ú

New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by north_west, Mar 14, 2019.

1. sunnynz

sunnynz Well-Known Member

NZ has one of the highest rankings for freedom of press in the world. We are a very open minded nation.

Not sure where you get the idea that there is a lot of government control.

Hraefn, The 13th, Via Marple and 10 others like this.
  2. sunnynz

sunnynz Well-Known Member

Also @Elley Mae that is a very offensive comment, we are a beautiful, peaceful, non violent country and that’s a kick to us when we are down.

Hraefn, The 13th, kareylou and 7 others like this.
  3. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

Freedom of the press.

I gave up on main stream media along time ago.

When ppl are elected by citizens they should not then make decisions on their own.

4. Pisces Cloud

Pisces Cloud Member

What is actually the point of automatic weapons in a non-war zone?

5. drsleuth

drsleuth Well-Known Member

<modsnip - quoted a removed post>

Her name is Jacinda Ardern & she is the PM & I think she her response to this absolute tragedy has been amazing :).

<modsnip - quoted a removed post>

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2019
    Hraefn, The 13th, Via Marple and 14 others like this.
  6. drsleuth

drsleuth Well-Known Member

I can't think of any!!

sunnynz, Kasmeer, otto and 6 others like this.
  7. Sarahlou

Sarahlou Well-Known Member

New Zealanders, ignore any negativity in this thread. You have a lovely country, one of the few countries I'd feel safe moving too.

The 13th, kareylou, sunnynz and 9 others like this.
  8. Elley Mae

I am.

I always tell people to think positive.

I just find it silly to ban something that lots of ppl own and enjoy.

glamourkitty1922 and cody22 like this.
  9. Elley Mae

I think it’s beautiful as well, Australia too.

cody22 likes this.
  10. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

There is a problem with the article, "White Nationalism" is not synonymous with "White Supremacy". Nor are "White Nationalists" psychopathic killers.

White Nationalists are not a "terrorist group or organization" any more than Black Lives Matter.

11. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

^^^^ this!

I've asked it before on other threads and never really had an answer. I understand people having rifles or whatever for hunting, but beyond that I have no idea what the appeal or function is.

human, sunnynz, otto and 2 others like this.
  12. squid

squid Well-Known Member

'Panic buying' of guns ahead of ban

There has been a rush on gun shops, with people "panic buying", in the wake of the Christchurch terror attack and in anticipation of the Government tightening gun laws.

13. JudgeJudi

JudgeJudi Well-Known Member

Sharing video of attack could lead to jail time: police

A 22-year-old man will appear at Christchurch District Court on Monday morning (local time), after being charged with offences under New Zealand's Films Videos and Publications Classification Act.

"This man was arrested by police in the initial stages of the shooting investigation in Christchurch on Friday afternoon, but he is not being charged in relation to the attack. Police at this stage do not believe he was directly involved," they said in a statement.

They also warned people against sharing video of the terror attack, which was live-streamed on social media by the gunman.

"We would like to remind people that it is an offence to distribute or possess an objectionable publication (under the Films Videos and Publications Classifications Act 1993), which carries a penalty of imprisonment. The live stream video of the shootings in Christchurch has been classified by the Chief Censor’s Office as objectionable," police said.

New Zealand terror attack at mosques in Christchurch: Live updates - CNN

Hraefn, The 13th, Via Marple and 5 others like this.
  14. JudgeJudi

Pope Francis has paid tribute to the victims of the Christchurch massacre, twice departing from his prepared statement on Sunday to call them “our Muslim brothers.”

“Dear brothers and sisters, in these days, with the pain of wars and conflicts that never cease to afflict all mankind, the pain is added from that of the victims of the horrific attack on two mosques in Christchurch in New Zealand,” the Pope said in his weekly Angelus prayers at St. Peter’s.

“I pray for the dead and the wounded and their families. I am close to our Muslim brothers, the religious and civil communities, and I renew the invitation to unite with prayer and gestures of peace to oppose hatred and violence. Let us pray for our Muslim brothers that have been killed.”

Both references to “our Muslim brothers” appeared to be off the cuff, not appearing in the prepared text of the speech released by the Vatican.

Hraefn, Via Marple, human and 6 others like this.
  15. JudgeJudi

Five Indian nationals who died in Friday's mosque attacks have been named by the Indian High Commission in New Zealand. The victims included four men and one woman.

“With a very heavy heart we share the news of loss of precious lives of our 5 nationals in ghastly terror attack in #Christchurch,” the High Commission tweeted.

The victims' names were: Maheboob Khokhar; Ramiz Vora; Asif Vora; Ansi Alibava and Ozair Kadir.

Hraefn, Via Marple, human and 2 others like this.
  16. JudgeJudi

UK man arrested after pledging support for New Zealand attacker

A 24-year-old man has been arrested over a social media post that supported the terror attack at two mosques in Christchurch.

The man, from the Oldham area in northern England, was arrested on suspicion of sending malicious communications, Greater Manchester Police said in a statement.

“This is a very difficult time for people. The events in New Zealand have reverberated around the world. Many people are in deep shock and are worried," a police spokesman said in a statement.

"It is at times like this that, as a community, we stand together. Where the law permits and people cross the line, we will take robust action, which may include arrest and prosecution," the spokesman added.

Hraefn, Via Marple, human and 3 others like this.
  17. squid

squid Well-Known Member

18. cody22

cody22 Well-Known Member

The NZ Prime Minister is just another politician with an agenda to push....moo

19. cody22

cody22 Well-Known Member

Possible defense of Freedom from nutcases or tyrannical controlling Governments ?.....moo

20. cody22

cody22 Well-Known Member

This is Freedom of the Press ?.......moo