NH NH - Joanne Dunham, 15, Charlestown, 11 June 1968

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Pettibon Junction, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Pettibon Junction

Pettibon Junction Active Member

Couldn't find an existing thread on Joanne.

From the NH Dept. of Justice website:

"On June 11, 1968 at approximately 7:10 a.m., Joanne Dunham, age 15, was last seen while walking from her home at Raiche Mobile Homes in Charlestown, NH enroute to her bus stop on her way to school. She never got on the bus. Her body was found at approximately 4:15 p.m. the following day on a roped off dirt road on Quaker City Road in Unity NH approximately 5½ miles from where she was abducted. An autopsy determined that Joanne died of asphyxiation."

Does anyone know if this case has been investigated as an early Rodney Alcala murder? According to most of the available timelines, Alcala was on the east coast in 1968 and worked as a counselor at a theatre camp near Lake Sunapee, right in between where Joanne disappeared from and the place her body was later found. The details of her murder line up seamlessly with Alcala's known preferences.

http://doj.nh.gov/criminal/cold-case/victim-list/joanne-dunham.htm

cobalt sky likes this.

2. MrsTigglesworth

MrsTigglesworth Active Member

Thanks for the thread! I am not an Alcala researcher, so can't help with that...but I did find an old 1969 article about her death which states they had three suspects. One of those was a "prime suspect" and all three were said to be New Hampshire men. It also noted her hands were bound behind her back and her mouth and head were bound in 2" masking tape. (Paraphrased) Hope that helps some.

I can't link the ancestry newspaper, but took a screenshot if needed.

ETA: they also say they had "one good clue"

3. Pettibon Junction

I'd love to know what that "one good clue" was. My guess would be hair or prints trapped in the bindings...

Please do post that screenshot! There's so little about this case online.

4. Pettibon Junction

It looks like Alcala was still in L.A. for Joanne's murder.

5. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member

Joanne Dunham
    The 1968 unsolved homicide of Joanne Dunham.
    [​IMG]
    Year of Death or Disappearance: 1968

City/Town: Charlestown

On June 11, 1968 at approximately 7:10 a.m., Joanne Dunham, age 15, was last seen while walking from her home at Raiche Mobile Homes in Charlestown, NH enroute to her bus stop on her way to school. She never got on the bus. Her body was found at approximately 4:15 p.m. the following day on a roped off dirt road on Quaker City Road in Unity NH approximately 5½ miles from where she was abducted. An autopsy determined that Joanne died of asphyxiation.

cobalt sky likes this.
  6. Stephen2016

Stephen2016 Well-Known Member

I was looking at this in regards to the Connecticut River Valley Killer in Claremont NH area . One thing I noticed is that there seemed to be some similarities with the Sandra Valade murder in 1960. She was walking from a bus stop though to her home. Edward Coolidge was charged with the murders of Sandra Valade , and a Pamela Mason 1964 . it's an involved case . Unsolved Mysteries Wiki.

What I'm wondering is Did Coolidge act alone and did he know anyone that was from the Claremont Area possibly ?

There was a blog also that I was reading where the author posted that a 1989, Carrie Moss's murder may also be connected to the Connecticut River Valley Killer? Carrie Moss is a cold case from New Boston NH , not far from Manchester NH where Coolidge back in 1960's was tried on murder charges.

7. Fede

Fede Well-Known Member

cobalt sky likes this.
  8. Richard

9. Richard

[​IMG]
    50 years later, murder is still unsolved

From the New Hampshire Department of Justice website:

"On June 11, 1968 at approximately 7:10 a.m., Joanne Dunham, age 15, was last seen while walking from her home at Raiche Mobile Homes in Charlestown, NH enroute to her bus stop on her way to school. She never got on the bus. Her body was found at approximately 4:15 p.m. the following day on a roped-off dirt road on Quaker City Road in Unity NH approximately 5½ miles from where she was abducted. An autopsy determined that Joanne died of asphyxiation."

Although Joanne was sexually assaulted, it is unknown if DNA is available for testing.

If you have information on this case, contact:

Cold Case Unit
    NH State Police Major Crime Unit
    33 Hazen Drive
    Concord NH 03305
    Telephone: 603-271-2663
    Fax: 603-223-6270
    E-mail: coldcaseunit@dos.nh.gov

LINK:
    Kidnapping, Murder, and Mayhem: Who Strangled 15-year-old Joanne Dunham?

MerBeach and Stephen2016 like this.
  10. Chark

Chark New Member

Joanne is my cousin. I've been looking for information on her case but there is so little there.