NJ - " I am the Watcher..." -- A Hoax ?

Strange they avoided the police off the bat. Particularly strange that none of the 3 letters the buyers received would contain the DNA or fingerprints of either the husband or wife who would have opened the envelopes and handled the letters while reading them.
Where does it say there was no DNA from the husband or fingerprints from him or his wife?

Yup. From the lawsuit document, the date the sellers supposedly received the letter: "on or about the week of May 26, 2014". Did the buyers themselves send the letter, thus giving them (1) proof the sellers received it, and (2) reason for why there is a week-long timeframe for the sellers' supposed receiving of the letter, while the buyers gave specific days for the letters THEY received?
For the first two letters received by the buyers, the lawsuit reads "on or about" the date in question -- the first received "on or about June 5, 2014," the second "dated on or about June 18, 2014." The third is the only date specifically pinpointed.

I'm having a hard time trying to understand what has gone on for the past year. I get the impression that there were 3 letters sent soon after they closed on the house. Where have they been living this past year? Why only now is all this coming to the surface? If the letters were sent soon after the purchased, why did they go ahead and renovate? Can one if my fellow sleuthers help me out with this?

And with real estate, isn't there a 72 hour back-out clause after closing? Or am I living back in the 1970's, something I misunderstood as a kid? The buyer received the first letter sometime close around there right?

I think that's the million dollar question. How DO the new homeowners know the precious owners received a letter from the watcher on May 26th, 2014?

Even if I (seller) did receive one actual letter when I was already half moved out, after living there 24 years, I would have thought little of it and tossed it. I am not even sure I would mention it to my spouse, with all the moving and kids and chaos.

I have never heard of a 72 hour clause in real estate and I've bought about 10 different properties over the years. Many times, if you back out, you might not even get your earnest money back.

Funny thing is, if this house has been watched for all these years, nothing "bad" has ever happened there that has been made public. No murders, no kidnappings, no house of horrors. Maybe having "The Watcher" isn't such a bad thing!

Hi Veritas5- just a small correction, there's no such thing as a CSX commuter train line in NJ. CSX is freight and transportation only here.
There is a stop (sometimes! depending on the time of day and what work is being done) on the PATH in South Kearny between Jersey City and Harrison but only to drop off and pick up railyard workers. The closest station to Kearny is in Harrison.
I do agree however with your larger point that a dedicated hoaxer or stalker wouldn't find Kearny too far out of the way to travel to for the purpose of dropping a letter in a mailbox.

(Here's a video someone shot of the the view of the South Kearny Yard so you can see what it looks like from the PATH train if anyone is interested: [video=youtube;IVmt0Wr_IgY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVmt0Wr_IgY[/video] )

I did a free property history search last night on the address. The house was built in 1905. The first sale was in december 1990 to the previous owners. There's NO douments of anything bad about the property. As a matter of fact, the previous owners lived there from 1990-2014. That's 24 years, a little over 2 decades. Which the current family just so happens to mention. By the way, everything that the current family is saying about the previous owners kowing about the letter is their own oppinion. It's not a fact. If the previous owners were constantly being harrassed, I'm sure they would have filed a report and wouldn't have stayed there for 24 years. The current owners want to sue the previous owners for the entire purchase price of the house plus interest. That's a little shady. I think this is just an elaborate hoax to scam money from the previous owners. If they were really being harassed why wouldn't they spend more time ivestigating who "the watcher" is instead of trying to sue someone because they (the new owners) want to make false accusations. Also, why would someone wait a year to do file a report like this??? I think they got in over their heads and can't afford the home. That's no reason to lie and ruin someone elses life. If the previous owners are found not guilty, I hope they countersue.

Guilt is for a criminal trial. Here, there would be a judgment for plaintiff or defendant, if the suit ever goes anywhere. IMHO, the defendants have nothing to worry about.

So the buyer only received 3 letters over a one year period and they are de-railing their whole life?! I would have never given it a second thought. Unless I was looking for some reason to get out of a contract for an expensive house I really couldn't afford.

For the moment, the confirmation that the previous owners also received the letters, comes from an insurance company, and the " watcher ", him, or herself.
Beginning to wonder if a female might be involved somehow, or maybe someone who does not want kids to move in? imo.

"Chicago Title Insurance Company and even 'The Watcher,' the frightened family say in court filings that the previous owners received a letter from The Watcher just days before the closing."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...me-sent-town-12-miles-away.html#ixzz3eblexJ8D
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Good point!

"The Watcher" may be a female!

I keep envisioning it to be a male!

:thumb:

My feeling is that the writer is male. Dunno why, exactly. If I had to choose one element which led me in that direction, it would be that the writer speaks more to "watching" and "waiting". And the tone is creepy, yet reserved.

I feel that a woman would have inserted more personalized emotion into the letters.

Yes, I know that historic recap is sort or personal, but IMO, in a detached, almost "recording historian" way. And I just think it's a man for reasons I cannot explain.

I am not sure what to think regarding the Broadus family at this point. I still lean towards this being a creeper, but who knows?

I am home sick with bronchitis and laryngitis so I have more time to devote to obsessing about this......i will probably crack this case WIDE open, lol.

I am sorry you are sick... :hug:

But ... I DO hope you crack this case wide open!

:D

*Kearny* not Newark as reported before? That's interesting. So there goes the whole commuter in Insurance Field with a grudge theory. Kearny is small and very industrial, and not in a quaint way. It's just over the river from Newark but pretty isolated from public transit hubs, although one edge isn't too far fro the Harrison PATH station. It'd be a little more complicated and out of the way to send letters from there since it's not a stop on the usual NJ/NYC commuter routes.

edited to add: in addition to having been an industrial hub, it's a very middle/working class, primarily white community with a lot of families who've lived there for a very long time, stuck smack dab in-between two large cities with a far different population in terms of community diversity. It's urban but small town, if that makes sense. In a way now that the letters are linked to Kearny, I'm personally more open to the idea it could be a much older person who has some psychological issues and who has been fixated on the house for a number of years (even though I don't think they sent any letters other than the one mentioned in the lawsuit to the previous owners).
But who knows!

Right now I am visualizing a family who has a granny living with them...

And... Unbeknownst to the family...

Sweet, old granny is secretly sending creepy letters to a family in a neighboring town....

I wonder if the letters smell of arthritis cream... Or ... talcum powder?

:giggle:

Hers a thought!

Maybe one of the owners' kids is a mental genius...

and does not want to move into that house...

Sooooo ... He/she is sending creepy letters to his/her own family to thwart the move?

:baby:

J/K

Okay, so if a former resident lived there for 25 years and grew up there, and has very pleasant memories, a couple things come to mind.

1) If there had been a previous "Watcher", they never interacted with the previous residents, who had children in the house.

2) Nothing scary, horrible, or nefarious happened to anyone in the house in its' near recent history, from 1963 until present. That is over 50 years of first person recollection of the history of the home. The former resident mentioned in the article has nothing to gain from lying about the time she spent in the house.

3) The "Watcher" is new to this situation and is somehow attached or related to the current owners.

Does anyone know what renovations were done to the house by the new owners? Were they extensive, did they involve opening any of the walls?

I would think if you have the resources to purchase a $1.3 million dollar home, you would have the resources to put in a state of the art security system, with video monitoring. Something about this just does not sit right with me!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back