NH NH - Allenstown, Adult Female & 3 Children, found Nov'85 & May'00 #3

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by assaf1981, Jul 12, 2008.

1. RookieInvestigator

RookieInvestigator Well-Known Member

It's very likely Thomas killed Lois. I believe there was domestic violence in the household.

Rasmussen being involved is probably a long shot. The Mushroom Hunters, time-frame, 55 gal barrel, single mother with at least 1 child and a man from Texas caught my interest. Plus I do not think Rasmussens whereabouts in 1983 are known. This barrel was found the same year or the year after the 2 smaller children were located in Bear Brook.

PatLaurel, Laughing and carbuff like this.

2. onceuponadecember

onceuponadecember Well-Known Member

I don't think Rasmussen killed the Honeychurch-Vaughn-McWaters family in 1978. It would've been from 1979-1981 IMO.

3. Sherwood Park

Sherwood Park Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a long shot that Rasmussen would be involved, but stranger things have happened!

What bothers me about the Thomas Tomich case is that at one point investigators were certain he was a serial killer and then years later it was concluded that it was unlikely. Then they were certain he murdered his wife. Zero evidence that he did, only a history of habitual domestic violence.
    It's likely he did murder her, but I would leave room for doubt only because of their previous errors about him being a serial killer.

4. RookieInvestigator

RookieInvestigator Well-Known Member

I discovered it a few months ago so hopefully my memory holds up. But I believe people that knew him said he was a nice guy and they were surprised about the allegations that he murdered his ex-wife and prostitutes. Thomas Tomich had domestic issues in other relationships and marriages. So his exes may have a different take on him.

If he killed her, I'm surprised he stayed in the same area.

I agree, this case has so many twists and turns. Anything is possible!

5. Irish_Eyes

Irish_Eyes Well-Known Member

Every day I keep hoping for something new on this one. My trees by this point are much much more detailed. I was hoping that without the DNA there still might be someone who just stood out - perhaps someone who just seemed to fall off the map. Not so far. Always possible I missed something though, maybe even likely. Then again, it's also possible that it's just not going to show up on paper - an adoption or an NPE or something.

Soon, y'all. I really believe it's going to be soon. I think the people working this one are the right combo of smart and tenacious. Honestly, it's kind of heroic what they've done already when you think about it. I'm really rooting for them to bring this all the way home though.

Al Ka, stygianowl, windrower and 10 others like this.
  6. Alleykins

Alleykins Well-Known Member

I figured with the info we were given, I'd try my hand at genealogy research. It's been a lot of fun and very interesting. I'm sure your research is more in depth than mine, I'm so new at this.

What I'm finding is a ton of endogamy and the same surnames popping up over and over again. Multiple times in one sibling line. I would love to know which of those repetitive, common surnames were genetically linked and how strongly. That would help narrow the field.

I haven't found anything that stands out, either. What I'm finding are a ton of potential female descendants who could be the MC's mother, if she survived her encounter with TPR. And I hope they're contacting some of the closest female relatives in that age range who are still living or the immediate family of ones who have since passed away, because these women are now in their 60s & 70s, and aren't getting any younger. Waiting for more Mitchell-Livings female descendants to put their DNA profiles on GEDmatch could take forever.

At this point, an NPE wouldn't surprise me at all. Goodness knows TJ Mitchell took a long time to settle down, who knows how he conducted himself up until he did.

windrower, carbuff, Laughing and 3 others like this.
  7. Irish_Eyes

Well if there is an NPE, its further down than that. I was able to confirm that much, MC is definitely a descendant of TJ and one of his wives.

stygianowl, windrower and Laughing like this.
  8. Irish_Eyes

You're right though about the interconnected nature of the families. Even more true when you get into some of those ancillary lines.

9. Alleykins

Just curious, how were you able to confirm the MC is definitely a descendant of TJ and one of his wives? Did he have more than one? I only know of one wife, Lourana.

I'm going off strictly what I've read here and in news articles about the MC being a 5th or 6th gr grandchild of those two common ancestors, Mitchell & Livings.

10. Irish_Eyes

Will y'all stop letting me talk without my notes?? Or maybe not post on no sleep haha.

Correct Alleykins, I meant to say TJ and his wife and one of their known children. They're very sure they're looking at the right family lines.

11. Alleykins

No worries. Thanks for clarifying, I was getting worried I'd missed something, because I really don't know what I'm doing.
    But, how I read it, is that the common ancestors are TJ Mitchell and William Livings, no mention of their wives. Do you know for sure that the Mitchell family line they're researching sprung from both TJ and his wife, and not just TJ? I'm curious now.

windrower, carbuff and Laughing like this.
  12. Irish_Eyes

I believe so. I don't want to say 100% yes but that was my impression.

Stephen2016, Alleykins and Laughing like this.
  13. Alleykins

Thank you. The reason why I asked is because when DDP listed common ancestors for one case, they listed both the spouses, meaning it was their issue, tied to their union. I realize this is is a different entity researching and their way of disseminating info may be different. But in this case, only the two men were put out there, which I took to mean whoever it was sprung from their loins specifically, not necessarily them & their known wives, or they would have said (I hope).
    Because, according to one article, TJ Mitchell ran away at age seven and couch surfed, not sure for how long. Other articles & sources state he left home in his teens. No matter when he ran away, he had a lot of exposure in close quarters to young wives and mature daughters in his younger years, as he didn't get married until his early 30s. That's an awfully long time for a young man to stay chaste, just sayin.

Al Ka, Irish_Eyes, windrower and 2 others like this.
  14. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Cavaet: I'm not a researcher, just a voyeur.

I thought the wording on the information that's been released definitely implied that they thought that offspring from non-marital relationships were a possibility.

15. Alleykins

I've really enjoyed researching these two patriarchs' genealogy. I've gotten lost down a few rabbit holes and definitely hit some brick walls. Reading the censuses is my favorite part.

16. ClaireNC

ClaireNC Well-Known Member

windrower, Stephen2016 and carbuff like this.
  17. Hope32

Hope32 Mainly Lurker Sometimes Sleuther

Don't know if it has been posted on here, but they have 2 photo's that they feel are from Marie Vaughn's Birthday. They are currently trying to identify the people in the pictures..
    They aren't sure when or where these were taken, but have posted them on the Help ID Me FB page as well as 802UFNH

"Known aliases for the suspect include:

-Terry Peder Rasmussen

-Robert (Bob) T. Evans

-Curtis Mayo Kimball

-Jerry Edwards Gorman

-Gordon Curtis Jenson

-Lawrence William Vanner

The identities of the remaining victims found in Allenstown, NH, are Marlyse Honeychurch, Marie Vaughn and Sarah McWaters. They were last seen in La Puente California in November, 1978 with Terry Rasmussen. They have no known ties to Mississippi, and had no relationship to New Hampshire prior to them going missing."
    Regional authorities seek assistance in cold case involving murder of unidentified child
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Springrain, ballads1 and windrower like this.
  18. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Articles indicate Funk went missing in 1990, so while she could be a TR victim she can't be the remaining child's mother.

"What investigators do know is that Funk, who also went by the first name Star, left Houston, Texas, and headed to the Mississippi Gulf Coast some time between April and June 1990. Her brother confirmed she went missing in 1990."
    They now know her name, but what happened to Kimberly Ann Funk? - WXXV News 25

19. Stephen2016

Stephen2016 Well-Known Member

I've been trying to rule out this Girl ; Karri Ann Miguel from Sacaton Arizona Missing since April 4th 1979. Wanted to run this past this group Have been working this a little so far . Apparently isn't in the NAMUS db from what someone had told me.

[​IMG]

upload_2021-6-13_7-3-55.png

20. Alleykins

Great find. One possible reason she isn't in any MP databases is she was found, and there wasn't any follow up in the news. The only real way to find out is to call the Sacaton PD and ask. But again, great find.

John/Jane Doe, EllieFox and windrower like this.