New Website or Hoax??

Discussion in 'Madeleine McCann' started by Salem, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salem

Salem Former Member

:eek: Has everyone seen this? Do you think it is real or is it some sort of a bad joke?

http://www.freekatemccann.com/

The "tone" of the site seems to be flippant to me, so my thought is it is a hoax.

Salem

2. Loading...

3. IrishMist

IrishMist You can't control the wind - but you can adjust yo

Sure seems like a hoax, doesn't it? I'd also make sure my anti-spyware software is up to date before I clicked around too much. :D

4. Salem

Salem Former Member

I just went back and was reading through some of the articles posted, etc. and SHOCKED as I am, I now think the darn thing is for real. Again, I'm blown away........

I think it just went up in the last day or so. Some articles have comments posted, I didn't look at them all. There is a LOT of advertising on the site.

I'm confused, I admit it!

Salem

5. IrishMist

Maybe I'll go poke around a bit later on. It seems to me that a supporter wouldn't jump the gun on Kate being arrested, so that's a red flag right off the bat, IMO.

Thanks for finding and posting, though! :)

6. daffodil

daffodil New Member

I think my eyesight must be going-I read that as "freek ate mccann" lol.

7. IrishMist

LOL!!

8. Salem

Salem Former Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's how I read it originally. It wasn't until I got to the website that I saw what they were really saying.

Salem

9. IrishMist

Alright, I looked around a bit. My guess is that it's a real supporter, but an unofficial site.

10. daffodil

daffodil New Member

Phew!! Not just me then!!!

11. Trino

Trino Active Member

I think it's for real. Nothing surprises me anymore, especially about this case.

12. SleuthMom

SleuthMom Former Member

A supporter who seems not to have much confidence (the domain itself is the clue).

13. hcc2007

hcc2007 New Member

Hm ... The site has some pretty racey advertising: First page of Blogs has an ad that says "Do Not Click unless you are 18". I clicked of course, and it took me to a 'love/compatibility calculator.'

I think in addition to "Hoax" and "McCann support" we should add a third possibility:

"Cashing in on Madeleine"

14. meowy

meowy New Member

That "don't click unless you're 18" ad crops up everywhere, I even saw it over at MyFolia the other day.. which is a gardening community site.'

I gotta admit, I thought it said "freak ate mccann" too. Time to wash my glasses I guess :)

15. Utopia

Utopia New Member

Me too! Or should I say, me five, six ...lol

16. Kelly

Kelly Founder, Project Jason

Registrant:
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: FREEKATEMCCANN.COM
    Created on: 08-Sep-07
    Expires on: 08-Sep-08
    Last Updated on: 08-Sep-07

Administrative Contact:
    Private, Registration FREEKATEMCCANN.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:
    Private, Registration FREEKATEMCCANN.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.AOOZZ.COM
    NS2.AOOZZ.COM

17. L L & S

L L & S New Member

I'm typing oh so gently as I have a horrible headache and even jarring my head this much hurts.

I did however, want to share a couple of my observations about this new Free Kate McCann web site.

Someone actually went out and got the domain name Free Kate McCann. Why? Do they know she's going to be detained at some point in the near future? Is it a family member who might have more information than is available to us? Is It someone in the McCann camp who was told by a PR person to start one? If they should start asking for donations then I would certainly check it out with someone.

16 ads on the home page. I don't use Wordpress* and I would like to know if it works like Photobucket for example . If you want to get rid of the ads you just pay to upgrade your account. I went one level up in Photobucket and now I don't get the annoying ads anymore. Does anyone use Wordpress who could say?

It will be interesting to see if actual add space is sold on this site in the future. That would make me think that this site is being produced by someone NOT in the McCann camp. Maybe a friend of a friend.

Or maybe it's some "crime groupie" who thinks they might get something out of this for themselves. Have they put a up a link to Gerry's blog? Do you think they will? Has anyone asked the question at Gerry's blog "What is this Free Kate McCann blog about, and is it coming from your camp or a total stranger?" I think it would be perfectly fine to send a note to the webmaster at Gerry's blog and ask if this is a legitimate Pro McCann site, especially if they start asking for funding of any kind. And if he knows who is running it.

*Is this a free blogging website like Eblogger, I know there are a bumch of them out there I can't remember any of the names right now, I'm sorry.

please forgive the rant... It has taken me almost two hours to write this and I hope it makes sense. I'm going to have to take something for my head and put some soft music on. Then I hope to come back and see what you guys know about any of this. Thanks for reading this long complicated observation. I am probably way off. Thats ok. Let me know.

Love laughter & sunshine.

18. poco

poco A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.

It looks like a real Website to me - don't know if I've ever seen a fake Website....... :confused:

19. L L & S

L L & S New Member

I would think "fake" would be one that says it's in Maddie's benefit to help her family... and then turns out not actually be associated with them at all. Like a scam artist. That's just my opinion.

:) ... and I'm not saying this one is. I'm just throwing out some ideas to think about.

20. L L & S

L L & S New Member

O/T one second.

Poco that animation of your cat is absolutely hilarious. I've enjoyed for ages! Did you do it yourself?

21. CaliKid

CaliKid Former Member

I don't know. It looks either way to me- supporter of Kate or a cleverly done-up hoax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.