GUILTY NJ - Brendan Creato, 3, found dead in Cooper River Park, 13 Oct 2015

This is so sad. I just read the updated articles and cannot imagine any scenario in which I would allow my 3 year old to sleep on the couch while I slept in my bed in another room. We are talking about a 3 year old, the amount of dangerous things a child could get into if left totally unsupervised is scary. I know dad is young, and no parent is perfect but this is a little concerning for me. Yes dads lawyer said he's not a suspect, but they also said they have no suspects at this point. I'm not putting much stock into what his lawyer says. I also wonder why the grandparents hired a defense attorney.

http://6abc.com/news/officials-no-forced-entry-evidence-at-brendan-creato-home/1044294/
Gma comes over pretty quickly - she's there shortly after 6 am. So that's why I assume dad is up around 530. He makes a quick look around - then calls gma, let's say around 545. In the 911 call, gma is looking in something - but wouldn't you think dad had time to look in every spot in the tiny apt before gma came over?

Why did dad call gma first? Dad wakes up - doesn't see Brendan - so I assume Dad starts scurrying around his tiny apt, maybe peering into the hallway, running down the stairs, opening the outside door - doesn't see his child and then calls gma?? Not 911? That is really really odd.

RSBM

Grandma lived pretty close, right? Like a block away? DJ probably called to see if Brendan had wandered over there. When they found that he didn't, Grandma probably bolted over to DJ's apartment. And I can picture her running in, checking everywhere, double-checking...in a panic, you know? I don't find anything off about this behavior. And it makes sense that he called her first, given the proximity, then called 911 once he knew Brendan wasn't there.

I also wonder why the grandparents hired a defense attorney.

Like the lawyer said yesterday, in any situation where you have something this complicated and involved, it is smart and good advice to have a lawyer.

"The boy's father, D.J. Creato, obtained Philadelphia lawyer Richard Fuschino Jr. to represent him just hours after Brendan went missing.

"I became engaged with this case on the day of the boys disappearance, DJ's friend advised him, and I agree it's a smart move when you have something like this because it's a complicated process," Fuschino Jr. told NBC10.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...y-Haddon-Heights-335219481.html#ixzz3pJ9QyAMo

Creato's parents, Lisa and David Creato, also have retained legal counsel to assist them during the investigative process, Philadelphia attorney William J. Brennan said.

"My clients are devastated," Brennan said in an interview. "They're in the process of attempting to bury their grandchild, and they are cooperating with law enforcement. We hope to have some answers as to how this tragedy occurred."

In the past, Brennan has defended clients in high-profile cases, including two priests accused in a child sex-abuse scandal that rocked the Archdiocese of Philadelphia in 2011. Fuschino worked with Brennan on the defense teams of the Rev. James J. Brennan (to whom William Brennan is not related), and the Rev. Andrew McCormick.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/n...nt_is_not_a_suspect_.html#RIRGfwIMHwPW3GMC.99

Like the lawyer said yesterday, in any situation where you have something this complicated and involved, it is smart and good advice to have a lawyer.

Yea obviously the father should have one but what I'm wondering is what could be so complicated and involved with the grandparents that they felt the need to hire one as well. At first they were all against hiring lawyers which has been stated in previous articles and now the grandparents lawyered up as well. What has changed since then? It is my personal opinion that the grandmother has been questioned multiple times about the timeline and about her son and feels uncomfortable answering any more questions, which I can understand.

I would think gma would've said, during the 545ish call from DJ, "what do you mean the door is unlocked! He's not here! Call 911!" Yet DJ doesn't call 911 until a little after 6, which is maybe 20 minutes after gma says the boy isn't with her.

Child is delivered to dad at a pretty late hour. Child sleeps on couch in living room. Dad doesn't immediately call 911 when he finds his toddler gone in the dark of early morning and gma says he's not with her.

In the very least, I'm not seeing any father of the year awards for DJ.

Does anyone know where Brendan was supposed to be that day? Delivered back to mom? Daycare? Back to gma's? Accompanying dad at the window shop?

good question cattlekate. and one that's been bothering me.

grandma has Brendan presumably all day (or say just for dinner that night). it's 9:30, a toddler is at least tired if not already sleeping or cranky. did he want to go to dad's (as in, whining for him) or did grandma want to relax and just have him sleep there so she could get some rest as well. either way, it's odd (IMO) to drive or walk a toddler, who's probably ready to collapse, over to dad's only to have him sleep on the couch AND get up at the crack of dawn because dad had to go to work.

IMO it doesn't make any sense. it was a Monday, was the child with the grandparents the entire weekend and it was time to sleep at dad's? was this shuffle a regular occurrence? what was the custody set up, was the child with the mom all day and then sleeps at dad's, with grandma doing the exchange?

or was this a one-time occasion?

not a peep from anyone in the case. mom's side had 20k raised for them, dad's side a few hundred bucks. mom's side haven't retained counsel (that we are aware of) and dad's side already have separate attorneys as representation. which is prudent considering they were the last to see the child alive (that we are aware of).

but something's not being said out loud...IMO...burying a child before cause of death can be determined? what did they put on the certificate? "unknown"?

MOO I am guessing dad is likely involved only because I've been on this site long enough.

However, I don't necessarily find his or his mom's behavior odd by itself though. My mom wouldn't tell me to call 911, she'd assume the child was somewhere in the house, hiding or asleep in a closet or toy box. The downstairs neighbor has said his/her dogs didn't bark all night and if someone came in or out of the building, they would have. It makes me wonder if he came home at ten pm. I don't know.

I would think gma would've said, during the 545ish call from DJ, "what do you mean the door is unlocked! He's not here! Call 911!" Yet DJ doesn't call 911 until a little after 6, which is maybe 20 minutes after gma says the boy isn't with her.

Child is delivered to dad at a pretty late hour. Child sleeps on couch in living room. Dad doesn't immediately call 911 when he finds his toddler gone in the dark of early morning and gma says he's not with her.

In the very least, I'm not seeing any father of the year awards for DJ.
Well I don't know this family & Don't know who is responsible for the child's death but I disagree with your statement. My son was once lost at a town fair and I panicked, and was confused as what to do. I don't think 9pm is late to drop off a child to his parent/s nor do I find it irresponsible for them to sleep on the couch. Whether or not the father is involved or responsible, I don't think the things you point out make someone a bad parent.

I recall early on in the investigation that LE would not let DJ talk to his parents.

LE knows the approximate time of death. If DJ was kept from talking to his parents right after Brendan was found, and if the parents now have their own lawyer, I have to wonder if LE suspects something happened while gma was babysitting until 10 pm, or if gma knew the child was dead when she helped DJ "look" for Brendan and he called 911.

Since no cause of death can be identified, and the boy was placed in a near by park and not callously thrown in the river, could this be a case of giving a toddler too much benedryl or the child getting into a drug, and then panicking and one family member trying to protect the other?

LE knows the approximate time of death. If DJ was kept from talking to his parents right after Brendan was found, and if the parents now have their own lawyer, I have to wonder if LE suspects something happened while gma was babysitting until 10 pm, or if gma knew the child was dead when she helped DJ "look" for Brendan and he called 911.

Since no cause of death can be identified, and the boy was placed in a near by park and not callously thrown in the river, could this be a case of giving a toddler too much benedryl or the child getting into a drug, and then panicking and one family member trying to protect the other?

bbm

These are exactly my thoughts too. If an autopsy could not find any cause of death, it means he did not die from abuse (beating) or neglect, he didn't suffer a fall or other kind of accident, didn't die from a weapon, from strangulation or asphyxiation, etc. Nothing was seen on or inside the body. It was said that toxicology and other sample testing is being conducted and this is most likely what will show the cause of death, because it's the only thing that's left. (Assuming that the person conducting the autopsy did not overlook anything obvious.)

If he did indeed ingest something toxic it must have been early enough to be fully digested otherwise stomach contents would have shown it (pills, for example).

A very sad case. Such a wonderful little boy!

bbm

These are exactly my thoughts too. If an autopsy could not find any cause of death, it means he did not die from abuse (beating) or neglect, he didn't suffer a fall or other kind of accident, didn't die from a weapon, from strangulation or asphyxiation, etc. Nothing was seen on or inside the body.

A very sad case. Such a wonderful little boy!

Yes. If the poor child just HAPPENED to unlock and travel through the two doors and two floors to the street, and encounter a monster, you'd think there would be physical signs. There are none. You'd think he would not have been placed in a park, but thrown in a less conspicuous area. He wasn't.

LE knows the time of death. LE knows stomach contents from dinner gma gave him. LE knows DJ's timeline before gma dropped him off and what DJ may have been doing.

Yes. If the poor child just HAPPENED to unlock and travel through the two doors and two floors to the street, and encounter a monster, you'd think there would be physical signs. There are none. You'd think he would not have been placed in a park, but thrown in a less conspicuous area. He wasn't.

LE knows the time of death. LE knows stomach contents from dinner gma gave him. LE knows DJ's timeline before gma dropped him off and what DJ may have been doing.

With what we have so far, the 3 yr old wakes up, goes out to the street, in pitch darkness, and walks to the park , unnoticed, and lays down and dies.

No more news yet. :(

So many babies disappear under their parent's or step parent's watch and then ... Nothing.

Such a weird case! No tox results back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle