NH - Kassandra - Benjamin - Mason Sweeney Shot to Death in Northfield - Juvenile Charged *ARREST*

The closest to this bizarre that I know of is a pending case in Oconee County SC where 8 and 9 year old “juveniles” or “children” shot a neighbor who was running a tractor and killed him. They, and not the adults who were responsible for the gun, were charged somehow.

I think we will find that there is a mental health issue here but then, anytime a minor commits a horrific act of violence I tend to think that there is an underlying mental health issue at play. Maybe that is simply my own bias.
<modsnip>

I am curious to know the motive. Hard to imagine what would drive a person to assassinate those babies. I guess all we can do is wait and see.

Kudos to those, who speculated after the initial presser, that the cryptic, there is no danger to the public talk was actually code for while we haven't charged someone for the killings yet, there is a minor in custody who we know is responsible.

Last edited by a moderator:
The closest to this bizarre that I know of is a pending case in Oconee County SC where 8 and 9 year old “juveniles” or “children” shot a neighbor who was running a tractor and killed him. They, and not the adults who were responsible for the gun, were charged somehow.

2016 Tennessee case

An 11-year-old boy in Jefferson County, Tennessee, has been sentenced to spend the next eight years in juvenile prison for the murder of an 8-year-old girl, according to a court document.

While it may seem surprising to some that the father, the person whose choice to leave a loaded gun unsecured led to the death of 8-year-old MaKayla, faced no charges, this is often the case. In Tennessee, it is not uncommon for the gun owning adult in these cases not to be charged. The first year MaKayla’s Law was filed and presented before the Senate Judiciary Committee, District Attorney Ray Whitley was called to testify. He spoke in favor of the bill as well, noting the difficulty in prosecuting reckless endangerment cases, the lack of legal guidance when it comes to filing charges in these cases, and the inconsistency of when or if charges are filed.

"A juvenile has been arrested and charged under the juvenile laws with three counts of first-degree murder and one count of falsifying physical evidence in connection with the homicides of Kassandra Sweeney, age 25, and her two sons Benjamin Sweeney, age 4, and Mason Sweeney, age 1, in Northfield on August 3, 2022," the release reads.
[snip]
Authorities explained that since the arrested suspect is a juvenile, "the law precludes any further information from being released," regarding the person's name, age and other identifying information at this time.
Juvenile Arrested in Connection with Murders of New Hampshire Mother and Her 2 Young Sons

I am curious about the child's history... particularly <modsnip> behavior immediately before and after these murders. IMO the family members know <modsnip> best and would know if KS (or others) expressed any fears before this happened. I believe rehabilitation is possible in many cases (no, not all, but many - circumstances matter). I hope all of these family members can work together with the DA and LE for healing and safety for everyone. jmo

2016 Tennessee case

An 11-year-old boy in Jefferson County, Tennessee, has been sentenced to spend the next eight years in juvenile prison for the murder of an 8-year-old girl, according to a court document.

While it may seem surprising to some that the father, the person whose choice to leave a loaded gun unsecured led to the death of 8-year-old MaKayla, faced no charges, this is often the case. In Tennessee, it is not uncommon for the gun owning adult in these cases not to be charged. The first year MaKayla’s Law was filed and presented before the Senate Judiciary Committee, District Attorney Ray Whitley was called to testify. He spoke in favor of the bill as well, noting the difficulty in prosecuting reckless endangerment cases, the lack of legal guidance when it comes to filing charges in these cases, and the inconsistency of when or if charges are filed.

It really should be as simple as if someone owns the gun, they automatically own the responsibility. I go to great lengths to secure things if somebody is just visiting me and have a child with them. Bad incidents involving weapons and children happen way too much.

I’m not trying to play armchair psychiatrist and we know nothing about the young person alleged but just in general, I can’t wrap my head around how even a younger teen could use a gun in a violent act such as this against 1 person and not just be completely mind blown from the trauma of it. And we are talking about 3 victims.
I witnessed a car crash when I was 14 and the guy was injured but coherent and I knew the outcome looked good but that mentally rocked my world for some time. I’m currently following 2 cases that I don’t guess I’ll ever understand.

Hi - the gender is defined in the official NH DOJ arrest news release: Last line of Juvenile Charged in Connection with Northfield Homicides | News Releases | NH Department of Justice

I noticed The Daily Beast quoted that DOJ news release (with gender qualifier) in their report, also...

“The charges and allegations against the juvenile are merely accusations, and he is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty,” a statement read.

I’m not trying to play armchair psychiatrist and we know nothing about the young person alleged but just in general, I can’t wrap my head around how even a younger teen could use a gun in a violent act such as this against 1 person and not just be completely mind blown from the trauma of it. And we are talking about 3 victims.
I witnessed a car crash when I was 14 and the guy was injured but coherent and I knew the outcome looked good but that mentally rocked my world for some time. I’m currently following 2 cases that I don’t guess I’ll ever understand.
You understand that there are psychopaths of all ages, correct? Not all kids are nice kids. There are child psychopaths who kill without a second though and enjoy it and then go on their merry way.

You understand that there are psychopaths of all ages, correct? Not all kids are nice kids. There are child psychopaths who kill without a second though and enjoy it and then go on their merry way.

Sadly, this is true. I guess most of us view "innocence and childhood" as hand-in-hand... making it so very difficult to comprehend harm and death at the hands of a child. jmo

<modsnip>

This situation is beyond horrifying. I can’t even imagine how the husband/father must feel. They need to watch him carefully so that his grief doesn’t take him to the ground.

"A juvenile has been arrested and charged under the juvenile laws with three counts of first-degree murder and one count of falsifying physical evidence in connection with the homicides of Kassandra Sweeney, age 25, and her two sons Benjamin Sweeney, age 4, and Mason Sweeney, age 1, in Northfield on August 3, 2022," the release reads.
[snip]
Authorities explained that since the arrested suspect is a juvenile, "the law precludes any further information from being released," regarding the person's name, age and other identifying information at this time.
Juvenile Arrested in Connection with Murders of New Hampshire Mother and Her 2 Young Sons
Clearly LE won't release identifying information about the juvenile arrested. Does this mean the public won't receive any further information about these murders?

Clearly LE won't release identifying information about the juvenile arrested. Does this mean the public won't receive any further information about these murders?

The case linked below involving a "female" juvenile (but no firearm) was covered to some degree. As was the Tennessee case I linked in a previous post. (The juvenile's gender is even in the WS header - another reason I was confused)

Last edited:

This has me confused since the bad crimes I’ve heard of kids doing usually turn into them being treated as an adult. I guess we will know more if we get an age but they are usually pretty closed about those kids handled as actual minors.

Good question. I don't know the answer. Even when tried as juveniles, for serious offenses such as murder, we will probably hear more about the case when prosecution and trial get closer. Also probably depends on the age of the juvenile, whether mental health is an issue, whether their case is transferred to superior court or stays in juvenile court system, and the laws in NH specific to juvenile prosecution.

I found this info on the criteria in NH for transferring a juvenile court case to superior for more serious felony offenses.

New Hampshire
Lower Age:None specified
Upper Age:16

Discretionary WaiverNHS Tit. XII, Sec. 169-B:24
Sec. 628:1
The case of a child 15 or older charged with any felony, or that of a child of at least 13 charged with one of a list of specified felonies, may be transferred to superior court following a transfer hearing at which the child is entitled to the assistance of counsel. The juvenile court must consider a number of criteria in making the transfer determination, and any transfer order must be supported by "a written statement of findings and reasons." Following a transfer order, if the case is "accepted by the superior court," that court "may dispose of all criminal charges arising out of the incident which led to" the transfer.
If the petition for transfer to superior court is filed by a child of at least 16, the juvenile court may transfer the child without making the findings that would otherwise be required.

Offense CategoryMinimum AgeOffense Detail
Certain Felonies15Any felony.
Murder13First and second degree murder, manslaughter, attempted murder.
Person13First and second degree assault, kidnapping, aggravated felonious sexual assault, criminal restraint, class A felony robbery.

Presumptive WaiverNHS Tit. XII, Sec. 169-B:24(IV)
In cases that meet statutory age/offense/prior record criteria, the law creates a presumption that the factors that must be considered by the juvenile court in ruling on a transfer petition support a transfer to the superior court.

Offense CategoryMinimum AgeOffense Detail
Certain Felonies15Any felony committed by a child with at least 4 separate delinquency adjudications.
Murder15First and second degree murder, manslaughter, attempted murder.
Person15First degree assault; second degree assault (except when it consists merely of purposely or knowingly injuring a child under 13); kidnapping; aggravated felonious sexual assault; criminal restraint; class A felony robbery.
Drug15Manufacturing, selling, prescribing, administering, or transporting controlled drugs in specified quantities, or possessing them with intent to sell, dispense, or compound them.
New Hampshire's Transfer Laws

This has me confused since the bad crimes I’ve heard of kids doing usually turn into them being treated as an adult. I guess we will know more if we get an age but they are usually pretty closed about those kids handled as actual minors.
*Worm: I suspect the severity of the crimes may result in this minor being treated as adult by LE.

*Thanks @ticya for NH Transfer Laws info. You must have been reading my mind when I posted this.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back