NJ - Bertha Dyer, 68, Franklin Township, 30 Aug 2016

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by los2188, Sep 1, 2016.

1. los2188

los2188 North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

2. Loading...

3. Flatbush

Flatbush New Member

4. FindHG

FindHG WS Liason WS Liason

"68-year-old township woman, an elementary school principal in Newark, who has been missing since Tuesday".
    [...]
    Dyer was apparently last seen around 3 p.m. Aug. 30 at the Mt. Vernon Elementary School in Newark, where she is the principal.
    [...]
    white 2011 Toyota 4Runner
    [...]
    U79GXM."
    NJ plates

Missing Franklin woman is Newark school principal
    Suzanne Russell,
    3:23 pm, edt, 9 1, 16

Eyewitness News, ABC 7
    Updated 1 hr 38 mins ago

"The principal's sister, Sheri Dyer, and retired Newark police detective Michael Beasley say Bertha Dyer is always punctual and always shows up at the school early each morning.
    [...]
    She lives alone in a townhouse in Somerset.
    [...]
    She previously complained to her sister that she was busy getting ready for the new school year but did complain that she had a headache."

5. DexterMorgan

DexterMorgan New Member

Agree. The principal of a school is like a main doctor at the doctors office.

Jmo.

They are usually missed and reported missing fairly quickly. Jmo.

So it is definitely strange.

But I am glad that at least we know now and not years from now. So hopefully this gets solved quickly.

6. FindHG

Agreed. I hope so too. School starts next week for her kids.

7. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Active Member

I wonder if she made it home Tuesday after school.....are the clothes she was wearing Tuesday at home or are they missing?

8. FindHG

Last phone call 7 pm.

Sister alerted by colleagues found three rooms lit and her TV on car keys missing and car.

according to, and more details at, 10pm, now

Rick Holmes, News 12 NJ
    Sept 1 16, 8:34 pm

'Principal's Bertha Dyer's friend and retired LE is traveling to join the family to help them seek answer, while her sister hopes this isn't a hostage type situation.'

Phone going to voice mail

paraphrased

Rick Holmes, update, 10:27

NJNews12 live

Jim Dolan's ABC 7
    update @ 5:44 pm

9. FindHG

NJNews12 live

paraphrased

the 7 pm phone call was to a colleague

the lights on in the hallway bathroom, the guestroom and her bedroom/bathroom?

A patrolman who used to go past her school, now in retirement will help her family retrace her steps (11:41pm)

~

Franklin Township PD, Somerset
    9 hrs ago

"THE FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP POLICE DEPARTMENT IS SEEKING THE PUBLIC'S HELP IN LOCATING A MISSING PERSON:.."

10. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Well-Known Member

11. FindHG

Breanna Edwards, The Root,
    September 2, 2016

“There are no obvious signs of foul play,” Franklin police Sgt. Philip Rizzo added. “Our detectives are using all the tools at their disposal in an effort to locate Ms. Dyer.”

12. AnotherNancyDrew

AnotherNancyDrew Member

From what I have read Sheri Dyer and Edna Randolph are both her sisters. I'm not sure why someone pointed out that it was strange she wasn't reported by Edna Randolph. Is there information about Edna that was not in the links provided? Sheri has mentioned that she hopes this isn't a hostage situation. Is this area of NJ dangerous? Have people been taken hostage from their homes there before? Hopefully the ATM records or CC use will help to determine if she is traveling alone or if someone else is with her.

13. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

I don't know about Franklin twp, but Newark, where she works, is one of the worst cities in NJ.

14. FindHG

That was me, AND. It was before much else was known and I had the impression ER lived with her, as opposed to family. That was clarified and I removed it from my post, but Dexie was too fast for me.

15. FindHG

The specific alley Principal Dyer parked her car was said to have been the site of a triple murder, it was mentioned in one of the MSM upthread. Her sister recalled that she'd always cautioned Principal Dyer about parking there.

It's interesting that her bathroom lights were said to be left on. The valuables in a bathroom are usually prescription meds, possibly, if this if foul play.

She was also said to suffer from headaches, by her sister, who must be frantic and tired. She's been great about updating MSM. Hopefully they'll know more soon.

16. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

I haven't had the chance yet to read too many articles yet, but the story is getting attention in the media here which is good. Scary stuff about the homicides but not surprising unfortunately. Most areas of Newark are no stranger to car theft, guns, violence, and murder. I have a wedding in Newark this weekend and will be thinking about principal dyer and hoping she is located ASAP.

17. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

Her car is missing?

So either she suddenly left her home, for some unknown reason---OR someone took her and the car?

I doubt she would open her door at night to a stranger. This is so strange that there is no signs of a break in and yet she seemed to just drive away...:candle:

18. Gardener1850

I'm wondering if she went to the store or out to run another errand after 7 PM and ran into trouble while out. Maybe her car broke down or some fowl play happened while she was out and it just hasn't been found yet. Unfortunately, I can't think of too many good scenarios for why she could be missing this long. I hope they find her soon!

19. FindHG

Yes, agreed katydid23. Great to see you again.

... and left her TV on? If she was going out to get something herself, why would she leave it on? Could that potentially have been meant as a distraction if whomever wanted to buy time or being in a rush on her part?

Her last known phone conversation was with a colleague, there were no texts, and calls to her cell go to voicemail.

20. Gardener1850

I don't know if she had a DVR but I have left my TV on before when I went out briefly but wanted to finish watching something without recording it (due to limited space). I can "pause" live tv, run to the store and then finish watching my show when I get back. Pausing for about 20 minutes allows me to then fast forward through all the commercials. After about 90 minutes to 2 hours though the pause kicks out and the program starts to play again. If I'm gone for more than 90 minutes I come home to the TV on. Of course I have also just been absent minded enough to forget I left the TV on. I wouldn't read any foul play into that unless the TV was abnormally loud or set to a show she would never watch or something.

21. FindHG

Thank you Gardener, that makes lots of sense. It would be interesting to know if her family/friends/neighbors knew more about her normal habits with that kind of thing.