New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by north_west, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Randazzo

Randazzo Well-Known Member

Does anyone understand the NZ LE reason for not wanting the manifesto spread? There are obvious reasons like not wanting to spread his racist filth or encouraging copycat attacks. I don't know about their justice system but assume the manifesto will come out at trial anyway right? Just trying to understand their play.

2. mrjitty

mrjitty Well-Known Member

Spreading the manifesto or the video is likely illegal under NZ law

Just the same as if you spread ISIS propaganda

Hraefn, Judith Sleuth, human and 2 others like this.
  3. Reachingfornettles

Reachingfornettles Well-Known Member

Vigil attendees, students recall false-alarm ‘active shooter’ scare on UM campus
    The vigil held on the University of Michigan campus in Ann Arbor on Saturday afternoon, March 16, was to honor the victims of two mosque shootings in New Zealand and to stand up against Islamophobia.But when police ran through the UM Diag shortly before 5 p.m., yelling for the crowd to clear out, chaos ensued.
    Police from various agencies, including K-9 units, swarmed the area and combed through multiple campus buildings, following up on 911 reports of shots fired, but they were never able to find a shooter or anyone shot and later determined there was no threat.

There were reports of balloons popping possibly causing the scare, according to UM police.

Irwin choked up Saturday night as he reflected on how much fear of gun violence there is in today’s culture, so much that the sound of balloons popping may have led to such a panic.

Mods delete if already posted

Hraefn, human, angelainwi and 3 others like this.
  4. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Many good points in this article, otherwise staying away from it. imo. rbbm.
    The New Zealand shooter’s manifesto shows how white nationalist rhetoric spreads
    "It’s the kind of document instigators of mass violence often write to inspire copycat attackers (which is why I chose not to link to it)."
    "The main intention of terrorist manifestos is not to help everyday people understand how they became terrorists — it is to create new terrorists."

5. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Well-Known Member

I know NZ police asked social media users to stop sharing the shooting video but I didn't hear anything about not sharing the manifesto from NZ law enforcement.

glamourkitty1922, cody22 and dotr like this.
  6. Bohemian

Bohemian Well-Known Member

The ABC and I are with you, dotr:

Reporting a massacre: Why the ABC didn't share the shooter's 'manifesto'

7. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

I've been searching and I find nothing about the police or the NZ government talking about not reading or sharing the manifesto.

dotr, cody22 and BayouBelle_LA like this.
  8. glamourkitty1922

dotr and cody22 like this.
  9. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Hraefn, The 13th, human and 3 others like this.
  10. mrjitty

mrjitty Well-Known Member

The 13th, human, Via Marple and 2 others like this.
  11. glamourkitty1922

But in the body of the article, that quote is about the video, not the manifesto. There doesn't seem to be a quote from the police or PM about not reading or discussing the manifesto.

cody22 and dotr like this.
  12. cody22

cody22 Well-Known Member

Does that mean if you ban one person's Manifesto and also semi-auto firearms for everyone else that peace and love will break out ?.... I don't think so....moo

13. eucalyptuz

eucalyptuz Well-Known Member

Jacinda Ardern’s words seem pretty unequivocal:

"We should not be perpetuating, sharing, giving any oxygen to this act of violence and the message that sat behind it"
    "We should not share, spread, or actively engage in that message of hate".

Seems like the shooter’s 74 page manifesto is his message, therefore it should not be spread...to take any other interpretation of her words is splitting hairs.

If you want to read it, I’m sure you can find it.

The 13th, Judith Sleuth, dotr and 2 others like this.
  14. cody22

cody22 Well-Known Member

The Manifesto is already all over the Internet for anyone to read...How is punishing the law abiding firearms owners of New Zealand, by banning a certain type of firearms, going to be punishing this bad killer ?...... I smell a political agenda....moo

15. Reachingfornettles

Reachingfornettles Well-Known Member

Yes i agree. If not for the hero that had a gun (but no bullets) may have scared the shooter who then fled when the hero threw the gun like an arrow and shattered the windshield. JMO

natesma and cody22 like this.
  16. eucalyptuz

eucalyptuz Well-Known Member

17. JudgeJudi

JudgeJudi Well-Known Member

Facebook has said it continues to works "around the clock" to remove videos of the incident shared on its platform.

In a statement posted to Twitter on Sunday, the US-based tech company said that within 24 hours of Friday’s shooting it had removed 1.5 million videos of the attack from its platform globally.

New Zealand terror attack at mosques in Christchurch: Live updates - CNN

Hraefn, The 13th, dotr and 4 others like this.
  18. Via Marple

Via Marple Here to learn how devious minds work

^^^ this hero is who we should be talking about, not the murderer. What drove him to neglect his own safety, and pursue the guy with endless supply of guns. How to play cat and mouse with him. How much did luck play a part in his survival. Etc etc.

Police profilers and university academics etc can go ahead and analyse this murderer's mind, and inform the public IMO. It is not likely that ordinary folks can figure that out, except to know that there is no good reason to do what he did, no matter what he says.
    I was going to share the same link:)

ETA

19. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

Isn’t this jane coaston’s opinion that it’s to inspire copycats.

I still haven’t found whats suppose to be all over the interconnect. Glad I don’t live in nz, too much gov control.

20. Alisajo

Alisajo Well-Known Member

Great move, it worked for Australia ....

Hraefn, otto, angelainwi and 3 others like this.