Missing persons/murder victims last seen at New York Port Authority Bus Terminal

Mountain_Kat, see my most recent post in the MB thread. In it, I lay out all of the possibilities as to where MBB might have been heading.

I'm a little confused as to why the Port Authority Bus Terminal is being discussed. Has it been connected to any of the Gilgo Beach bodies? I know it's served as a departure point in many missing person cases, but I wasn't aware that it's connected to this particular case.

Maureen's last known location was NYPA bus terminal, and one of the cell phone calls from LISK to Melissa's little sister pinged somewhere close to NYPA.

If she took Subways or Amtrak, the answer is NO.

The only trains which bring commuters to LI would be the LIRR. One can get the LIRR train right out of Penn station (short distance from NYPA) taking the Ronkonkoma branch to Brentwood & then need to take a cab to Hauppauge as bus transportation is NOT like the City, it is unreliable, infrequent & leaving one walking too much. Bottom line, it sucks.

Many times ppl will take the BabyIon branch cause it's a HUB which has more trains running more frequently & then take a cab out east & north to Bay Shore, Hauppauge, Patchogue, Brentwood, even the Hamptons. When time is an issue the Babylon branch is most used & for those where money isn't an issue, paying for a cab $20, 30, 40, 50 or more is more common than one would think.

Hmmm...well, we know that money was an issue for Maureen, so I can't see her spending her own money on a cab. Of course, that doesn't mean she couldn't have taken a cab to a John and he paid the fair when she arrived.

(Just rolling some ideas around in my head.)

Hmmm...well, we know that money was an issue for Maureen, so I can't see her spending her own money on a cab. Of course, that doesn't mean she couldn't have taken a cab to a John and he paid the fair when she arrived.

(Just rolling some ideas around in my head.)

Money is an issue for working girls & partly a reason for being in the biz. The outlay for the cab is an investment in the date with a healthy return. Cabs require out-of-town calls paid in advance. The only time money is collected @ the destination is if the address is known to be a "customer" & the money is good to be paid.

Maureen's last known location was NYPA bus terminal, and one of the cell phone calls from LISK to Melissa's little sister pinged somewhere close to NYPA.

Sorta yes, and yes.

MBB has a connection to the Port Authority, yes, but the last contact she made with anybody was a phone call to her sister in which she stated that she was at Penn Station.

Regarding MBB and the Port Authority: From MY understanding of it, all that's known is that "MBB made a phone call to her friend from the Port Authority on July 9, 2007." That can be interpreted any number of ways:

1. There is visual evidence of MBB at the Port Authority on July 9, 2007 along with confirmation (see nos. 2 and 3) that she made a phone call in the area.

2. There is evidence of MBB making a phone call from the Port Authority on July 9, 2007 via nearby cell phone tower data.

3. There is evidence of MBB making a phone call from the Port Authority on July 9, 2007 via testimony from the person with whom she spoke. e.g. "Hey, it's Maureen. I'm at the Port Authority."

Anybody have any idea which it is? No. 1 would be the most helpful to the investigation, no. 2 the least.

Regarding the second portion of your comment, Mountain_Kat, yes - LISK definitely made a call that was detected from a cell tower in the area of the Port Authority/Times Square.

If I recall correctly, the connection that MBB has to Penn Station is similar to no. 3 above - there's testimony that MBB called her sister and informed her that she was at Penn Station.

I hope these posts don't come off as confusing and/or annoying - I'm really trying to run through all of this information (and there's a LOT of it) with a fine-toothed comb. I should note, however, that some people might view this whole thing as negligible - the Port Authority Bus Terminal is a whopping seven blocks from Penn Station.

If I can speculate - and if I'm not mistaken, that's what we're here to do - I think MBB made two phone calls on July 9, 2010 while she walked from her hotel to Penn Station. She got in touch with her friend while walking south on 8th Avenue around W 40th/41st Street and informed her that she was "at the Port Authority" before getting to her eventual destination seven blocks later - Penn Station. At that point, she phoned her sister.

Sorta yes, and yes.

MBB has a connection to the Port Authority, yes, but the last contact she made with anybody was a phone call to her sister in which she stated that she was at Penn Station.

Regarding MBB and the Port Authority: From MY understanding of it, all that's known is that "MBB made a phone call to her friend from the Port Authority on July 9, 2010." That can be interpreted any number of ways:

1. There is visual evidence of MBB at the Port Authority on July 9, 2010 along with confirmation (see nos. 2 and 3) that she made a phone call in the area.

2. There is evidence of MBB making a phone call from the Port Authority on July 9, 2010 via nearby cell phone tower data.

3. There is evidence of MBB making a phone call from the Port Authority on July 9, 2010 via testimony from the person with whom she spoke. e.g. "Hey, it's Maureen. I'm at the Port Authority."

Anybody have any idea which it is? No. 1 would be the most helpful to the investigation, no. 2 the least.

Regarding the second portion of your comment, Mountain_Kat, yes - LISK definitely made a call that was detected from a cell tower in the area of the Port Authority/Times Square.

If I recall correctly, the connection that MBB has to Penn Station is similar to no. 3 above - there's testimony that MBB called her sister and informed her that she was at Penn Station.

I hope these posts don't come off as confusing and/or annoying - I'm really trying to run through all of this information (and there's a LOT of it) with a fine-toothed comb. I should note, however, that some people might view this whole thing as negligible - the Port Authority Bus Terminal is a whopping seven blocks from Penn Station.

If I can speculate - and if I'm not mistaken, that's what we're here to do - I think MBB made two phone calls on July 9, 2010 while she walked from her hotel to Penn Station. She got in touch with her friend while walking south on 8th Avenue around W 40th/41st Street and informed her that she was "at the Port Authority" before getting to her eventual destination seven blocks later - Penn Station. At that point, she phoned her sister.

FYI: Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25, of Norwich, Connecticut, was last seen on July 9, 2007 not 2010.

It was Megan Waterman who went missing in 2010, precicely: June 6, 2010

And Amber Lynn Costello who disappeared Sept 2, 2010.

FYI: Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25, of Norwich, Connecticut, was last seen on July 9, 2007 not 2010.

It was Megan Waterman who went missing in 2010, precicely: June 6, 2010

And Amber Lynn Costello who disappeared Sept 2, 2010.

Oops. Yes yes. Gonna fix that typo in my original post. Apologies!

:websleuther:
Sorta yes, and yes.

Regarding MBB and the Port Authority: From MY understanding of it, all that's known is that "MBB made a phone call to her friend from the Port Authority on July 9, 2007." That can be interpreted any number of ways:

1. There is visual evidence of MBB at the Port Authority on July 9, 2007 along with confirmation (see nos. 2 and 3) that she made a phone call in the area.

2. There is evidence of MBB making a phone call from the Port Authority on July 9, 2007 via nearby cell phone tower data.

3. There is evidence of MBB making a phone call from the Port Authority on July 9, 2007 via testimony from the person with whom she spoke. e.g. "Hey, it's Maureen. I'm at the Port Authority."

Good logical analysis. Possibly came into NYPA via bus or Amtrak, then walked or took subway to Penn Sta. then LIRR possibly to the HUB, Babylon. As for the "Ping", question is, could location indicate Penn as well being that they are within a few blks?

One thing: my original theory states that MBB walked from her hotel to Penn Station, passing the Port Authority Bus Terminal along the way. I'm not so sure that might be the case anymore.

MBB was staying at the Super 8 Hotel on 46th Street. It's no longer there, but its address was 59 W. 46th Street. Anyway, if MBB was to walk from her hotel - the last place her friend Sara saw her - to Penn Station, she probably wouldn't have walked down 8th Avenue to get there. My guess is that she would've walked west out of her hotel and turned left on 7th Avenue, not 8th Avenue. Penn Station lies between 7th and 8th Avenue.

Hm.

One thing: my original theory states that MBB walked from her hotel to Penn Station, passing the Port Authority Bus Terminal along the way. I'm not so sure that might be the case anymore.

MBB was staying at the Super 8 Hotel on 46th Street. It's no longer there, but its address was 59 W. 46th Street. Anyway, if MBB was to walk from her hotel - the last place her friend Sara saw her - to Penn Station, she probably wouldn't have walked down 8th Avenue to get there. My guess is that she would've walked west out of her hotel and turned left on 7th Avenue, not 8th Avenue. Penn Station lies between 7th and 8th Avenue.

Hm.

According to Kolker in his book:
July 9, 2007 Maureen Brainard-Barnes was last seen in her room at the Super 8 Hotel in midtown Manhattan. Her last known call that night is to her sister, Missy, during which she says she is at Penn Station.

Who stated a friend, Sara, last saw Maureen in her room at the hotel? If that's the case, then maybe Maureen told Sara where she was going? Or Sara knew of a call Maureen got? I would imagine that her sister, Missy, must have been accurate with understanding that Maureen told her she was at Penn Station.

Maureen Brainard Barnes: last seen at NYPA bus terminal on July 9, 2007
Jessica Taylor: Last seen working near the NYPA bus terminal the week before her body was found. Late July, 2003
Jane Diane Seymour: Last known location was NYPA bus terminal, where she called her father looking for a ride home, July 22, 2005
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/seymour_jamie.html

So, I just had an opportunity to listen to Tricia's interview with the author of Lost Girls. In it, the author said something to the effect that MBB was more likely to take the train and it was more likely that she was at Penn station.

Color me confused! :banghead:

Kat you posted "last seen". I thought that she was "last seen" at PA too. Was she really ever "seen" by someone at PA?

According to Kolker in his book:
July 9, 2007 Maureen Brainard-Barnes was last seen in her room at the Super 8 Hotel in midtown Manhattan. Her last known call that night is to her sister, Missy, during which she says she is at Penn Station.

Who stated a friend, Sara, last saw Maureen in her room at the hotel? If that's the case, then maybe Maureen told Sara where she was going? Or Sara knew of a call Maureen got? I would imagine that her sister, Missy, must have been accurate with understanding that Maureen told her she was at Penn Station.

I'm rereading this thread, trying to find out where MBB was last seen. If she told her sister that she was at Penn station, then how did PA come into the equation? Forgive me. I think I must've missed something. :blushing:

The port authority connection still puzzles me and I think about it often. Where they getting on the A train out to brooklyn?

I'm rereading this thread, trying to find out where MBB was last seen. If she told her sister that she was at Penn station, then how did PA come into the equation? Forgive me. I think I must've missed something. :blushing:

I think it was reported that her call was made from the Port Authority. Typically PA stands for Pennslyvania. So does Penn Station. Did something get lost in translation? I ask because her way back to Connecticut would be the Metro North. Thats at Grand Central. The train to Long Island is at Penn Station. I wonder.

:websleuther:

Good logical analysis. Possibly came into NYPA via bus or Amtrak, then walked or took subway to Penn Sta. then LIRR possibly to the HUB, Babylon. As for the "Ping", question is, could location indicate Penn as well being that they are within a few blks?
Iam a bit confused, was there a ping for Maureen in Babylon?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back