NH - Djeswende ‘Wendy’, 66, & Stephen Reid, 67, Shot on Hiking Trail, Concord, Apr 2022 *Logan Clegg Arrested*

"Concord Assistant City Planner Beth Fenstermacher, who oversees the trail ranger position. “I still go out on the trails every single morning with my dog. But you know, just be more mindful and watch what’s happening around you.”

Is she implying, suggesting ... ?

Can you please explain what you think the assistant planner is suggesting? I'm not following. Thanks.

I don’t want to speak for the previous poster, but I personally thought the City Planner’s quote sounded a bit like victim blaming—as though the Reids’ inattentiveness or failure to be “mindful” while hiking is somehow to blame for their murders.

I hadn't really taken the City Planner's statement as victim-blaming, more as an appeasement to people who want to use the trails but feel too worried by the murders to do so. I got the impression the City Planner is not as much of a "worrier" and feels like the likelihood of a similar crime to be small. Totally jmo so I am glad to read your opinion because it didn't even cross my mind as possibly being victim-blaming. I can see now how it could be read that way.

I saw it more as people having different comfort levels with potential risk. (And in this case, the risk became apparent after the murders so that's why I didn't initially see it as victim-blaming in any way.)

MOO.

I don’t want to speak for the previous poster, but I personally thought the City Planner’s quote sounded a bit like victim blaming—as though the Reids’ inattentiveness or failure to be “mindful” while hiking is somehow to blame for their murders.

Thanks! I appreciate your response. That didn't occur to me! It's unfortunate because I doubt that was the assistant planner's intent. Her job overseas the the trail ranger, so she is charged with promoting use of the trails. I read her comment in that vein. It didn't see it as blaming the victims, but now I see how it could appear that way.

To me, the assistant planner's comment echoes what law enforcement has been saying publicly: they don't believe there is a threat to the general public (otherwise they'd be urging people to stay off the trails) but cautioning people that they must weigh the risk for themselves.

All of which made me wonder if the OP thought the city employee was implying that the Reids were targeted rather than random victims.

I hadn't really taken the City Planner's statement as victim-blaming, more as an appeasement to people who want to use the trails but feel too worried by the murders to do so. I got the impression the City Planner is not as much of a "worrier" and feels like the likelihood of a similar crime to be small. Totally jmo so I am glad to read your opinion because it didn't even cross my mind as possibly being victim-blaming. I can see now how it could be read that way.

I saw it more as people having different comfort levels with potential risk. (And in this case, the risk became apparent after the murders so that's why I didn't initially see it as victim-blaming in any way.)

MOO.
Thanks for clarifying. I agree with your assessment about individual levels of comfort. Since her job promotes use of the trail network, she is likely more familiar with or comfortable on the trails. Or has she's confident in her dog's reliability in alerting her to others in the vicinity.

Another factor may be time. Since weeks have now passed since the Reids were murdered without further attacks on the trails, people are becoming more comfortable walking the trails again. Walkers will plan to be more vigilant but over time it will gradually become routine.

With the killer(s) still at large, the murders of this couple are undoubtedly on the mind of everyone who considers walking on the trails.

Since they left their phones at home, I didn't think the Reids would have accounts on any popular hiking or fitness apps. I looked, but didn't find any. What I did see is the park is a popular mountain bike area. Over a thousand bike rides have been logged through there including a few on the (Orange) Marsh Trail between April 18 and 21. Since many bikers, and most hikers, either don't use apps, or keep their app info private, this suggests the trails are quite popular. This also suggests the Reids were not visible to a number of other trail users during those four days.

The trail system looks fairly new. According to CNH NEMBA, who helped establish some of the new trails, the parking lot is new and trail work was begun just before the pandemic. According to this update, some of the park land was purchased by the city in 2017 and 2019. A Capital Partnership is Born
Maybe someone local can elaborate more about this.

I have to wonder if one scenario might involve a nearby resident. Someone who, until recently, had enjoyed this parcel of land as their own personal backyard for target practice or whatever, was pissed off about it suddenly becoming a popular destination, then unfortunately taking this frustration out on the Reids.

Some local landowners here in NC have protested nearby trail development and property easements, arguing it devalued their property and the trails would appeal to vagrants. Fortunately these debates played out in courts rather than resorting to violence.

I think that robbery is a possible motive. I can imagine the following scenario:

To reach the trials, the Reids likely would have crossed the parking lot of the park on Portsmouth St. From video images it appears that the police searches have been close to this parking lot. Also, I believe that the abandoned homeless camp is next to this parking lot.

The killer (or killers) may have been a resident at this camp at the time. The parking lot was a place where homeless people hang out, but may also be a place where drug or other transactions took place. In any case, it is possible that the killer was a criminal who was hanging out there without necessarily wanting to visit the trails.

As the Reids crossed the small parking lot, the killer saw it as an opportunity. They followed the Reids into the part for a short time and tried to rob them. However, the Reids had probably very few things of any value. They both left their phones at home and Steve left his wallet at home. This must have frustrated the robber and may have led to a confrontation leading up to the murders.

Since everything happened close to Portsmouth St (as far as I can tell) it would have been easy for the killer to get away quickly.

I still think this might be a hate crime, but robbery is a more common motive. But it also could have been both, of course.

If it was similar to the scenario above, then it will be a tough crime to solve because it the crime is mostly random. Hopefully, law enforcement was able to secure some physical evidence such as bullets and shells.

Can you please explain what you think the assistant planner is suggesting? I'm not following. Thanks.
Happy to.

"But, you know, just be more mindful and watch what's happening around you."

In my world, what public officials say within the context of the moment, matters.

If you don't think she's suggesting the Reids were not mindful enough and didn't watch what was happening around them, well ...

Happy to.

In my world, what public officials say within the context of the moment, matters.

If you don't think she's suggesting the Reids were not mindful enough and didn't watch what was happening around them, well ...

In the context of the moment, that being a double homicide with killer(s) still on the loose, advising the public to maybe be more mindful and on alert while on the trails doesn't strike me as victim blaming at all.

In the context of the moment, that being a double homicide with killer(s) still on the loose, advising the public to maybe be more mindful and on alert while on the trails doesn't strike me as victim blaming at all.
I agree! It sounds like sensible advice. She wasn't saying anything about whether the Reids were mindful. She was simply telling anyone who choses to use the trail to be more mindful than they would have been before the murders.

It really seems like nitpicking a city employee's comment, ascribing some intent that wasn't likely there. Unless she knew the Reids, she wouldn't know whether they were mindful or not. I understand the frustration with the apparent lack of progress, as far as the public knows. But the comments attributing this quote as casting aspersions on the victims seem overly harsh in my opinion.

Last edited:
All of which made me wonder if the OP thought the city employee was implying that the Reids were targeted rather than random victims.
I'm not sure if I'm the OP you refer to (I posted the article this came from), or if it's the person who quoted from my snipped quote from the article, but I certainly wasn't trying to imply anything. FWIW I agree with your last comment that the city employee was likely just trying to provide sensible advice.

I also don't think her remark was intended to deflect any city liability. I don't really know what that could even be, especially given what little we know so far. If the city had blazed a trail across an unstable rock ledge at a cliff, and people were falling off that, then yeah, maybe there might be a case. But I don't see what they could have done to prevent this.

Happy to.

I don’t think she’s suggesting that at all.

I think she’s suggesting that people should be more mindful, watchful, etc. than they were before the murders. Why? Because there’s been a couple of murders, and we don’t know why.

From the news articles (see below) it is clear that law enforcement was looking for electronic devices with storage at the crime scene.

I wonder, why is law enforcement looking for electronic storage devices at the crime scene?

According to their son, the Reids left their phones at home. What other electronic devices could they have taken with them on their walk? A camera? Fitbit or similar device? Is there reason to believe the perpetrator(s) left any electronic device with storage behind?

This leads to another question:

Were there any items taken from the victims?

Police have not mentioned any items taken. But often such information is kept secret. I remember a case where a student was shot in a fraternity. Police never mentioned that items were taken, but eventually the perpetrators were caught because they were trying to sell a gaming system that they had stolen. In the Reid case, could it be that some items were taken, like a fitbit, jewelry (for example wedding bands)?

From: Update: Steve and Wendy Reid recalled for their love and warmth – ‘They were just a nice couple’

“The bed was neatly made and a window was open. Both their phones are still in the apartment. My Dad’s wallet is also still in the apartment, and both their cars are here,” Brian wrote.

From: Investigators Back At Concord Retired Couple Shootings Crime Scene:

Concord detectives, a Hillsborough County Sheriff's Department K-9 unit, and others were seen on Thursday recanvassing a number of areas in and around the location where the retired couple was killed. The Hillsborough K-9 unit, which was also at the scene during the 48-hour canvass after the Reid's bodies were found, specializes in searching for electronic evidence — cellphones, computer hard drives, SD cards, and other items. Law enforcement officials also had marking tape and other items with them during the searches.

From: Specially Trained K-9 Helps Task Force Fight Child Abuse Images

(Niko is a dog)

Niko is used to search for electronic storage devices that can include hard drives, SD cards, hidden cameras with storage devices, and cell phones. [...]
Niko can search in areas where there are several different types of electronic devices but is trained to only detect the items with storage capabilities. Deputy Fleming explained that electronic storage devices are treated with a chemical to prevent them from overheating when data is being written or retrieved from the devices. The specific chemicals are the items Niko has been trained to detect.

From the news articles (see below) it is clear that law enforcement was looking for electronic devices with storage at the crime scene.

I wonder, why is law enforcement looking for electronic storage devices at the crime scene?

According to their son, the Reids left their phones at home. What other electronic devices could they have taken with them on their walk? A camera? Fitbit or similar device? Is there reason to believe the perpetrator(s) left any electronic device with storage behind?

This leads to another question:

Were there any items taken from the victims?

Police have not mentioned any items taken. But often such information is kept secret. I remember a case where a student was shot in a fraternity. Police never mentioned that items were taken, but eventually the perpetrators were caught because they were trying to sell a gaming system that they had stolen. In the Reid case, could it be that some items were taken, like a fitbit, jewelry (for example wedding bands)?

From: Update: Steve and Wendy Reid recalled for their love and warmth – ‘They were just a nice couple’

“The bed was neatly made and a window was open. Both their phones are still in the apartment. My Dad’s wallet is also still in the apartment, and both their cars are here,” Brian wrote.

From: Investigators Back At Concord Retired Couple Shootings Crime Scene:

Concord detectives, a Hillsborough County Sheriff's Department K-9 unit, and others were seen on Thursday recanvassing a number of areas in and around the location where the retired couple was killed. The Hillsborough K-9 unit, which was also at the scene during the 48-hour canvass after the Reid's bodies were found, specializes in searching for electronic evidence — cellphones, computer hard drives, SD cards, and other items. Law enforcement officials also had marking tape and other items with them during the searches.

From: Specially Trained K-9 Helps Task Force Fight Child Abuse Images

(Niko is a dog)

Niko is used to search for electronic storage devices that can include hard drives, SD cards, hidden cameras with storage devices, and cell phones. [...]
Niko can search in areas where there are several different types of electronic devices but is trained to only detect the items with storage capabilities. Deputy Fleming explained that electronic storage devices are treated with a chemical to prevent them from overheating when data is being written or retrieved from the devices. The specific chemicals are the items Niko has been trained to detect.
Wow, that is interesting, @black_squirrel! I wonder if the Reids had another cell phone beside the 2 found at the apartment. Or a GPS device they used on the trails.

NH AG Offers $5K Reward in Murder Case of Couple in Concord – NBC Boston
<snipped & BBM>
Sixty-seven-year-old Stephen Reid and 66-year-old Djeswende Reid were reported missing by family members on April 20. They had gone out for a walk two days earlier in the Broken Ground Trails area. Their bodies were found on April 21, each shot several times.

"It is crucial that any person who has any information regarding these murders report to the police what information is known to them, no matter how inconsequential the person believes the information may be," Formella said.

NH AG Offers $5K Reward in Murder Case of Couple in Concord – NBC Boston
<snipped & BBM>
Sixty-seven-year-old Stephen Reid and 66-year-old Djeswende Reid were reported missing by family members on April 20. They had gone out for a walk two days earlier in the Broken Ground Trails area. Their bodies were found on April 21, each shot several times.

"It is crucial that any person who has any information regarding these murders report to the police what information is known to them, no matter how inconsequential the person believes the information may be," Formella said.
Ugh - shot several times each? Does anyone know of other cases of hikers being shot during an attempted robbery? Most people out for a walk have very little of value on them so robbery seems like such an unlikely motive. But this couple also seem so mild-mannered and from such a low-risk demographic, to have been a victim of a targeted attack by someone they possibly knew also seems incredibly unlikely.

I am at a loss for what happened here - really hoping the police have more leads.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back