NY - Parking garage collapses in Lower Manhattan, multiple injuries, 18 April 2023

dotr

Reaction score
''LOWER MANHATTAN, Manhattan (WABC) -- A parking garage has partially collapsed in Lower Manhattan leaving multiple injured.

The parking garage is located at 57 Ann Street between Nassau Street and William Street.

The floors of the three-story building on Ann Street collapsed at around 4:15 p.m., sending cars crashing down.

Several people inside the garage were injured.

Firefighters were working on reaching the victims.''

It happened shortly after 4 p.m. at Ann Street near Nassau Street in the Financial District.

FDNY officials say several people are injured and others may be trapped.

''Video from the scene showed multiple cars stacked on top of one another amid crumbled concrete. The second floor of the structure collapsed onto the first, according to the FDNY.

Building Collapse: Expect traffic delays & emergency personnel in area of Ann Street & Nassau Street, Manhattan. Avoid the area.

1681851079746.png
''Officials have evacuated the university building that is next to the garage that's collapsed.
The upper levels of the three-story building collapsed around 4:15 p.m., sending cars crashing down.''
13150368_041823-wabc-parking-garage-collapse-img.jpg

''A parking garage has partially collapsed in Lower Manhattan leaving multiple injured Tuesday afternoon.
Officials said there's one person dead, one person injured and at least one missing.

Firefighters are working on reaching the victims but are navigating the unstable building and hazardous conditions from gasoline and potentially explosive car parts.

Records show there are open hazardous building violations from 2008 for cracks in the concrete.''
13150318_map-clean.jpg

DM coverage:
Video from the initial aftermath of the collapse showed a woman screaming: 'Get out!'

People were also trapped in the elevator shaft which caved in.

This is horrible.
Rest in peace to the deceased.
It sounds like there may be more casualties ?
Sorry for anyone trapped under the rubble, and hoping a fire doesn't start !

All over this country there is an aging infrastructure that is largely being ignored.
IMO.

Last edited:
This is horrible.

All over this country there is an aging infrastructure that is largely being ignored.
IMO.
Your comment got me thinking. I'm not a car person but the cars that we drive have gotten heavier over the past 40 years, by about 1000 lbs. Add that with more EV's which weigh more than combustible engines and I think we may see more of this type of tragic event especially with older structures. yikes.

Your comment got me thinking. I'm not a car person but the cars that we drive have gotten heavier over the past 40 years, by about 1000 lbs. Add that with more EV's which weigh more than combustible engines and I think we may see more of this type of tragic event especially with older structures. yikes.
Agreed !
Parking garages scare me, even without the threat of a collapse.
People whiz around inside of them, driving like they're at an amusement park ride.
We nearly collided with someone once.

I've thought about the recent railroad tragedies and if those rails are even being properly maintained by the owners ?
"Tragedy" as in while I don't know if there have been any deaths, innocent people have been basically thrown from their homes due to the chemical pollutants.
Imo.

This is horrible.

IMO.
This collapse reminds me a lot of the Champlain Towers collapse in Surfside, FL. It too had structural issues. Spalling, for one.

Re NYC's garage collapse: One violation, issued in November 2003, was labeled “hazardous.”

Inspectors found concrete “slab cracks” in the first-floor ceiling, missing concrete covering steel beams and defective concrete with “exposed rear cracks,” according to the document.

What is spalling? Spalling is a term used to describe areas of concrete which have cracked and delaminated from the substrate.

Champlain's issues were described as a cancer spreading through the building.

When you can visually see the concrete spalling that means that the rebar holding it together is rusting and deteriorating beneath the surface,” said Wodnicki in a letter to residents.

I think we'll see a lot more of these due to the age of some buildings and the lack of money to fix them up like Champlain and others. It's scary. I'm glad I no longer have to deal with these sorts of buildings.

rbbm.

''Workers searched for a garage worker presumed dead under tons of concrete and crumpled vehicles. Late Wednesday, the Fire Department said it had recovered a body and turned it over to the city’s chief medical examiner’s office. The identity of the victim was not immediately released, and it wasn’t immediately known if it was that of the missing garage worker.

“Right now we’re transitioning to how we safely take down that building,“ Emergency Management Commissioner Zach Iscol said at a news conference, a day after the multilevel parking lot collapsed just as a stream of customers were returning from work to retrieve their cars.

It was a delicate operation to remove as many as 90 vehicles scattered on the structure’s buckled top deck and amid tons of shattered concrete.''

Theories abounded, and officials said they would consider all potential explanations — including the possibility that the structural integrity of older parking structures might be undermined by today’s fleets of bigger, heavier SUVs.
The mayor said that could be a matter worthy of investigation.
“We are living in a new environment and we have to constantly analyze and upgrade everything from weight capacity to how many cars can be there,“ Adams said.''

rbbm.

''Workers searched for a garage worker presumed dead under tons of concrete and crumpled vehicles. Late Wednesday, the Fire Department said it had recovered a body and turned it over to the city’s chief medical examiner’s office. The identity of the victim was not immediately released, and it wasn’t immediately known if it was that of the missing garage worker.

“Right now we’re transitioning to how we safely take down that building,“ Emergency Management Commissioner Zach Iscol said at a news conference, a day after the multilevel parking lot collapsed just as a stream of customers were returning from work to retrieve their cars.

It was a delicate operation to remove as many as 90 vehicles scattered on the structure’s buckled top deck and amid tons of shattered concrete.''

Theories abounded, and officials said they would consider all potential explanations — including the possibility that the structural integrity of older parking structures might be undermined by today’s fleets of bigger, heavier SUVs.
The mayor said that could be a matter worthy of investigation.
“We are living in a new environment and we have to constantly analyze and upgrade everything from weight capacity to how many cars can be there,“ Adams said.''
Oh yes, that's what I was talking about! The weight of our vehicles has changed, slowly over time but that could be escalated in the near future.

Yes, i got excited when i read that thinking about the astute observation in your post!
honestly, I saw a tik tok today referencing EV fleet/cargo vehicles today and the weight of those is absurd. They were talking about bridges but it got me thinking and reading. I don't like bridges now! Never have but I have never given one ounce of consideration to the safety of a parking garage. I really should as I would imagine bridges have many more safety checks than parking garages. again, yikes!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ecdub
Back