New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by north_west, Mar 14, 2019.

1. otto

otto Verified Expert

Can we please explain what a "safety net" is in the context of discussing? It seems so vague.

cody22 likes this.
  2. otto

otto Verified Expert

What if "safety net" is social conscience?

Reasonable & Just and human like this.
  3. otto

otto Verified Expert

What if it's completely distorted for anyone to assume that Leaders are dictators?

human likes this.
  4. kiwijayne

kiwijayne Well-Known Member

No he came here because our country was peaceful and it would have massive impact for this to happen here. It was in his manifesto.

I came back from Christchurch on Tuesday and the city was awash with love and kindness. I laid flowers at the mosque and hugged some people. A few tears where shed and I realised like the quakes we’ll get through this.

5. RubyHill

RubyHill Well-Known Member

And you will,hugs from an Aussie cousin.

6. kiwijayne

kiwijayne Well-Known Member

Thanks Aussie cousin.

Christchurch will get through this and we will not this act cloud the love in our city.

7. sunnynz

sunnynz Well-Known Member

We have public referendums for certain major issues which affect everyone on a widespread level. So the public takes a vote outside of the general election. A couple of examples in recent memory were the referendum to ban smacking (you would say spanking) children, which passed, so it’s now illegal to hit anyone whether they are an adult or a child.

We recently also had a referendum to change the national flag (it’s very similar to australia’s which causes confusion, plus it’s largely based on the Union Jack which is less relevant to us these days as we’re very independent from the UK in regards to governance). That one didn’t pass.

For all other decisions the elected government has the mandate to move forward and get things done so long as they get enough votes from within their own party or other parties in parliament.

Changing the gun laws is well within their mandate and the sentiment of the general public is one of support. They also seem to currently have the support of even the opposition political party.

I think that’s pretty standard for elected governments to be able to make decisions on behalf of the people. That’s why they’re there. Otherwise how else would you ever get anything done if you needed the public to vote on every single decision?

I’ll reiterate once again that tightening up the gun laws just isn’t a controversial thing here. We see gun ownership as a privilege to be held under special or necessary circumstances (keeping control of pests on farms, hunting as a sport, etc), not a right. We don’t keep guns for self defence or in fear of having to rise up against the government or anything. We’re living in a totally different environment where there’s just not that fear-based context around things. I appreciate that’s hard to wrap your head around for some, but that’s the simple reality of how we live down here.

So thankful to have a prime minister who has acted promptly and decisively on this issue. There was a lovely Instagram post from her hubby today mentioning that it’s their baby girls nine month birthday today and that Ms Ardern has given her the best gift of a safer future by changing the gun laws. (Yes our leader was also recently pregnant in office, breastfed in office and is now raising a young baby in office, and still has time to lead the nation with grace, compassion and guts!).

8. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Thank you, Gitana.
    <modsnip - personal criticism of certain posters>
    I'm grateful for you and other American members who have expressed their shame at what is being said.

(EDIT let's be clear I named no names)

<Admin Note: Discussing other members, whether named or not, is not allowed.>

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2019
  9. coffeeandacig

coffeeandacig Bloggin' n stuffs

<modsnip>

My only qualm about the after effect of this attack in NZ, is any knee jerk reactions to this event. The entire public and those politicians who the public put their trust in, must be allowed time to grieve and process through all the emotions (anger, et al). Public policies and any new laws should be, IMHO, met with clear rational heads. It's been less than a week since this event occurred, and to me (MOO), that is too soon to make any major decisions when shock, grief, anger are still being felt by the public.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2019
  10. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

Colorado is sealing records, not court cases. The press and the public are allowed in courts in the US, there are no secret trials. Personally I believe the US SC would have overturned the state ruling because sealing court records is very hinky. It makes the public wonder "what are they hiding?" and that is not good for a free country.

coffeeandacig and cody22 like this.
  11. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

Any updates on the case itself?

Charlot123 and sunnynz like this.
  12. CoverMeCagney

28 people who were wounded remain in hospital, with 6 still in a critical condition in intensive care. This includes 4 year old Alen Alsati who is still fighting for her life.

"The bullet has really hit an area in the vein which is really very difficult to repair," said [surgeon] Khanafer, describing the child's injuries. "The bullet has damaged the pelvis and lower arteries have been cut."

Surgeon gets emotional about 4-year-old New Zealand shooting victim

Let's take a moment to remember the real victims of this.

13. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

I provided several links and quotes. Only a couple were about mental health in children.

sunnynz and human like this.
  14. gitana1

Im so sorry for your country. Your post brought tears to my eyes.

15. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

That is very difficult to read. Its impossible for me to understand targeting innocent people, but especially children. Beyond comprehension.

16. CoverMeCagney

17. human

human Well-Known Member

18. gitana1

Wow!!! That's beautiful.

Andieinsyd and human like this.
  19. gitana1

It's a sickness few of us can ever comprehend. Thankfully.

I don't get it. Never will.

UndiscoveredTruth and human like this.
  20. human

human Well-Known Member

We are a proud nation of more than 200 ethnicities, 160 languages, and amongst said diversity, we share common values and the one we place the currency on right now and tonight is our compassion and the support for the community of those directly affected by this tragedy and secondly, the strongest possibly condemnation of the ideology of the people who did this,” she said. Of those attackers, at least one of whom was an Australian living in New Zealand, she said: “You may have chosen us. But we utterly reject and condemn you.”

”I love what she says

NZ leader Jacinda Ardern on mosque attacks: ‘We share common values, and the one we place currency on right now is compassion’