New York polio case may be "tip of the iceberg," August 2022

ChatteringBirds

Reaction score

“New York state health officials have found indications of additional cases of polio virus in wastewater samples from two different counties, leading them to warn that hundreds of people may be infected with the potentially serious virus.”

August 4, 2022

Urging Immunization, State Department of Health Updates New Yorkers On Polio Detected In New York State​

Following the Identification of a Paralytic Polio Case in Rockland County, More Virus Found in Environmental Samples in Rockland and Orange Counties - Evidence of Local Transmission

To Keep New Yorkers and Children Polio-Free, Unvaccinated New Yorkers Should Get Immunized Right Away​

health.ny.gov/polio

———

August 1, 2022
—-

Last edited:
  • Both Rockland and Orange counties have vaccination rates around 60%, among the worst vaccine coverage in the state

My kids' shot records are supposed to be right here (with the 8088 chip) and someone moved 'em.

Hhhhmmm, the kids are grown, maybe they have their own shot records....

My Dad remembers that during peak polio years, 1947 for example, the city pool never opened & the church didn't hold Sunday school for kids. Social distancing for a different organism.

jmho ymmv lrr

It sounds like a likely "vaccine-derived poliovirus" has been detected in the wastewater of London, which is
"concerning as such virus behaves more similarly to 'wild polio and may, on rare occasions, lead to cases of paralysis in unvaccinated individuals.'"

I wonder if that's what was detected in New York?

It sounds like a likely "vaccine-derived poliovirus" has been detected in the wastewater of London, which is
"concerning as such virus behaves more similarly to 'wild polio and may, on rare occasions, lead to cases of paralysis in unvaccinated individuals.'"

Yes...Same thing...
I don't know how it works, but the live virus vaccine in some individuals can be more active. Some of it is shed...

I found this about smallpox vaccine: The scabby blister can transmit cowpox to unvaccinated people.

Last week, the New York State Health Department said the CDC had detected poliovirus through its wastewater surveillance. Six samples were collected from Rockland County across two months and five samples came from neighboring Orange County, which has a lower polio vaccination rate than Rockland.

The samples were found to be genetically linked to the virus that infected the 20-year-old Rockland man.

Shortly after the poliovirus was detected through wastewater surveillance, the CDC deployed a team to investigate the recent polio case.

One community leader from Rockland County, who requested to stay anonymous, told CNN that the team was currently the “opposite of cautiously optimistic.”

Health officials found poliovirus in New York City wastewater, the city's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene announced Friday. That means polio is likely circulating undetected in the city.

The virus was previously detected in wastewater samples from Orange County and Rockland County, north of the city, in May, June and July. One case of paralytic polio was identified in Rockland County last month, in an unvaccinated adult...

OT- I'm laughing (not that it's funny) because now they are using "possible tip of the ice berg" to describe the Langya virus too.

CNN: New Langya virus found in China could be 'tip of the iceberg' for undiscovered pathogens, researchers say.

Updated article from yesterday. Officials believe it's circulating silently in N.Y.:

About 3 in 4 people infected with polio don't have symptoms, but they're still capable of spreading the virus to others, according to the CDC. Among the rest, most have symptoms such as a sore throat or headache that could easily be overlooked or confused with other illnesses. Only a relatively small number, about 1 in 200 infected people, become paralyzed

CNN: 'Silent' spread of polio in New York drives CDC to consider additional vaccinations for some people.

Does London use Sabin oral polio vaccines? My understanding was that the Sabin version (rather than Salk) is the only type that could possibly shed through feces (diaper changes etc) thru a small number of those vaccinated with it, and has not been used in the US since 2000. Some other countries still use it iirc. JMO this is not at all vaccine related, it is unvaccinated related. Ugh.

Does London use Sabin oral polio vaccines? My understanding was that the Sabin version (rather than Salk) is the only type that could possibly shed through feces (diaper changes etc) thru a small number of those vaccinated with it, and has not been used in the US since 2000. Some other countries still use it iirc. JMO this is not at all vaccine related, it is unvaccinated related. Ugh.

@meanmaryjean @LaborDayRN @White_Mountains mind explaining this? I think this is correct, but want your take.

I'm old, remember eating the sugar cube with the solution added by dropper.

Have a doctor's appointment Tuesday -- adding the polio booster question to my list. I'll let ya'll know.

jmho ymmv lrr

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes