos. Other people "go for" the more recent missing persons cases or are particularly "into" missing or unidentified little children cases.

byo, JR56 and dotr like this.
  5. JR56

JR56 New Member

thank you

Bit of hope and dotr like this.
  6. JR56

JR56 New Member

thank you

Bit of hope and dotr like this.