Deceased/Not Found New Zealand - Ben Smart, 21, & Olivia Hope, 17, Marlborough Sounds, 1 Jan 1998

Discussion in '1990's Missing' started by jerryinohio, Jan 3, 2005.

1. jerryinohio

jerryinohio Inactive

Hi all,

I'm kind've on a fishing expedition here. Some years ago (mid to late 1990's?) there was a case of a young couple that disappeared at a party at a marina or yacht club during a party. I believe it was in Australia or New Zealand but I can't find anything on Google about it. At the time there was a website that was tracking the case, maybe from a newspaper, but like I said, I can't find anything on it now.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Thanks,

Jerry

2. Loading...

3. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member

There was a story on the television a few months back about an American couple who went Scuba Diving while visiting Australia. When they came up, the boat with the rest of the divers had left them behind. Their shoes and some items were found back at the marina, but search efforts did not begin immediately. When the search did get underway, they were not found.

4. sneeble

sneeble Inactive

5. curves

curves New Member

I am from NZ and this was huge when it happened - stuff like this doesn't happen too often back home! My best friends mother was also on the jury that convicted Scott Watson and afterwards she said without a doubt she believed he was guilty, and that was before his past history was released to the public.
    It's really interesting that someone in Ohio is interested in Ben/Olivia, can I be nosey and ask why? ;)

6. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

From April 2010:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10637699

From March 2015:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/268036/scott-watson-attempts-to-clear-name

Details of the disappearance:

http://www.crime.co.nz/c-files.aspx?ID=200

7. alb1on

alb1on Active Member

Bump.

This is an odd case. The convicted (Watson) was found guilty despite the police being unable to place him with the victims, his boat being of a different type to that described by the main witness and timing discrepancies in the boat journey. Either they got it right (but convicted on evidence which would have led any competent judge to give a directed verdict) or they got it wrong and prevented a serious effort in the right direction. I do not know which it is but it seems only 23% of New Zealanders now accept the verdict (although I would like to see the poll methodology) http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/319030/less-conviction-about-watson-conviction-poll.

8. Davereid

Davereid New Member

I watched the documentary Doubt The Scott Watson case and was convinced he was not guilty. Then someone from New Zealand told me about the books and a podcast by Ian Wishart. I became a bit obsessed about the case for a bit but after reading his book which logically disputes any doubt raised I think he did indeed kill them. I wish he would just tell where their bodies are buried or what he did with them.

Wishart speculates they were buried in a cove or relatively lightly traveled area in the sounds. I admit the locations are not familiar with me being from the states. The boat difference can be discrepancies in eye witness testimony and the fact he painted his boat the New Years day. Seems weird he would do that. Plus the testimony of other people not included in the documentary that do lend to his culpability.

I read someone's opinion where they felt uncomfortable not having an opinion on cases with sensationalized documentaries like Steven Avery. I can relate but in this case I am not on the fence I think Scott Watson got drunk and acted on something that was always there in his personality. Something friends of his would relate existed such as hatred of women and violent outbursts coupled with a substance abuse problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk