Found Deceased NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am confused about something.
It appears the accused is not charged with manslaughter at all here from what I can find online. So the only possible outcomes here are guilty or not guilty of murder, correct?

I think @mrjitty wrote something that if found not guilty on the murder charge he’s still down for manslaughter. Are there any links to news stories that explain this?

When I search Graces name and the word manslaughter online basically all I get is the accused talking about manslaughter and rough sex on his December 2 Tinder date.

IIRC in NZ it is not necessary to charge manslaughter in the alternative.

Crown solicitor Brian Dickey continues by going through what the accused did in the days following Grace's death.

A full CCTV timeline was shown to the jury during the Crown's evidence last week.

Dickey describes a man who is not panicking, rather, one who is "cool as a cucumber", joking, calm and collected, going about his business, buying cleaning products, hiring a car, going on another Tinder date.

"I've got this body in my room and I've got to get rid of it - that will do," Dickey says.

He describes the defendant's police interview as a "melodrama".

"Remember how it was all about him? He was so upset, he wanted to 'end it all'",' Dickey tells the jury.

At 9.32pm on December 2, the accused is captured on CCTV putting a suitcase containing Grace's body into the boot of a hire car.

"To treat a body with that level of dignity, that speaks a lot about what we think of a person," he says.

9c397700-484e-4c14-af5a-664e648ca2b9_800.jpg

The accused was captured on CCTV buying a suitcase from the Warehouse a few hours after Grace died.

Grace Millane murder trial: Crown and defence sum up the case

10:47am - The internet history of the accused's phone shows searches for the Waitakere Ranges, the hottest type of fire and *advertiser censored* - in that order. The intimate photos were then taken of Millane's dead body, Dickey says.

The prosecutor mentions that in his police interview, the accused said he and Millane took photos of each other. He suggests that if these photos were the ones taken after the searches for the Waitakere Ranges - where Millane's body would later be found - he may have planned to murder her.

Grace Millane murder trial: Live updates as Crown, defence present closing statements
Whoa!

11:11am - Dickey says that after he is initially contacted by police on December 5, the accused dumped items in an Albert Park rubbish bin. The prosecutor then mentions a trip the accused took to Mission Bay early on December 6, CCTV footage of which was not recovered.

He suggests that it is possible during this trip, the accused disposed of Millane's cellphone, which was never found by police.

Throughout Dickey's detailing of the man's actions after the alleged murder, the prosecutor asks: "Where is the evidence of panic?".

Grace Millane murder trial: Live updates as Crown, defence present closing statements

11:19am - Turning now to the accused's December 6 police interview, the prosecutor says the accused had countless opportunities to tell the police Millane's death was an accident, but he didn't.

"He doesn't. He lies. He lies and lies and lies."

Dickey discusses what he calls the "elaborate" lies the accused "invented" about the night of December 1. This includes parting with Millane at 8pm, speaking to Chinese tourists, going to a bar for a Corona, singing with people and then blacking out.

"This interview can't be brushed aside," the prosecutor says. Dickey says even if the accused provides some truthful details in a later interview, he still lied to police.

"He is trying to get away with it. What he has done is kill the British tourist and that is murder in his own mind, as he knows what he did."

wow, tell the defense not to even bother with their closing speech.... hes nailed this already. SO glad hes put emphasis on the actions he did after the murder too. So many people were adamant this proved nothing more than 'him being a bit of a d*ck'... i think his actions speak volumes and clearly so do the crown!

Possibly he's admitted manslaughter so the jury don't have to decide that?

I suspect the judge will cover this.

He had admitted to killing grace by unlawful act so manslaughter is made out on the defence pleadings

Care will have gone into the indictment

Do we know manslaughter definitely is not in the indictment as an alternate?

Crown solicitor Brian Dickey continues by going through what the accused did in the days following Grace's death.

A full CCTV timeline was shown to the jury during the Crown's evidence last week.

Dickey describes a man who is not panicking, rather, one who is "cool as a cucumber", joking, calm and collected, going about his business, buying cleaning products, hiring a car, going on another Tinder date.

"I've got this body in my room and I've got to get rid of it - that will do," Dickey says.

He describes the defendant's police interview as a "melodrama".

"Remember how it was all about him? He was so upset, he wanted to 'end it all'",' Dickey tells the jury.

At 9.32pm on December 2, the accused is captured on CCTV putting a suitcase containing Grace's body into the boot of a hire car.

"To treat a body with that level of dignity, that speaks a lot about what we think of a person," he says.

9c397700-484e-4c14-af5a-664e648ca2b9_800.jpg

The accused was captured on CCTV buying a suitcase from the Warehouse a few hours after Grace died.

Mr Dickey is right on the money, the accused is 'melodramatic', a witness described him the same, 'the tears and he's got cancer' and also, a sociopath. Everyone told the truth except the accused. He was/is a very troubled man, way before he even met Grace. jmo

I suspect the judge will cover this.

He had admitted to killing grace by unlawful act so manslaughter is made out on the defence pleadings

Care will have gone into the indictment

Do we know manslaughter definitely is not in the indictment as an alternate?
No, I haven't seen that the indictment has been reported on. It could be on there.

On December 3, the accused dug a hole, put the suitcase containing Grace's body in it and covered it up, Crown solicitor Brian Dickey continues.

"If you had just murdered someone, packed her in a suitcase, buried her, would you check in with a date?" Dickey asks the jury.

Dickey then reminds the jury the accused didn't tell the truth about what happened on the night Grace died in his first police interview.

"If he was a person who had accidentally killed her, this first interview was the opportunity to say so.

"But he doesn't. He lies, and lies, and lies," Dickey says.

Dickey also comments on the accused's demeanor during his two interviews, which he calls "interesting", because it doesn't change, even when he is lying.

"Remember [in the first interview] he said he started chatting to a group of Chinese tourists? Complete fiction," he says.

"Then he went to a pub on Queen Street ... He ended up buying a drink for a whole group of people, he started singing, and then had to be helped into bed after drinking 10 beers.

"These are elaborate, elaborate lies." Dickey says.

"All of these lies cannot be brushed aside by the defence by saying 'he told the truth on the 8th [of December]' - no he didn't," Dickey says.

"He's trying to get away with it."

"Remember when he is questioned about the second suitcase he bought, several days after he bought the first one?" Dickey asks the jury.

"He [the defendant] says 'I'm being honest with you ... that suitcase is still in my room'."

These lies are only consistent with a man covering his tracks, Dickey says, which he says is entirely consistent with the Crown's submission that he held Grace's neck for 5 to 10 mins around the neck and killed her.

24a8017d-e7cc-44d5-8ed8-acab07811636_800.jpg

Crown solicitor Brian Dickey reminds the jury the accused lied about what happened on the night Grace died in his first police interview.

No, I haven't seen that the indictment has been reported on. It could be on there.

It could well be in there.

I vaguely recall something about not needing to charge it. The judge can direct if the jury finds not guilty on murder.

As far as I can see strangling someone to death is an unlawful act all day long so the defence have pleaded to manslaughter

11.20am

Auckland Crown Solicitor Brian Dickey said the accused "started to get a bit worried" about the time he had to hide Millane's body.

He searched "time in London" on December 2.

"This is her birthday, when is it her birthday over there?" Dickey speculated the accused was thinking.

When the accused buys a red shovel from a hardware store he also "buys a bunch of bolts".

"What for? Of no consequence," Dickey said.

The accused was, Dickey told the jury, diverting the interest of the salesman.

"He's covering his tracks, he's very much in control.

"He dug a hole, put her in it, covered it up ... He went and bought a second suitcase."

The accused then went about dumping the evidence, which included an early morning trip to Mission Bay.

Dickey said this could have been to dump Millane's cellphone, which police had never recovered.

On December 8 the accused "told the police he'd done these things".

"Said he'd come clean," Dickey said. "No he didn't."

5MPHRJCNERCJLH6PNOWZMNCK3E.jpg

Dickey told the jury the accused didn't tell police about the *advertiser censored* searches, the photos, or about his subsequent Tinder date.

"He didn't even tell police that he had caused Grace Millane's death," the prosecutor said.

"He talks around it, he talks a bit of what happened. But he never connects what he did to her death.

"If he told the truth he would be admitting to murder."

Dickey said the accused "lies, he lies, and lies, and lies".

"He's pretty good at it," he adds.

Almost all of the accused's first interview with police on December 6 was "complete fiction", Dickey said.

"Elaborate, elaborate lies," he said. "He invented a whole group of Chinese tourists."

He also claimed he had a boozy night at a Queen St pub which didn't sell Corona or Heineken, Dickey said.

"This is elaborate stuff."

XSBHMWXPFFGVZD7426DMHI6HGA.jpg

During a police interview when Detective Ewen Settle says Millane may have died from foul play the accused "obviously thinks 'hmmm, better put on a good show about this'," Dickey said.

"He's trying to get away with it altogether.

"He killed the British tourist and that's murder in his own mind."

Dickey said the accused created a "labyrinth of storytelling and lies".

"The interview of the 8th, the one you're told the believe.

"Can you? Do you? This thing is full of lies as well."

Grace Millane murder trial: Jury to hear Crown, defence closing arguments

In his second police interview, the accused told Detective Sargeant Ewen Settle he woke on the morning after his date with Grace to find her dead on the floor of his apartment.

Crown solicitor Brian Dickey is sarcastic in his tone as he restates the conversation between the accused and Settle, in which the defendant claims he panicked and didn't know what to do.

Dickey continues: "He [the accused] has never said to police that he killed Grace Millane.

"He never admitted it. The Crown says he can't do that because if he told the truth he would be admitting to murder."

In his second police interview, the accused told Detective Sargeant Ewen Settle he woke on the morning after his date with Grace to find her dead on the floor of his apartment.

Crown solicitor Brian Dickey is sarcastic in his tone as he restates the conversation between the accused and Settle, in which the defendant claims he panicked and didn't know what to do.

Dickey continues: "He [the accused] has never said to police that he killed Grace Millane.

"He never admitted it. The Crown says he can't do that because if he told the truth he would be admitting to murder."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member