New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by north_west, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

Takes my breath away. The silence is far more moving than verbal sparring.

New Zealand, I hate getting to know you in this way, but I am glad to get to know you.

2. kiwijayne

kiwijayne Well-Known Member

3. sunnynz

sunnynz Well-Known Member

NZ just held a nationwide two minute silence. Many women chose to wear headscarves to work and school in solidarity today (after first gaining the approval and blessing of the female Muslim community).

There are vigils nationwide tonight. Amnesty International has put up billboards with messages of love and support for the Muslim community.

We are doing our best to honour and remember the victims today in many ways. All of them peaceful and with a sense of unity. Glad to live in a country which doesn't let politics and ideologies get in the way of more important things.

4. eucalyptuz

eucalyptuz Well-Known Member

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Meanwhile in NZ... love for all people.
    Thousands descend on site of New Zealand mosque attacks to observe emotional Muslim prayer

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2019
  5. sillybilly

sillybilly WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Way too many posts had to be removed in a thread cleanup.

C'mon folks ... leave the sniping, pettiness and other off topic posts out of this discussion. Websleuths is better than that. Stay on topic.

6. JudgeJudi

JudgeJudi Well-Known Member

Call to prayer.jpg

New Zealand came together in a national day of reflection to mark a week since the mass shootings.

The Muslim Call to Prayer was broadcast on national television at 1:30 p.m. local time, followed by two minutes of silence to remember those who lost their lives in the terrorist attack.

At almost the same time as when the attack was first reported to police, Christchurch ground to a halt for two minutes. Hundreds stood, their heads bowed at the memorial wall at the Botanic Gardens where flowers have been laid all week.

In Hagley Park, a short walk from the Al Noor mosque where most people were killed in the first attack, thousands of people attended a memorial service before Friday prayers. The imam said,

"This terrorist sought to divide our nation apart with an evil ideology, that has torn the world apart, but instead we have shown that New Zealand is unbreakable, and that the world can see in us an example of love and unity. We are broken-hearted, but we are not broken. We are alive. We are together. We are determined to not let anyone divide us."

New Zealand mourns mosque attack victims in national day of reflection - CNN

To our Kiwi cousins, your pain is our pain.

7. Charlot123

Charlot123 Well-Known Member

I just saw this thread. I have traveled in NZ, on the Northern Island. The country is unbelievably beautiful and nice, but not densely populated. Massacre of 50 people is a lot there.
    I saw the photos of the fallen. That a person could target a 3-year old, or a young female student, is incomprehensible.
    From what I have read, Brandon Tarrant was motivated less by religious and more by ethnic and racial hatred, his hero was Breivik. And this is beyond scary. That anyone in 21 century could call himself an ethno-nazi, that anyone could view himself as the rightful owner of the country where his ancestors were also not the indigenous group is ugly and horrible.
    Both Australia and New Zealand belong to former British Commonwealth, but Brandon’s ancestors were immigrants to Australia as well. He is also from the newcomers group. The indigenous people of New Zealand are the Maoris, and there are two official languages in New Zealand. (The Maoris, predictably, are upset and angry).

The Maoris honor the slain Muslims with the haka dance

Maori Pay Tribute to NZ Terror Attack Victims with Haka

RIP

8. kiwijayne

9. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

10. kiwijayne

11. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

Here is the Christchurch call to prayer. The reason he has his hands over his ears is so he doesn't get distracted by the intercom feedback. I asked the first time I saw a call to prayer many years ago.

Charlot123 and Jax49 like this.
  12. RubyHill

RubyHill Well-Known Member

The like button seems wrong for this post that is why Im posting to send prayers and love to your beautiful Country no matter what stance members have on this thread NZ has shown nothing but respect and dignity to all in this horrendous attack,your Country has my up most respect.,God bless NZ.

13. kiwijayne

Thanks.

Tonight someone two doors from me let off firecrackers in would be an understatement to say I jumped.

UndiscoveredTruth, human and RubyHill like this.
  14. RubyHill

RubyHill Well-Known Member

Hugs,I have a Kiwi partner,my daughter married a Kiwi,my 2 grandchildren are half Aussie half Kiwi...stay strong xoxo.

15. JudgeJudi

upload_2019-3-22_23-53-56.png

Lance Bradford, 32, was driving to a job and talking to his pregnant wife on speakerphone when he noticed a woman on the ground in Deans Ave. He assumed she'd fallen, but then he saw there were as many as 10 people on the ground. He could hear gunshots going off and was thinking 'I need to be a little bit careful,' because my wife is pregnant." They had just bought a house and are expecting their first child.

He backed his dark red Holden ute into the scene of NZ’s worst ever mass shooting, loaded up a badly injured father and daughter and a limping man steeped in blood and drove them to hospital.

The limping man was 51-year-old Feroze Ditta who had been shot twice in the calf at the Masjid Al Noor, after being trapped under 20 bodies in the crush to escape out of the mosque's emergency exit. He had dragged himself to the gate. "I still remember the red ute backing up, you throwing your tools out of the back seat," Ditta said. "I don't know where you threw them. And making room for us, all bloody."

Ditta hailed Bradford as "an absolute hero". Bradford says he's no hero but the gunshot victim he drove to hospital disagrees.

He'd already visited him in hospital, in the beginning of what the pair say will be a lifelong friendship.

Sunnies pushed back against his brow, pregnant wife in tow, he's just an average Kiwi bloke.

Out of the Christchurch shooting, friendship between shot man and driver who took him to hospital

What a heartwarming story.

16. JudgeJudi

Holding a Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle, Constable Michelle Evans donned a black scarf on her head and a rose on her chest.

The young police officer stood guard outside the Christchurch Memorial Park Cemetery today, a week after last Friday's mosque shootings.

PO.jpg

The powerful image was shared widely with many saying it was indicative of the feeling many Kiwis had toward the Muslim community.

Solidarity.

It came as New Zealanders around the country donned headscarves and bright scarves yesterday, and as they observed two minutes' silence in honour of the 50 people who were shot dead at the Al Noor and Linwood mosques.

Comments included: "This is incredibly moving. Respect."

Christchurch mosque shootings: Constable Michelle Evans stands in solidarity with Muslim community

17. Inthedetails

I like the hero stories. Well, not "like" because I hate that they were in that position in the first place to be a hero, but you know what I mean. It's inspiring and uplifting to read about them - we all stand taller when anyone stands tall (not trying to sound profound, it's just the truth).

Bring each other up, not down. That's so basic but so important! We (including me) need that message repeated, repeated, repeated.

jmo

18. Inthedetails

What if it were no longer possible to post "anonymously" on the web? I know LE can likely track down these people who made threats, but if no one were anonymous on the web in the first place, would threats like this be posted at all? I suppose some, but far, far less? Wishful thinking?

I didn't know who Ardern was before this tragedy, but she has earned my utmost respect. Crazy to threaten a compassion person, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time. :(

jmo

19. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

LE can and should track down every single one of these threats to find out who those people are and investigate them.

20. kiwijayne

She is a good leader and was before this. Her father was a policeman(from 1974) and a diplomat so she comes from good stock so to speak.

I’m immensely proud of how she has held herself this week and represented NZ.