NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 #15

There’s some chatter on James Renner’s Twitter about a new witness that reached out to him in this case. I haven’t followed this thread religiously and don’t have time to read all the tweets, just thought I’d mention it here! Hopefully it’s something of value.

Looks like it is going to be about the tandem driver theory. He linked to some news he had back in 2014 that he thinks relates to the new news. The 2014 news was about someone at a convenience store who said she thought she saw Maura just about an hour before she disappeared. She said she was with two other girls.

Renner says he will update everything next week.

I live in NH and know the area, it is remote, vast and rough terrain and people rarely go off the road hiking it. I am not in the least bit surprised nothing has been found and do believe she died from the elements especially if she had alcohol in her system. She did not want to be found due to her leaving the scene likely in fear of a DUI and may well have gone into the woods when she saw oncoming traffic and when hypothermia sets in many people seem to wander into the woods and perish. Also if memory serves me they used air scent dogs days later instead of ground scent dogs.
Agreed. As a NH resident as well, I think folks don't understand that unprepared hikers from Massachusetts get lost in the woods here once a week. We do manage to find most of them, they call 911 from the tops of mountains, from Appalachian trail huts, logging roads, ATV trails etc. Usually no water, inappropriate footwear, no coats. They show up in the mid afternoon and think they can climb Mt Washington before sundown in sneakers. Maura ran down the road fearing the cops and entered the woods somewhere. She was a runner after all, I imagine she could have gone 1/2 mile down the road before the cops showed up.

I live in NH and know the area, it is remote, vast and rough terrain and people rarely go off the road hiking it. I am not in the least bit surprised nothing has been found and do believe she died from the elements especially if she had alcohol in her system. She did not want to be found due to her leaving the scene likely in fear of a DUI and may well have gone into the woods when she saw oncoming traffic and when hypothermia sets in many people seem to wander into the woods and perish. Also if memory serves me they used air scent dogs days later instead of ground scent dogs.

Agreed. As a NH resident as well, I think folks don't understand that unprepared hikers from Massachusetts get lost in the woods here once a week. We do manage to find most of them, they call 911 from the tops of mountains, from Appalachian trail huts, logging roads, ATV trails etc. Usually no water, inappropriate footwear, no coats. They show up in the mid afternoon and think they can climb Mt Washington before sundown in sneakers. Maura ran down the road fearing the cops and entered the woods somewhere. She was a runner after all, I imagine she could have gone 1/2 mile down the road before the cops showed up.

Looks like it is going to be about the tandem driver theory. He linked to some news he had back in 2014 that he thinks relates to the new news. The 2014 news was about someone at a convenience store who said she thought she saw Maura just about an hour before she disappeared. She said she was with two other girls.

Renner says he will update everything next week.

Looks like Renner got trolled again, lol. No new witness.

Looks like Renner got trolled again, lol. No new witness.

Yep. Sounds like he has a lot of people who contact him and just make up stories. Doesn't sound like this was the first time that it happened. This person seemed to know some little known facts though so that is what made him initially believe them. Sounds like they knew the names of other people that Maura went to college with and things like that. In this day and age though it wouldn't be that difficult to find out that kind of info if someone really wanted to. It would really take someone calling in and giving them a detailed description of what happened to Maura after the accident and then the police following up on it and finding out the things they said were true for them to really seem legit.

Curious if anyone here knows who contacted Maura’s supervisor to have her check on Maura? Just curious. Not that it means much...
I just read something that said the supervisor was asked to check on Maura but I don’t ever recall anyone mentioning who asked for her to check? What did that person witness? How well did they know Maura? Just questions that came to mind...
I’ve always wondered about the Pettit Vasi angle, the student that was hit right before Maura’s supervisor found her upset. Is it possible she went on break and witnessed it or was she somehow involved?

If she's buried someplace, whoever buried her would have had to wait til springtime because the frost can be up to 3 feet deep in the winter in NH. You'd never dig through that with a shovel. Even the largest excavator would have a hard time breaking through that.
Good point!
If I were investigating this I would search areas that any suspects frequented. Typically murderers hide the body in a familiar place. It’s been so long now it seems to me it would be hard to determine these places. Such a sad and frustrating case.

Why should Bill not be eliminated as a suspect?
I thought it was proven that Bill was in Fort Sill at the time? I highly doubt he is guilty, even considering his behavior towards woman. His alibi is too solid and it’s not like he hired someone. She packed up her things, she took out the money, she purchased the alcohol and she made the trip. He wasn’t directly involved IMO. Indirectly he probably added undue stress to her life. If he treated her the way he has treated other woman I can see why she was running/leaving/taking a break....

I thought it was proven that Bill was in Fort Sill at the time? I highly doubt he is guilty, even considering his behavior towards woman. His alibi is too solid and it’s not like he hired someone. She packed up her things, she took out the money, she purchased the alcohol and she made the trip. He wasn’t directly involved IMO. Indirectly he probably added undue stress to her life. If he treated her the way he has treated other woman I can see why she was running/leaving/taking a break....
ive always wondered how proven that was... like was he just signed in and supposed to be there or was he actually physically there

I don't think they know 100% that he was there. I think they knew he was there like the day before and they were relying on the word of a certain number of people that he was there that particular day.

He likely was part of the reason she decided to run off for a while but chances are probably pretty slim he was directly involved. Probably if Maura was physically harmed by a guy she knew it would have been someone she knew more local to her. As a lot of young people have certain 'types' that they like and if Bill was the 'type' that Maura liked he likely wouldn't have been the only bad boy she was involved with as college kids tend to 'get around'. Especially so if their dating partner isn't physically available to them which would have been the situation Maura and Bill would have been in.

ive always wondered how proven that was... like was he just signed in and supposed to be there or was he actually physically there

He traveled to NH from Oklahoma killed her then signed back in? No i don't think so

He traveled to NH from Oklahoma killed her then signed back in? No i don't think so
I originally posted about it because it is a theory people still put out there and I disagree completely. It would make no sense besides the fact that he was all the way in Oklahoma. She had her own plans and left of her own volition. Even if he was in on the plan to travel with her it still doesn’t make sense. It’s too convoluted. I think the answer is much simpler. I feel like theories kind of get out of hand, too much going on in that scenario, along with the tandem driver scenario...Seems to me she wanted to be alone. It also seems like she didn’t want to disappear because she emailed her teachers that their was a death in the family. In my opinion she was trying to stay on good terms with the school and her professors. A death is a valid reason to leave school. Therefore I believe she had every intention of returning after clearing her head in a spot that most likely was her happy place.
Either way BR was not involved other than to have possibly been just one more stressor in her life. I remember that age well and it is definitely a time where you are really trying to figure things out. I feel like that was her plan, the alcohol kept getting in her way. I can relate to that too. Making terrible decisions at that age confounded by alcohol use. Not trying to put her in a bad light. I know that I was guilty of it. Many of us probably were at that age.

My ideas just spew out, sorry. I should have started a new thread rather than quoting your response.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back