NH NH - Connecticut River Valley Killer (1980s)

There has been a spree of bodies found in the Connecticut River in Springfield, Mass. Since May 25, there have been three bodies found. Investigators have come out today and said that they believe the incidents are completely separate and that no foul play is suspected. Details as follows:

May 25: West Springfield police responded to a report of a body in the river near the North End Bridge. The body — believed to be that of a man — “may have been in the river for an extended period of time,” said James Leydon, spokesman for the district attorney’s office.

May 27: Residents reported a man’s body in the river near the Pioneer Valley Yacht Club in Longmeadow. Leydon said that victim, too, may have been in the water for an extended period.

June 1: The body of a man reported missing on January 8 was discovered near the Memorial Bridge in West Springfield.

I'm concerned that the police are being lazy and aren't investigating this properly. Or, they are just putting out information so that people don't panic and think there's a serial killer on the loose.

These three aren't the only people that have shown up in bodies of water in Springfield, Mass this year.

Achim Bailey - 23 Year old Man who went missing in January 2019. They discovered his body in the Connecticut River in March. They say he was at a bar that night and was seen being kicked out of the bar by the bouncers. His phone turned off at 330 am. Police say no foul play. Here's an article.

Andrew Pearson - 25 Year old Man who went missing late January after leaving work early (around 4pm). Found in a lake at Forest Park in Springfield. Here's an article.

Here are prior websleuths threads about these two guys: Link #1 Link #2

I know the Ct. river flows slowly, but it does flow.
I wonder how long 'an extended amount of time is?
Unless they were weighted down, I would think those bodies would have traveled down river at least a short distance?

I live a bit north of springfield but pretty close to the river. When I first moved up here, I thought people were being dramatic about how many bodies were found in the ct river ... I'm from baltimore and our murder rate is nuts. But the number of bodies found in the ct river is pretty creepy. I wonder if they're all documented somewhere.

I wonder how long 'an extended amount of time is?

IDK - investigators haven't released like any information yet. I plan on monitoring and updating this with more information as they release it. One funny update: someone called in about another body they found in the CT river yesterday. Turns out it was a mannequin hahaha. Link

Achim Bailey and Andrew Pearson, the two guys apparently knew each other. They went to the same high school and were friends on facebook. Wonder if any of the knew bodies are related at all. Probably not, but this is certainly a curious coincidence.

Here is a recent You Tube video about these long cold cases:

IDK - investigators haven't released like any information yet. I plan on monitoring and updating this with more information as they release it. One funny update: someone called in about another body they found in the CT river yesterday. Turns out it was a mannequin hahaha. Link
That's nuts considering people usually think an actual body is a mannequin upon first notice.

I will give these cases another bump as these cases seem very cold and as I have mentioned the sister of one of the victims has described her sisters case as like a paper bag blowing in the wind. Here is a recent Podcast which discusses the cases:

Here is the sister of Barbara Agnew:

Anna Agnew compares her sister's case to a McDonald's bag floating in
the wind. Litter.
She calls it objectification. Her sister is a case number. No name. No face. The case is so cold, no one feels responsible for solving it.
"There's a timelessness to this pain that no one really gets," she said. "It's amazing to me how when I actually reflect on it or think about it or feel it, it's not 20 years ago, it's in the moment.
"It's truly right there as if it's happening today, here and now."

Wayback Machine

Thanks for confirming that "Barker" is Oakes. I long suspected as much but never knew for sure. As for "Bordeau," I know his real name now and have seen his home. He's a creepy guy, for sure, but I still think his mental condition precludes him from being organized enough to be the CRVK.
My aunt was friends with him, and said he was always in the woods practicing his martial arts, she said you could hear him a ways away, she lived nearby his house.He sure is a strange duck. He used to wave to my friend and I as we drove by. Just a creepy dude.

There was a book written several years ago called The Shadow of Death about these murderers. Just wanted to post it in case anyone is interested. It's by Philip E. Ginsburg.

The segment on Unsolved Mysteries of the Jane Boroski attack is one of the scariest things I have ever seen.
I have read that book ,and now own it, it was a Great read!

Thanks for the post and info. I cannot find the particular episode about the New Hampshire Serial Killer/Connecticut River Killer. I have looked before and it might be me because I am a little thick:):

October 9, 1991
  • Wanted: Connecticut River Valley Killer
  • Wanted: Judge John Fairbanks
  • Lost loves: Paul and Paula Scribner
  • Update: "Lost loves: Duncan Gilmore"
  • Update: "Mystery: Tyler"
List of Unsolved Mysteries episodes - Wikipedia

I have viewed the episode before though when it has been posted on You Tube and their it what I consider to be a good profile of the killer by the profiler John Philpin. He talks about the killer doing a lot of driving and liking to be in charge of the victims. Also the killer attacked one victim who survived. The killer was described as being very much in control as if he had committed serious crimes before and the more the victim resisted the more violent he became. Also of course the killer also gave out the big red herring about Massachusetts number plates:

A cold case heats up

In the nineteen seventies when the Springfield Mafia was more powerful, they dumped quite a few of their victims down the Connecticut River found miles away in Connecticut. Some as far down as the New Haven area. Some were solved and were done by a car thief who had ties to the mafia. Another one in the late 60's was that of a mother of two whose death was believed to be a homicide, also believed to be mafia related.

I saved a picture at one point of the sketch police came up with for Moore's hypothesized killer...it wasn't the same as the sketch they came up with after the Boroski incident. It was definitely a younger guy than the one drawn there!

I'll find it...somewhere....

Yes, you are correct. The drawing of the suspect in Lynda' s case is not the same sketch has Jane's case. Lynda' s murder has no connection to the other murders listed in the book Shadow of Death.

Body found in Connecticut River in Longmeadow, police investigating
LONGMEADOW – Police and firefighters recovered the body of a person in the Connecticut River Saturday afternoon.

The victim was spotted at about 1:30 p.m. in the area of known as the Meadows, which is across the river from Six Flags in Agawam, Police Capt. Gary Fontaine said.

Agawam and Longmeadow Fire Departments responded to the discovery and assisted in recovering the person, he said.

The body was sent to the Chief Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy, he said.

Longmeadow and Massachusetts State Police detectives are investigating the discovery, he said.
This is the third body that has been found in Springfield or Longmeadow in three weeks. On May 17 the body of a male was found in the river in Longmeadow off Dunn Road, about a mile where the person was found on Saturday. On May 30 the body of a man was recovered near the Basketball Hall of Fame.

James Leydon, spokesman for Hampden District Attorney Anthony Gulluni said there is no public safety concern related to the May 30 discovery, which is being investigated by State Police assigned to Gulluni’s office.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back