GUILTY NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest* #3

Discussion in 'Trials' started by cybervampira, Dec 4, 2018.

1. PrimeSuspect

PrimeSuspect Under the Milky Way

Thanks! wow, the jury got this right, they saw right through him too. The lies, the fake tears, but really no emotion for anyone but himself.

Kasmeer, Elainera, MsBetsy and 6 others like this.

2. kiwijayne

kiwijayne Well-Known Member

He was crying because he got caught out. Like the horrible Gerard Baden-Clay.

insanity, DanceCard, Hjp and 7 others like this.
  3. kiwilaura

kiwilaura Well-Known Member

He must be a very bad dude I feel. So unusual to have family be so scathing.

tmar, Kasmeer, Elainera and 9 others like this.
  4. smucklecrumble

smucklecrumble Well-Known Member

I think he was crying because he knew that was what a ‘normal’ person might do in that situation. Ie. It’s a learned response that he can turn on and off. Thus far he seems to not know how to act in social interactions.....and when his mask slips ppl get to see the real him JMO

tmar, Kasmeer, Elainera and 7 others like this.
  5. Kikixxxx

Kikixxxx Well-Known Member

I want to know more about why the name suppression isn’t being lifted? Even the British media aren’t naming him still and they didn’t care about the suppression law last year. So confused...

insanity, tmar, Catsarse and 5 others like this.
  6. PrimeSuspect

Yes, I agree, probably pretty scary under certain circumstances, wouldn't want to corner him, imo.

7. Legal

Legal New Member

Hi everyone. I have been following cases on here for years with interest but rarely comment. However, there is something I noticed that I don't think anyone has mentioned. I studied criminal law in the UK and I don't know how similar NZ criminal law is but what I noticed is to do with previous convictions. In the UK, there is a lot of law around 'bad character' evidence as it is called. It is determined before a trial whether or not previous convictions can be admitted as evidence but once the trial commences, there are 7 ways they can be introduced. One of the ways is if the defendant or any of his/her representatives speaks negatively about the victim or any witnesses. In plain English, if they slag off anyone else, they become free game.
    I noticed when the Defence began presenting their case, he started going to great lengths to make it clear Grace had done nothing wrong.
    "I want to be 100 per cent clear there is no blame attributed to Grace, and there should be no shame."
    Why not blame Grace? The defendant was fighting for his life and nobody else was in the room. He could have totally blamed her. This makes me strongly believe he has previous convictions. Incidentally, I noticed the same thing in the Vincent Tabak (Joanna Yeates) case when the Defence was very careful about not blaming Joanna for inviting VT in for a drink and it transpired that VT had pictures of women being strangled on his laptop.
    Anyway, just my thoughts!

insanity, tmar, Catsarse and 15 others like this.
  8. sunnynz

sunnynz Well-Known Member

Good spot! Not sure if the law is the same here but there’s every chance.

When the detective spoke at the end of the family’s statement he says something to the effect ‘due to the ongoing court process I can’t comment on anything’. Normally they’d at least make some comment after verdict and prior to sentencing wouldn’t they? Makes me think there’s definitely a separate trial underway for this guy. Can anyone find any other court cases currently underway for ‘Crown v K’???

insanity, tmar, Elainera and 5 others like this.
  9. sunnynz

Re the millane family statement, just watched the video and Grace’s poor mother looks utterly destroyed. As great as this verdict is, that woman has still lost her baby.

insanity, tmar, Kasmeer and 18 others like this.
  10. Mariposa

Mariposa Well-Known Member

I think @sunnynz was likely dead on the money that he must be facing other criminal case(s) with other victim(s). So the suppression is to protect the integrity of those pending cases maybe.

On the bright side of suppression, at least the Millanes can go home to the UK now and not see the killers smirking face on newspapers and TV! That's a plus

tmar, Kasmeer, Elainera and 6 others like this.
  11. Mariposa

Mariposa Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, that was a Casefile podcast, the guy with his face all scratched to hell. Never been to Australia but I know many of its darkest crimes via that podcast

tmar, jamjim, Hag and 2 others like this.
  12. sunnynz

13. kiwijayne

kiwijayne Well-Known Member

I lived across the road from the Baden-Clays.

insanity, tmar, Hag and 3 others like this.
  14. Kikixxxx

Kikixxxx Well-Known Member

Journalist on twitter says “there are very good reasons for the name suppression, all will be revealed eventually” ... I wonder if it’s more that other women have come forward to report him and file charges, u know like that first girl said she seen his name being reported in the U.K. media and she decided to go to the police about her experience?

insanity, tmar, Catsarse and 14 others like this.
  15. courtkim

courtkim Well-Known Member

He's likely to appeal.. that will probably extend the name suppression :(

Elainera, Kikixxxx, Mariposa and 2 others like this.
  16. PrimeSuspect

Thanks sunnynz. Poor Grace, he was on a power trip and his aggression was escalating, imo. Even though he didn't set out to murder her, I think he was destined to, he's a horrible human being. :(

17. PrimeSuspect

Detective Inspective Scott Beard, who was in charge of the Grace Millane murder investigation, said because the court process was ongoing he was unable to comment this evening.

Grace's killer faces life imprisonment for her murder, with at least 10 years non parole.

At sentencing the judge can extend this period so the killer could spend much longer in jail.

Grace Millane trial: Jury convicts man of murdering British backpacker

tmar, Kasmeer, Elainera and 8 others like this.
  18. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

Just heard the verdict - thank goodness. Such an upsetting case and thoughts with Grace’s Mum and Dad.

tmar, Elainera, Tortoise and 3 others like this.
  19. sunnynz

Did they say that in the news?

tmar and kiwijayne like this.
  20. courtkim

courtkim Well-Known Member

No just speculating based on his narcissistic personality. Probably thinks he did nothing wrong still.

Elainera, CrazyLilBlondie and sunnynz like this.