NH - Fatal Motorcycles & Truck Crash, Coos County, 21 June 2019

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Richrd, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Oh, my. Packets of heroin in his home. Not good.

RIP to all those killed, condolences to their family and friends.

2. PastTense

PastTense Well-Known Member

"The driver of a truck in a crash that killed seven motorcyclists in New Hampshire was arrested on drunken driving charges last month and in 2013.

Connecticut court records show Volodymyr Zhukovskyy was stopped by police in East Windsor, Connecticut, on May 11. Details of the arrest were not immediately available. A message seeking comment was left for his lawyer in that case.

Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles records show Zhukovskyy was arrested for drunken driving in 2013 in Westfield, Massachusetts.

The Westfield News reported he was placed on probation for one year and had his license suspended for 210 days."
    The Latest: Suspect in motorcycle crash appears in court

When I started reading this thread my thoughts were that because he was towing this big massive hard-to-handle trailer this was the type of accident that could happen to lots of people. But later with the articles about heroin possession and drunk driving convictions the felony charges are much more likely to be true.

I don't understand why any transportation company would hire drivers with drunk driving convictions; it's just too risky.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  3. JDough

JDough Well-Known Member

4. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

what can you even say here? i've tried 4 times and deleted each thought because... there just aren't any words. I have no idea what justice looks like here.

Lost my brother to a hit and run. Motorcycle vs. city bus. There's just no words and it never gets easier. Never.

Heartbreaking for all those who knew and loved these folks.

5. OhioBlues

OhioBlues Well-Known Member

His employer said that the driver had not called him and he wasn't accepting the employers phone calls. That was in a Sunday article posted on WS.

Would the police have been able to test him?

JDough likes this.
  6. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

Usually when you go to the hospital, they ask you if your injury is work related. If the driver went to the hospital, stated yes, it was work related, then maybe. The company drug policy would be the deciding factor. If police expected him of being under the influence, they may have requested he be drug tested. (FYI - marijuana stays in your system for 37 days. I used to have to rescind job offers when the drug test came back.)

I looked up the employer. It is a very small company, like 5 employees. In my opinion, there likely is not a drug policy. I’m sure they have the required insurance, or they wouldn’t be in business. I think financially, it will devastate the employer, and bankruptcy will be forthcoming. There’s no way a small employer, even with good insurance, can recover from the legal aspect of this. JMO.

RIP to all the lost souls and their families.

7. OhioBlues

This article includes that he was arrested a month ago for Driving Under Influence of Alcohol and Drugs.

Welcome to Juneuary: Colorado gets almost 2 feet of snow on the first day of summer

If he is in custody and has been on heroin then he will be dope sick by tomorrow's hearing. JMO.

8. OhioBlues

GarAndTeed, AzPistonsGirl and JDough like this.
  9. PastTense

"Volodymyr Zhukovskyy waived arraignment Tuesday on seven counts of negligent homicide for his alleged role in a crash that killed seven people Friday on a New Hampshire highway. A not guilty plea was entered on his behalf.

Here are some key facts we know about Zhukovskyy, 23, and the case pending against the West Springfield resident...

He was ordered held in “preventive detention” Tuesday, on the grounds that his “criminal and driving history exhibit a pattern of operating a motor vehicle in a dangerous manner,” a bail order says. “If released, he will likely present a danger to the safety of defendant or the public.”...

Zhukovskyy’s checkered driving record began at age 16, when, according to court records, police in West Springfield found him and another man in a car crashed into heavy brush. Zhukovskyy was charged with driving without a license, speeding, and negligent operation of a motor vehicle...

The Zhukovskyy family is originally from Ukraine and has lived in the United States for about 13 years...

Zhukovskyy had begun working for Westfield Transport three days before the crash, according to the company’s owner, Dartanyan Gasanov. Zhukovskyy had gotten his commercial driving license less than a year ago, according to Zhukovskyy’s brother-in-law...

Online records for the US Department of Transportation dating back two years show that the company hasn’t had any prior crashes resulting in injuries or death during that period. However, 21 out of 45 inspections in that period turned up various safety violations, according to a DOT database. In March of 2018, a driver was cited for having “Drugs/Alcohol” in the vehicle, and a company truck had an “inadequate break system,” the database says."

As driver waives arraignment, here’s what we know about the N.H. crash that killed 7 people - The Boston Globe

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  10. PastTense

"The head of the Massachusetts motor vehicle division has resigned for failing to terminate the commercial driving license of man whose collision with a group of motorcyclists in New Hampshire left seven dead.

Massachusetts Department of Transportation Secretary and CEO Stephanie Pollack said in a statement that the RMV failed to act on information provided by the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles about an incident involving Zhukovskyy that should have cost him his license. As a result, she accepted the resignation of Erin Deveney."

Official: Driver in motorcycle wreck should've lost license

GarAndTeed, LadyL, JDough and 3 others like this.
  11. JDough

JDough Well-Known Member

It seems the information coming out continues to grow worse. This horrifying event could have been prevented. :(

[...] He was driving erratically and crossed the center line, according to criminal complaints released Tuesday.

[...] A survivor of the crash (Manny Ribeiro) said the trailer wiped out most of the bikers behind him.

[...] After the crash, Ribeiro recalled seeing Zhukovskyy "screaming and running around" in the road before authorities arrived and took him away.

Connecticut prosecutors said Zhukovskyy was arrested May 11 in a Walmart parking lot in East Windsor after failing a sobriety test. [...]

Police in Texas told several media outlets that Zhukovskyy also crashed a tractor trailer in suburban Houston earlier this month. [...]

[...] Zhukovskyy's court file includes a letter dated Sunday from a deportation officer from Immigration and Customs Enforcement requesting details on his 2017 heroin and cocaine convictions.

Motor vehicle head resigns over fatal crash that killed 7

GarAndTeed, LadyL, Betty P and 2 others like this.
  12. taylorss

taylorss Well-Known Member

^^ “Zhukovskyy, a driver for a transport company who has a history of traffic arrests, was ordered Tuesday to remain in preventive detention, with a judge saying his driving record poses a potential danger to the public and himself.

Tragically too little too late

13. PastTense

"The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency is taking steps to ensure a Ukrainian-born truck driver whose collision with motorcyclists in New Hampshire left seven dead remains in custody even if his criminal case were dismissed...

Jail Superintendent Ben Champagne said ICE placed a detainer on Zhukovskyy on Tuesday. A detainer means even if the case were to be dismissed, Zhukovskyy would be turned over to ICE for possible deportation. A spokesperson for ICE confirmed that a detainer was issued. Messages were left for ICE and Zhukovskyy's public defender, Melissa Davis, seeking comment."

ICE lays claim to driver accused in deadly NH motorcycle crash

14. Damarna

Damarna Well-Known Member

Commerical drivers licence = mandatory drug testing street an accident by the DOT.

Betty P, JDough and PayrollNerd like this.
  15. PastTense

"For at least 15 months, Registry of Motor Vehicles officials ignored tens of thousands of alerts that Massachusetts-licensed motorists had broken driving laws in other states — including for drunken driving and other serious infractions — and instead stuffed them, apparently unread, into mail bins inside a Quincy office building.

As a result, at least 540 drivers who should have had their Massachusetts licenses suspended for driving under the influence elsewhere were allowed to stay on the road, and officials still don’t know the total number of notifications that were ultimately missed, according to a still-unfolding review into the bureaucratic failures within the RMV...

Officials launched the review in response to the case of Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, a 23-year-old West Springfield truck driver who faces seven counts of negligent homicide after allegedly crashing into a group of motorcycle riders, killing seven, last month in Randolph, N.H."

In wake of deadly crash, Mass. suspends more than 500 licenses - The Boston Globe

16. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Reading through the linked article, it looks like they need to update some of their computer software, etc. States should exchange this information digitally, instead of sending notices in the mail. Local governments/small counties are also behind the times on this stuff.

A friend who likes to go camping and hiking often travels through small towns with speed traps. A couple of times, they've gotten speeding tickets, paid them by mail and still had their license revoked by the state for non-payment. Took almost a year after hiring a lawyer to get all the paperwork straightened out. Many of these little towns don't even have web sites or email capability.

GarAndTeed, JDough and OhioBlues like this.
  17. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

18. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

19. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

As I was out driving today I noticed a flatbed trailer next to me. I immediately thought of this awful tragedy & the horror of driving along & having one of those jackknife - and then to see it coming right at you. There was absolutely no time to react I’m sure, and there probably wasn’t anywhere to go even if they could. So sad.