Nine-year-old girl in critical condition as fabric softener linked to robe igniting

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Jun 30, 2012.

  1. wfgodot

    wfgodot Former Member

    Messages:
    30,162
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Nine-year-old girl in critical condition with 75 percent burns
    after setting light to herself wearing her favorite nightgown
    (Daily Mail)
    the rest of this harrowing tale at link above
     
  2. Loading...


  3. doubt

    doubt Former Member

    Messages:
    510
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    oh my gosh! that's all i can say to that one. just horrible.
     
  4. southernnana

    southernnana New Member

    Messages:
    753
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    :please: Prayers for the 9-yr old girl


    Oh how horrible ... that poor little girl!!

    The flannel type nightwear for children seems to all have the "flammable" notices attached to the nightwear. I try to buy all cotton or cotton knits for my 4 and 5-yr old grandchildren, but they are harder to find in the stores in the winter months, everybody sells flannel.

    :heartbeat:
     
  5. Herding Cats

    Herding Cats New Member

    Messages:
    7,966
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    (I'm just going to sneak in and say that recently, it's been talked about that fabric softener contributes to the dryer fires many folks have...and that just is terrible).

    Prayers for the little girl and for her family...prayers of healing, strength, and endurance for burns have got to be one of the most painful things that can ever occur.

    Best-
    Herding Cats
     
  6. LinasK

    LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

    Messages:
    24,159
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    0
    No flames please:truce:, but why hasn't anyone commented on the wisdom of letting a 9-year-old light a candle with a match unsupervised??? If it weren't for that, we wouldn't be discussed what fabric softener/how often if any, that her mother washed her favorite nightgown in!!!:banghead:
    That seems to be the big white elephant in the room. I wish the girl well.
     
  7. marycarney

    marycarney Inactive

    Messages:
    1,795
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    0
    AMEN - I wouldn't let a nine-year old have matches, lighters, candles, incense............
     
  8. jjenny

    jjenny Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    25,901
    Likes Received:
    500
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Candles are a potential fire hazard and should be treated as such.

    "A study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests that 85 percent of candle fires could be avoided if consumers followed three basic safety rules:

    Never leave a burning candle unattended.

    Never burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire.

    Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets."
    http://www.candles.org/safety_candles.html
     
  9. southernnana

    southernnana New Member

    Messages:
    753
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    :)


    Hi Linask, you are soooo right!!

    My focus was on the fabric, as I do consider it unsafe for children to sleep in ... and I completely overlooked the cause of the fire!! My grandchildren are allowed to use battery operated candles that I bought to help teach them the hazards of fires ... so, thank you for pointing out the unsupervised use of matches by a child.


    :please: Prayers for the little girl.
     
  10. LinasK

    LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

    Messages:
    24,159
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Not blaming you- that's what the focus of the article was, and while they may have a good point, they are sensationalist- the tabloid of the UK. However, the mother wasn't at fault for using fabric softener, she used extremely poor judgement in allowing her child unsupervised access to matches and candles. (We do use candles in our bathrooms, as it gets rid of BM odors more naturally-can't stand artificial air fresheners, but my DD has never been allowed to light matches on her own, has been trained when she was 10 and we blow the candles out right away.)
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice