New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by north_west, Mar 14, 2019.

1. angelainwi

angelainwi Certified Trauma Counselor

IMO, saying "getting married was too hard" is something that an incel might say. They find it hard to find a woman who will be with them

human, sunnynz and otto like this.
  2. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

The entire quote is about the video.. Ardern, speaking in Wellington following a briefing from police and national security staff, asked that the video not be shared.
    "We should not be perpetuating, sharing, giving any oxygen to this act of violence and the message that sat behind it", Ardern said.
    "We should not share, spread, or actively engage in that message of hate".
    Ardern said she had been given assurances that social media platforms were working to remove the footage.
    "I just ask people - don't share them."

The 13th, human, otto and 1 other person like this.
  3. glamourkitty1922

Restricting public behavior is more about controlling the population and expanding the power of the government.

cody22 and Gardenista like this.
  4. otto

otto Verified Expert

It was 7 minutes between the first and last shots at one of the mosques. He was arrested shortly after the shooting. How could that be considered a long time to respond and make an arrest?

5. squid

squid Well-Known Member

This timeline of the Christchurch mosque terror attacks shows how New Zealand's deadliest shooting unfolded, leaving 49 dead

SFFBM

At 1:40 p.m. local time on Friday, the gunman enters the Al Noor mosque and opens fire.
    In total, the attack lasts around 6 minutes. At 1:46 p.m. he gets back in his car, and drives towards his second target.

At 1:55 p.m., police confirm they are responding to a "critical incident". The gunman is gone by the time they arrive.

It is not clear how long the gunman spent travelling between the two. The drive between the two usually takes around 10 minutes.

Around 2:20 p.m.: The suspected gunman is dragged out of his car by police and arrested on a road around 6 minutes drive from the second mosque. The arrest was filmed.

6. otto

otto Verified Expert

If expanding the power of the elected government means that people in prayer are not so easily shot, then it is in the best interests of society to modify law.

Actually, is modifying law the same as "expanding the power of the government" or is it the role of the government to modify law and ensure public safety?

7. cobalt sky

cobalt sky Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between thinking it would be easy and actually watching it occur as it did in real time via livestream, like you're watching a video game. That is very powerful imagery.

"Are you thinking that one of his "inconvenient truths" is that he is like Nelson Mandela and will be awarded the Nobel Peace prize?"

:D No

cody22 and glamourkitty1922 like this.
  8. glamourkitty1922

Automatic weapons are illegal in nearly all countries except Brazil, Canada (antique weapons), Estonia, Iceland, Iraq, New Zealand, Poland, Switzerland, US (antique weapons), Uruguay, Yemen. In countries like Canada and US, they are for antique historical collecting and take quite the background check. They're collectors items in most countries. They're not very useful in target shooting and illegal for hunting in most countries in my opinion. Although I don't think they've been used much in crimes, at least in the US and Canada. Were they used in the Charlie Hebdo newpaper in France attack?

cody22 likes this.
  9. squid

squid Well-Known Member

I watched the bit on the news sites after the story broke and that is exactly what I thought....it is like watching a video game. Making the visual connection makes it very palpable.

CNN said it "has a video-game aesthetic."

10. otto

otto Verified Expert

Anyone who wants to know how easy it is to kill unarmed people can look at WW2 footage where people were routinely lined up in front of a wall and shot. The same thing happened under Napoleon and in many other wars, and this scene is depicted in movies over and over again.

Maybe the reason that the footage should not be shared is because the family of victims are further traumatized by the footage. What if a family of one of the victims was watching Sky News Australia and saw their father, brother, sister or child shot one or more times? That is a very good reason to stop sharing the footage.

11. otto

otto Verified Expert

The guns used in the massacre were semi-automatic weapons that could shoot 7 bullets. After the guns were modified, they could hold a larger magazine. Semi-automatic weapons that hold the larger magazine are restricted in New Zealand, but magazine purchase is not.

Estelle and human like this.
  12. glamourkitty1922

What happens when that law is "modified" to ban houses of worship? That, too, would ensure people in prayer are not shot since they are not en masse.

cody22 and cobalt sky like this.
  13. cobalt sky

RSBM. That's kind of comparing apples to oranges though. Not remotely the same situation.

But I agree that during wartime it is very easy to kill unarmed people, which is exactly the reason why I will fight to keep my guns.

14. otto

otto Verified Expert

That's been done before, but that is not the current debate in New Zealand.

If the debate was about preventing people from gathering in groups, then wouldn't schools be closed as well?

15. glamourkitty1922

And when the police arrived at the mosque, the killer is already at the second mosque shooting. The police try their best, but there is no changing the fact that they cannot make it to a crime scene until they are informed and travel to the scene. Six minutes was an eternity to the innocents in the mosque. What a monster.

16. glamourkitty1922

If the gov't is powerful enough to close churches, then they could close schools. I thought it was about gov't expanding laws to create more power over the population.

cody22 and cobalt sky like this.
  17. otto

otto Verified Expert

That is why we need to look at law that is appropriate for individual countries. In New Zealand, the current debate is about restriction on gun magazine sales. It has nothing to do with what people in the USA want to do with guns.

18. cobalt sky

BBM.

The debate? I assume you're referring to the newly announced ban? You say debate as though you're even being given the chance to debate it?

19. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I never wanted to get married. That doesn't make me an incel.

20. squid

squid Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw that. Ridiculous assumption.