New Minimum Wage: $6.55/HR

I cannot imagine raising a family on minimum wage. I think it should be raised a little myself.

georgiagirl-We need a minimum wage otherwise many employers wouldn't even give that much.

I am in Michigan and I do believe our Minimum wage is at $7.40 an hour here.

No its Aussies dollars..I think our Aussie dollar is worth about 97 American cents but it varies from time to time.

I would love to see anyone house themselves pay a power bill keep a car running pay for auto insurance ect. and eat on 6.55 an hour.
And if you need child care forget it.
You wonder how some of these children get left with boyfriends who abuse them?
Believe it, there are many people faced with that and not just burger flipping teenagers.
And Im sure most of them dont have the luxury of pondering abstracts like government interference.

When the minimum wage goes up so does the price of everything. No one is getting ahead.

Just like my mom who gets a gov't pension (my dad who is deceased worked for the gov't). Every time there is a raise for cost of living, her insurance goes up and so do the prices at the grocery store.

What is considered poverty level in this country?

I cannot speak for any other areas, but where I am the median income is 85K for a family of 4. Seems like a good amount of money, right? Well, let's remove 37% for income taxes, then we need to split how we figure it-if this family owns a house, let's assume a mortgage of 900.00 but we will bump it to 1000.00 to include property taxes insurance etc...if you heat with oil or gas you are paying easily 250.00-300.00, 110.00 for electricity, 75.00 cable and 125.00 for phone/cell/internet. Gasoline for the family vehicles being what it is, lets assume 75.00-80.00/ week for the family mini van and then an additional 40.00 for the second car...so we can say 500.00 for gasoline. Now, assuming our family enjoys eating, I think we can easily assume 250.00/week in groceries. That brings our household expenses to about 3310.00/month...now things being what they are, this family undoubtably has student loans/car loans/credit cards they are paying on, right?? Let's assume at least 1 car payment of 300.00 and credit card misc of 300.00. That leaves our family with a disposable income of....drum roll please...roughly 490.00 per month for all of the extras...medical, emergency, swimming lessons...lunch out at work or dinner, Christmas, gifts for birthdays....

85K= roughly 37.00/hour.

The buisnesses that employ minimum wage workers make plenty of profit. They make millions!

Unfortunately, the government protects the wealthy. The government doesn't care about the hard working poor people. They probably laugh when making the laws.

Corruption at the highest levels make me angry.

$1.50 an hour cleaning out pockets at my uncle's dry cleaning plant. Every Saturday for 12 hours when I was 14.

The things people leave in their pockets...YIKES..

I'm gonna need my pack of gum back.....

When the COL increases 3% and a gallon of milk costs 1.69 more than it did the year before, and premiums are increasing by 10.00+ dollars a month, increasing medicare col 1.5% DOES NOT help...but it is a nice gesture.

Now, anyone who has read any of my posts may not believe this, but I am not a fan of big govt. That being said, it is our best option since society has swung from looking out for each other to looking out for me and me alone. Until the pendulum swings back again...which I believe it is doing...what shall we tell all these children who go to school with hungry bellies because their by and large single parent families have to choose between shelter and food? Not to mention the seniors who have to choose their meds/shelter or food?

If we were not the richest, most powerful country in the world, we might say too bad so sad...however we have enough money to spend our resourses liberally outside of this country-(cough Iraq, Afghanistan cough) so how about throwing a little bone by way of these people who pay taxes on their 6.55/hour??

What should the minimum wage be?
9.50 would be a good start.
And no inspite of the business owner propaganda I dont believe the world would screech to a halt on its axis if that happened.

The min. wage is fine with me. My husband is the provider so when I work a min. wage job it's just for extra spending money. Now if I had to be the bread winner of the family obviously that wouldn't be enough for us.

Well, full time employment at 40 hours per week is 2,080 hours. So $9.50 per hour is a gross of $19,760 and $18,246 after Social Security and Medicare. That's $1,520 per month cash - pretty tough to raise a family on that. Why would you set it so low?

In my part of the States, it's $7.40 per hour. Using 's math example, there is no way a person, let alone family, can live on this here per month. Rents average $1000 per month. That's a 2 bedroom in a decent area. In not so "decent" areas, the average is still over $800.

With this amount of income, it is considered poverty level. You can apply for Food Stamps and Section 8 housing. Not so easy to do, though. There is a severe lack of homes and the waiting list is several years long. For a family, that is. A single person would have a much harder time getting assistance and I'm not talking someone in their twenties...

It's scary to think how can you possibly have a life when you can make so little to survive.

Do the government pay out the "dole" as we call it in Australia to the unemployed. Our government do and we have so many out of work because the government will pay them to stay at home, will have to find out what they receive, will look into it and let you know.

This is a link to show what our government pay people who do not work and extra benefits they are entitled to.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/co034_0807/$file/co034_0807en.pdf

I am against the information you will see in the link above, if you dont work and are able too, then you shouldnt not be paid anything, or for limited time only. There are so many dole bludgers that will not work because they get money for doing nothing.

If you want work here you can get it, some people just dont want to work.

But the Government pays for it, right? So it doesn't cost anyone anything.

No the tax payers pay for it really, those who work and pay their taxes. Then the government take their money out of our taxes, so the government dont lose any money, not a lot anyways. Our taxes are suppose to go to other things, like health, education, road repairs and the likes not to the bludgers who dont want to work, but it does.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutalicy
Back