New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by north_west, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Reasonable & Just

Reasonable & Just United We Stand

I just want to say that I love Websleuths. This place brings together so many diverse viewpoints. But what unites us? I believe it's a common desire for justice and compassion for the suffering that just seems to go on and on, in so many ways and on nearly every thread. Peace to you all and prayers to all who live in pain and fear.

2. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

New Zealand terror attack at mosques in Christchurch: Live updates - CNN
    4 min ago
    SOON: New Zealand police give an update on the attack

49 prayer mats for the 49 victims
    A group of people in Melbourne, Australia, took part in a vigil for the victims of the attacks at two Christchurch, New Zealand, mosques, according to Zahraa Albadri.

They put out 49 prayer mats with candles for the 49 victims.

Here's a photo from the scene:

[​IMG]

3. human

human Well-Known Member

4. human

human Well-Known Member

They have to add one more. 50 are dead

5. squid

squid Well-Known Member

Press TV @PressTV

Edit to add: Sorry press conference just ended. Short conference.

50 dead now. 50 injured.

6. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

Oh, that is so haunting and sad.

dotr, human, cobalt sky and 2 others like this.
  7. The 13th

The 13th Well-Known Member

Nothing, because that's what he is and what his ideas are. They don't have merit, they don't have a point, and pretending that it's anything other than completely unacceptable, primitive, and uncivilized hatred is what legitimizes and spreads it. JMO.

8. otto

otto Verified Expert

I see distinct parallels between the Belgians who massacred people at the Bataclan in Paris 2015 and the Australian who massacred people at the mosque in Christchurch. In each case the shooter has an idea and a belief that murder is the best way to communicate that idea. The responsibility for the massacres rests solely with the disturbed mind of the shooter and not the government, or any other person or organization.

Tarrant is neither a nazi nor a racist. He targeted people who hold spiritual ideas for no reason other than the ideas are different from what he believes. He's a crazy stupid person who lacks the ability to accept differences between beliefs or to communicate in socially normal ways.

9. cody22

cody22 On Time Out

He seems to be getting just what he wanted in his Manifesto....moo

10. sillybilly

sillybilly WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

The link to the manifesto has been removed, along with arguments for or against its publication. Please don't quote from it or provide other links to it.

It is certainly true that Websleuths usually complies with the expressed wishes of law enforcement. When @Tricia returns and has time, she will make the decision as to whether or not to comply with New Zealand's wishes to not publicize the document.

Thanks for your co-operation.

11. glamourkitty1922

12. ZoriahNZ

ZoriahNZ Well-Known Member

Hraefn, The 13th, kareylou and 13 others like this.
  13. Reasonable & Just

Reasonable & Just United We Stand

Thank you for this. They are the ones who matter. Look at those faces.

The 13th, human, Alisajo and 3 others like this.
  14. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

Though such a course has good intentions, it could well backfire if the class was mandatory and presented by individuals with a political 'spin'.

Such concerns were also raised regarding proposed classes following 9-11. As a result, plans for classes were shelved.

cobalt sky, Via Marple, dotr and 4 others like this.
  15. glamourkitty1922

The only class I think would help and not harm would be mandatory anger management classes in school each year to graduation.

16. ZoriahNZ

ZoriahNZ Well-Known Member

The man killed children. There's no "opposing opinion" or "differing view" on this earth which justifies that. JMO.

17. sillybilly

sillybilly WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random to address a couple of comments that have been removed.

My post upthread did not say you could not discuss the manifesto; it said not to link to it or quote from it. New Zealand does not wish to give voice to this madman's specifically expressed thoughts and it will be Tricia's decision what can or cannot be discussed here.

If you take issue with any of that, private message a Mod or Admin or Tricia, but do NOT derail this thread by complaining that you can't necessarily talk about what you want, how you want to.

Via Marple, mrjitty, dotr and 8 others like this.
  18. glamourkitty1922

It's just that if you don't allow them to speak, you will never be able to stop them because you won't know about them.

19. JudgeJudi

JudgeJudi Well-Known Member

Another very brave man.

Abdul Wahabzadah’s four children were inside the mosque.

Wahabzadah was inside Linwood Islamic Centre when the gunman opened fire. He grabbed a credit card reader and ran outside the building. He threw the credit card reader at the suspect while shouting at him in an attempt to distract the shooter away from the mosque.
    “I was screaming at the guy, ‘Come here, I’m here’. I just want him to put more focus on me than go inside the masjid (“mosque”). But unfortunately, he got himself to the masjid.”

The shooter then dropped his weapon and ran back to his car. Wahabzadah said he thought the shooter went to get more weapons from his car. He ran after the shooter and picked up a discarded weapon of the gunman, which he described as a “shotgun" and threw it at the gunman’s car, shattering his window.

“When he sees me I am chasing with a gun, he sat in his car”, Wahabzadah said. “And I just got the gun and throw it on his window like an arrow and blast his window. He thought probably I shot him or something and then he drive off."

Wahabzadah didn’t stop there. He said he continued chasing after him but the shooter did a U-turn and raced off. He then returned to the mosque to discover the scope of the violence.

New Zealand terror attack at mosques in Christchurch: Live updates - CNN

20. JudgeJudi

JudgeJudi Well-Known Member

The death toll in the New Zealand shootings has risen to 50 after investigators found another body at one of the mosques, police said on Sunday (March 17), as authorities worked to formally identify victims and release their bodies to families. The body of the 50th victim was found at the Al Noor mosque as other bodies were being removed. The bodies of the victims had not yet been released to families because investigations were ongoing.

The majority of victims were migrants or refugees from countries such as Pakistan, India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Turkey, Somalia and Afghanistan. Muslims account for just over 1 per cent of New Zealand's population.

New Zealand mosque shootings death toll rises to 50, families wait to bury victims

Hraefn, human, Via Marple and 3 others like this.
  21. kiwi50

kiwi50 Well-Known Member

Sadly I think this is exactly what will happen.
    As a NZ er, Im fearful the retribution will be swift and horrifying to both NZ and Australia