New Rape Law In OK to Allow No Police Involvement

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by SeriouslySearching, Jan 3, 2008.

1. SeriouslySearching

SeriouslySearching Active Member

For many years, I questioned the law forcing women (and men) to automatically go forward with charges in order to receive a rape exam securing evidence. This new law allows the decision to fall back to them and hopefully encourage more to come forward to get the help they need at the time. :clap:

This law will go into effect nationwide by 2009. Since Oklahoma got on board in November, seven people have gone in for the confidential exam. Some of those victims included men.

~snip~

Now rape and assault victims can get a free medical exam and abuse counseling without first filing a police report. “The exam we will do on someone who doesn't involve law enforcement will be done exactly like a case that would involve law enforcement."

http://www.fox23.com/content/flashp...ntent_id=f8d964b2-d29b-454b-bc61-6316809d2718

2. Loading...

3. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

excellent!!!

4. OneLostGrl

OneLostGrl I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane

How wonderful! Hopefully other states will follow!!

5. philamena

philamena Former Member

It's about time!

6. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

I had no idea that women were even put into such a situation. How awful to not be able to get the help they need without strings attached.

7. angelmom

angelmom The love stays...forever in our hearts

Okay, my first reaction to this was :snooty:

Why would anyone want to let time lapse before looking for a rapist? But after reading the article I understand better. It allows victims to get that critical evidence taken in a timely manner while absorbing what happened to them.

I think some of them might believe they are never going to tell, but that they just want medical treatment. And then once the exam is over and they've told someone once, it makes it a tiny bit easier to report it. Especially when there is a lot of evidence. You think?

I hope it helps! Thanks for enlightening me.