New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
A wannbe. :(

"An arsonist torched the exterior of a California mosque early Sunday, leaving behind a note that referenced a white supremacist’s fatal mass-shooting of 50 people inside two Islamic houses of worship in New Zealand, according to a report....
...Someone was inside the mosque at the time and was able to extinguish the flames before significant damage was done or anyone was injured, the outlet reported."

https://nypost.com/2019/03/24/calif...eaves-note-referencing-new-zealand-shootings/

New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has ordered a top-level inquiry into the Christchurch mosque attacks that left 50 people dead.

She said a royal commission would examine whether police and intelligence services could have done more to prevent the 15 March shootings.

A royal commission is the highest level of independent inquiry available under New Zealand law.

Ms Ardern said it would produce a "comprehensive" report.

"It is important that no stone is left unturned to get to how this act of terrorism occurred and how we could have stopped it," she told reporters in Wellington on Monday.

NZ PM orders Christchurch attack inquiry

"A French-Muslim advocacy group is suing Facebook and YouTube for broadcasting live the New Zealand mass murder that left 50 mosque-goers dead.

The French Council of the Muslim Faith is going after the internet giants for 'broadcasting a message with violent content abetting terrorism, or of a nature likely to seriously violate human dignity and liable to be seen by a minor,' according to a copy of the complaint filed in Paris and reviewed by Agence France-Presse."

https://nypost.com/2019/03/25/musli...youtube-over-new-zealand-shooting-livestream/

A simple but powerful image by The Canberra Times cartoonist Pat Campbell in response to the Christchurch massacre has been shared around the world, cutting through the millions of words written about the tragedy.

Fern.jpg

Campbell has received messages from Malaysia to Canada to Egypt, as people reacted to the humanity of the cartoon, which uses the iconic New Zealand silver fern to represent 50 Muslims in various stages of prayer, representing the 50 victims of the Christchurch shootings.

"I know the silver fern is an important symbol for New Zealand. Then my mind turned to the image itself, and how the leaves of the fern resembled figures. It was a short jump to envisage victims represented, and it grew to Muslims in stages of prayer. I initially drew 49 figures to represent the victims. When the number rose to 50, I added another figure. I felt it needed to represent all those killed. I’m hoping that was the only addition I have to make."

Much of the reaction has focused on the simplicity of the image. That it can encapsulate the horror and the humanity of the shootings without words. That it can also suggest hope, resilience, and that a gentle, loving spirit will endure against even the worst mankind can serve up.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/na...response-to-christchurch-20190322-p516he.html

Austria probes far-right activist over NZ links

Austrian far-right activist probed over links to Christchurch attacks
27 March 2019

"In a video posted online on Monday, Mr Sellner said he had received an email containing a "disproportionally large" donation from a person named "Tarrant". He said he had sent a "thank you" reply as he did with other donations.

"I have nothing to do with this terror attack," Mr Sellner said, adding that his organisation was a peaceful anti-immigration group."

Christchurch terror attack: Youngest survivor, a 2yo boy, released from hospital

Christchurch terror attack: Youngest survivor, a 2yo boy, released from hospital

27/03/2019

"The youngest survivor of the Christchurch mosque attack has been released from hospital.

Averroes Syah, 2, was shot in his leg and backside inside the Linwood Mosque on March 15. He was partially shielded by his father Zulfirman Syah, who was shot several times. …

A Givealittle page set up for the young family has raised more than $30,000. It says little Averroes is "traumatised" after the horrific attack, and that his parents have no family or friends in Christchurch having recently moved from Indonesia.

Lorde to perform at Christchurch benefit concerts

Lorde to perform at Christchurch benefit concerts
Mar 27 2019

"Lorde is part of a massive lineup of artists set to perform at two benefit concerts raising money for those affected by the Christchurch terror attack. Other performers include Dave Dobbyn, Marlon Williams, Anika Mo and many more.

Two concerts are to be held in Auckland and Christchurch in April to raise money for those affected by the Christchurch terror attack. All proceeds from the You Are Us/Aroha Nui events will go to the Christchurch Foundation’s Our People, Our City fund."

[concert Sat 13th April, You Are Us, Aroha Nui]

"A French-Muslim advocacy group is suing Facebook and YouTube for broadcasting live the New Zealand mass murder that left 50 mosque-goers dead.

The French Council of the Muslim Faith is going after the internet giants for 'broadcasting a message with violent content abetting terrorism, or of a nature likely to seriously violate human dignity and liable to be seen by a minor,' according to a copy of the complaint filed in Paris and reviewed by Agence France-Presse."

It looks like America's "Call 1-800 Sue Them" philosophy is taking root in Europe.

Of course both companies have deep pockets. They also stopped the broadcasts as soon as possible. Likewise, both have taken reasonable steps to prevent terrorists from using their services to live stream attacks or upload terror content. Nothing, however, is foolproof.

Family rescued from Christchurch attack reunited with hero who saved their lives

Family rescued from Christchurch attack reunited with hero who saved their lives

27/03/2019

"As gunshots rang out across the mosque, Jennifer Paterson sprang into action.

A young mother and baby who were rescued outside the Al Noor mosque during the Christchurch terror attacks have been reunited with the passing motorist who saved their lives.

It was an emotional moment for the pair, who were thrown together by pure chance as gunshots rang out across the mosque. …

Something just clicked, and I knew I just had to go and get her," she told Newshub.

Ignoring the gunfire, she ushered El Hajji and her baby into her car with another two women and a boy driving them to safety.

"I wanted to protect her, I wanted to protect all of them if I could have, but you just can't."

El Hajji's husband Said Abdukadir made it out okay, but her father- in-law Elmi Abdukadir tragically was one of the 50 casualties."

4-year-old Christchurch terrorist attack victim in serious but stable condition

4-year-old Christchurch terrorist attack victim in serious but stable condition

Mar 27 2019

"The condition of a 4-year-old girl who was gravely injured during the Christchurch terrorist attack appears to be improving, almost a fortnight on.

Alen Daraghmih was shot twice when a gunman opened fire at two mosques on March 15, killing 50.

She has been in a critical condition in Auckland's Starship Children's Hospital since the shooting.

On Wednesday morning an Auckland District Health Board spokeswoman said Alen was now in a "serious but stable condition".

Mental health need expected to last years following Christchurch terror attack - GP

Mental health need expected to last years following Christchurch terror attack - GP

Mar 27 2019

"People need support, and the mental health recovery will take time.

Thousands of people have been seeking help in the aftermath of the Christchurch terror attack, and health experts expect demand for mental health services will continue for years to come.

Numerous agencies are involved in the response; the immediate need is being met, and planning is under way on how best to respond to longer-term conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder.

As of Tuesday evening, the Canterbury Charity Hospital had provided free counselling for 76 people. Hospital co-founder Dr Phil Bagshaw said another 64 people were booked in, and numbers were expected to rise. …

"The majority of things that people are presenting with now are things that can be dealt with at a primary care level – that's people struggling to sleep, reliving the experience, which is normal – and the more complex things will present much later."

Advice to general practices from the Canterbury Primary Response Group said GPs should consider contacting Muslim patients to ask about their wellbeing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd