NJ NJ - James Zapolski, 15, Princeton, 23 July, 1966

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

James B. Zapolski
Mercer County, New Jersey
15 year old white male

Height (inches)
Weight (pounds)

Brown Hair
Unknown Eye Color

Clothing and accessories:
Last seen wearing shorts and a shirt (no further description at this time)
Last seen wearing sneakers (no further description at this time)

Circumstances: James Zapolski was last seen on July 23, 1966.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/28797/

He seems to have been generally known as Jamie. An article in Town Topics, a Princeton newspaper, from 1969 refers to him as Jamie and reports on the founding of a Princeton High School scholarship in his memory and says,
"He vanished from his home in 1966 and no trace of his trail has ever been found".

There is a family tree on Ancestry which includes him, but gives no details on him apart from his name which is listed as Jamie. His father (Bronislaw) died in 2003 and his mother (Gledhill) died in 2002. The only interesting point from this tree is that it lists him as married - but with no spouse details. Whether this is because the tree owner knows something or just included a non-specific spouse for future research, I do not know. If the latter it means nothing. If a spouse was included for reason it is obviously very relevant. Jamie did have two siblings according to the tree, who may still be alive.

A further article in Town Topics from 1967 at https://ia800208.us.archive.org/6/items/towntopicsprince2222unse/towntopicsprince2222unse.pdf gives some more detail on his disappearance. Apparently he went out on his cycle and failed to return. His cycle was found in or near the Delaware and Raritan canal near Griggstown. The water was searched by scuba divers but he was not found.

Orlando Sentinel
Orlando, Florida
Sunday, September 18, 1966
Page 4

OCR

You've Proved Your Point, Jamie, Come Home: Sunday, Sept. 18, 1966 TRENTON, N.J. (UPI) Jamie Zapolski had mapped out a rigorous schedule to get himself in shape: "200 push-ups, 250 sit - ups, 200 toe-touches, 50 knee-bends" starting every morning at 5:30. The 15-year-old Princeton High School student even walked five miles barefoot "to toughen the feet." HIS PARENTS didn't really believe he was serious about setting out on his new 15-speed gold and white bicycle for F 1 o r Ida. Jamie's been gone since July 23, now and a 13-state police alarm has failed to turn up any clues to the whereabouts of the six-foot, dark-haired youth. His mother, a staff writer for the Trenton Evening Times, was certain Jamie would return for the first day of his sophomore year at school. When he didn't she wrote an open letter to her son in the hope he would see it or someone would tell hi mabout it. "What could have happened to you? We are trying to believe the bike broke down and you're too stubborn not to make it back absolutely on your own," Mrs. Bronis-law Z a p o 1 s ki, Rocky Hill, wrote Friday in the Evening Times, where she uses the professional name, Gledhill Cameron. "... WE CERTAINLY wished we'd listened when you said: "I know you don't think I can do it, but can I show you my route on this map?' 'Don't be ridiculous' is all we said. "We certainly wish we had looked because all we can remember is what you m e n t i o ned about Washington, D.C., how it would be 'tough' to get there early on a Sunday morning so . you could bike around without much traffic and how it would be great to pedal through Virginia and North Carolina. "We think you said you might try to put your bike on a baggage car line In Wilmington, N.C., and take the train to Jacksonville. Then of course it would be great sailing right down through St. Augustine, Daytona, maybe you could see action at Canaveral, Palm Beach, Lauderdale and Miami. Why didn't "BUT FOR pete's sake, Jamie, it's 1,000 miles from Princeton to Jacksonville. How could we take you seriously? "I guess we Just didn't realize what you could do. Of course we were proud of you when you grew so tall and strong suddenly. And when you got yourself all those jobs weeding, picking string beans, painting, moving furniture and earned so much money in one week that you could buy this expensive bike.'

Pics from Charley Project:
zapolski_james.jpg
zapolski_james2.jpg

Details of Disappearance
James was last seen in Princeton, New Jersey on July 23, 1966. He lived in the 10 block of Washington Street at the time of his disappearance, and was going to enter his sophomore year at Princeton High School. He left home on his bicycle that day and has never been heard from again.

The day after his disappearance, his bicycle was found in the Delaware-Raritan Canal in Griggstown, New Jersey, five miles from James's home. It wasn't immediately identified, however, in part because the distinctive Tour de France decal James had put on it had been removed. The boy who found the bike kept it until September, when he read about James's disappearance in the newspaper and notified police.

James had cherished his bicycle, a gold and white French-made model which he bought just eight days earlier with money he earned doing odd jobs. He is described as an independent, self-reliant teenager who was a good student and dreamed of a career in the law. He wanted to ride his bike all the way to Florida and had embarked on a rigorous exercise daily regimen, twenty miles of riding a day, to get in shape.

When James went missing, his family initially thought he had taken off to ride to Florida. But once they learned about his bicycle being found, they concluded he had met with foul play. His disappearance remains unsolved; there has been no indication of his whereabouts since 1966.

Text from the above article

Topics Of The Town

—Continued from Paxe 16
MYSTERY CONTINUES ..

■ Zapolski Boy Still Missing.

.One sunny Saturday afternoon

j just about a year ago. 15-
year-old Jamie Zapolski 1

I started out on his bicycle from
Princeton to his home in Rocky
Hill.

The route between the two
towns winds a bit and is some- \
what narrow at times, but it
should have been a breeze for
an experienced cyclist like
Jamie with his brand new, 15-
speed Tour de France Dyna-
max bike. But Jamie never
made it home, and his disap-
pearance, once thought by
police to be just another ease
of a runaway boy, is still un-
der investigation.

Jamie's parents, Mr. and
Mrs, Bronislaw Zapolski, 18
Washington Street, Rocky Hill,
feel he was the victim of foul
play, but they still want to
find out what happened to him.
"We think somebody knows
what happened to him and is
walking around gloating to
himself," says Mrs. Zapolski.
She adds: "We no longer have
any hope that Jamie is alive."

When Jam ie first disap-
peared last July, there was
more hope and, in fact, spec-
ulation that Jamie had taken
off on a bicycle trip to Flor-
ida, something he had often
talked of doing. Mr. and Mrs.
Zapolski notified Princeton
and state police, who sent out
a missing persons alarm.

Bicycle Fouod. Police con-
tinued the investigation for
weeks on the premise that
Jamie was probably in Flor-
ida, but the very day the alarm
went out a boy swimming in
the Delaware and Raritan
Canal near Griggstown found
Jamie's bike. He reported it
to Franklin Township police,
who did not connect the bi-
cycle with Jamie's disap-
pearance.

The boy who found the bi-
cycle returned to his home in
Connecticut. In September,
while visiting relatives in
Griggstown, he read about
Jamie in a newspaper and in-
formed the Franklin Township
police that the bike was the
same one.

At this point, the investiga-
tion took on added emphasis.
Scuba divers searched much

of the canal for Jamie's body,
but found nothing. Now police
knew that Jamie had not gone
to Florida, and the case be- !
came something more than
just a runaway boy.

The last known person to see
Jamie alive was Wesley Weiss-
enberger, 23, who was staying
at the home of relatives on Mt.
Lucas Road. Mr Weissenber-
ger told police Jamie stopped
to asic about a friend living
| nearby, and then rode on. At
this point, he was only a mile
from his home.

Overall supervision of the
case is currently in the hands
of Assistant Attorney General
Joseph A. Hoffman. "The in
vestigation is continuing even
after a year, "Mr Hoffman
said. "We still have some
leads."

Text from the above article

Topics Of The Town

—Continued from Paxe 16
MYSTERY CONTINUES ..

The last known person to see
Jamie alive was Wesley Weiss-
enberger, 23, who was staying
at the home of relatives on Mt.
Lucas Road. Mr Weissenber-
ger told police Jamie stopped
to asic about a friend living
| nearby, and then rode on. At
this point, he was only a mile
from his home."

I wonder if they looked into this man at all—I would be curious about how they knew each other, what friends they might have had in common, etc. This is local to me and I hope at some point the surviving family might finally get closure.

Bumping for Jamie...this month marks 54 years since he disappeared.

I was living there as a child when this happened. I was friends with Jamie's younger brother Todd. I've been over his house many times and knew Jamie. I remember this case very well. I remember Jamie's bicycle, it was gold and his pride and joy. The rumor floating around was that Jamie was sort of a problem teenager who has run away from home. The way things turned out this was the furthest thing from the truth. How the police couldn't figure out from the start that this was Foul Play and not a runaway I will never understand. Who goes to Florida on a bicycle, especially a fifty-year-old with only the clothes on his back? I remember when they found his bicycle weeks later everyone was shocked because then it was obvious he had not run away on his bike as everyone had been led to believe but had met with a violent end,

Last edited:
Did he have any enemies at school or in the neighborhood? Was someone jealous of this tall, good looking boy with the top of the line bike? How much of the canal did LE search?

I was living there as a child when this happened. I was friends with Jamie's younger brother Todd. I've been over his house many times and knew Jamie, would see him around but he wasn't like a normal older brother. He was different and kept to himself, always kind of brooding or even angry . The notion when he went missing was that he was sort of a problem teenager who has run away from home. I guess that's what the parents thought cuz he had said he would ride his bike to Florida and everybody just bought that even though it was obvious or should have been obvious that no one is going to take off for Florida on a bike with nothing but the clothes on his back. How the police couldn't figure out from the start that this was Foul Play and not a runaway I will never understand. I remember when they found his bicycle, everyone was shocked because then it was obvious he had not runaway on his bike like everyone had surmised. If I recall they dragged the canal extensively but by then it was weeks after he had disappeared so if his body was disposed of in the canal it would not have been at that location. I don't think his body was left in the canal. I think the bike was left there after he,was abducted and the killer buried the body somewhere else.

There were no enemies in the neighborhood or at school that anyone was aware of. Jamie was thought of as a troubled teenager, not like being a bad kid or delinquent or anything, just being different and having emotional issues. That's why everyone bought his parents' idea that he had run away, because that's what troubled teenagers do.

I wonder if they looked into this man at all—I would be curious about how they knew each other, what friends they might have had in common, etc. This is local to me and I hope at some point the surviving family might finally get closure.

I was living there as a child when this happened. I was friends with Jamie's younger brother Todd. I've been over his house many times and knew Jamie. I remember this case very well. Jamie was sort of a troubled teenager. He didn't act like a typical teenager but kept to himself and was kind of a brooding fellow. That's why everyone bought the parents' belief that he had run away although it's absurd to think anyone would ride a bike to Florida with only the clothes on their back. The way things turned out this was the furthest thing from the truth. How the police couldn't figure out from the start that this was Foul Play and not a runaway I will never understand. I remember when they found his bicycle, everyone was shocked because then it was obvious he had not run away on his bike as everyone had been led to believe but had met with a violent end,

I remember certain details of the case like them finding his bicycle weeks later and dragging the canal which was not too far from my house. I don't recall this person who he talked to, the last person known to have seen him alive. I'm also wondering how closely they cross-examineed this person. Probably not too well at first because the cops were foolishly believing Jamie had run away on his bike when it seems obvious now he was abducted and murdered. If they had pursued the abduction theory from the start I wonder if things might have turned out different.

He seems to have been generally known as Jamie. An article in Town Topics, a Princeton newspaper, from 1969 refers to him as Jamie and reports on the founding of a Princeton High School scholarship in his memory and says,
"He vanished from his home in 1966 and no trace of his trail has ever been found".

There is a family tree on Ancestry which includes him, but gives no details on him apart from his name which is listed as Jamie. His father (Bronislaw) died in 2003 and his mother (Gledhill) died in 2002. The only interesting point from this tree is that it lists him as married - but with no spouse details. Whether this is because the tree owner knows something or just included a non-specific spouse for future research, I do not know. If the latter it means nothing. If a spouse was included for reason it is obviously very relevant. Jamie did have two siblings according to the tree, who may still be alive.

A further article in Town Topics from 1967 at https://ia800208.us.archive.org/6/items/towntopicsprince2222unse/towntopicsprince2222unse.pdf gives some more detail on his disappearance. Apparently he went out on his cycle and failed to return. His cycle was found in or near the Delaware and Raritan canal near Griggstown. The water was searched by scuba divers but he was not found.

I lived in Rocky Hill at that time, about a quarter mile from Jamie's house. His younger brother was the same age as me and I was at their house many times. I remember Jamie as sort of a brooding, troubled teenager, not in a delinquent way but just kind of emotionally unsettled. That notion of him persisted in the neighborhood and even with his parents which is why they thought he'd run away. But obviously no one takes off on a bike to Florida with nothing but the clothes on his back. The cops wasted precious time looking at this case as a runaway instead of pursuing it as an abduction. They didn't think foul play until they realized weeks later that his bike had been found by a kid swimming in the canal the day after he disappeared.

Hard to believe that the police did not connect the report of a bicycle found 5 miles from Jamie's house with his disappearance, even though the report was made the day Jamie was reported missing. That is complete ineptness. The boy who said he found the bike in the Griggstown Raritan canal sounds credible. He found the bike and immediately notified police who evidently did nothing. Then the police seem to have at first ruled out foul play on the ridiculous premise that Jamie rode his bike to Florida with only the clothes on his back. He had told his parents he was going to ride his bike to Florida and they mentioned it to the cops who then seemed to run with it. But no one would take off on a bike to ride hundreds of miles without even a backpack! It's absurd.

Having lived there aa kid at the time this happened I do remember that's the story everybody seemed to be going with, that he was a troubled teenager who had run away on his bike. Maybe he did think about taking off somewhere, but it certainly wasn't to Florida without provisions and in any case we do know the bike was found five miles from his home in the canal after he was last seen just a mile from his home. He may have rode that far on his own volition but he would have never thrown his beloved bike in the canal . Someone else did that and whoever did do it knows what happened to Jamie. And if the cops had just done their job and connected his bike to his disappearance which was reported the day thr bike was reported found they could have immediately gone to the location and examined it as a crime scene which may turned up evidence and clues to whoever deposited the bike there.

Once the incompetent cops blew that opportunity, the trail had grown cold by the time they discovered that the bike had been found in that location.

I know that both his parents died never knowing what happened to him. His brother is still alive. What a horrible fate for all involved.

Last edited:
The motive of this case is baffling- unless it was an abduction. If it was jealousy- as a previous post suggested- it would presumably indicate a peer or someone relatively young was involved. So perhaps it lead to some sort of altercation and possibly his death, whether accidental or not. If that was the case, it seems unlikely he/they would have the capability to dispose of the body unless Jamie was led away to the woods like someplace out of sight or a peer had access to a car to drive him somewhere. Overall it makes sense he was abducted by car and the bike was thrown into the canal. He obviously didn't get too far from his home so was this person involved someone local or even someone he knew?

It is interesting that the distinguishing Tour de France decal on the bike was removed and yet, the bike itself was discovered immediately.
*Did the boy who found and kept the bike take it off?
*Whoever it was, why not just trash the bike somewhere where it could never be found?
*Would the abductor even consider removing the decal?
*If a local or peer was the culprit, would he remove the decal but yet, still be amateurish enough to not consider that everyone would still recognize it as James' bike? Unless the person was from out of town or did not know that the bike was unique.

Last edited:
The motive of this case is baffling- unless it was an abduction. If it was jealousy- as a previous post suggested- it would presumably indicate a peer or someone relatively young was involved. So perhaps it lead to some sort of altercation and possibly his death, whether accidental or not. If that was the case, it seems unlikely he/they would have the capability to dispose of the body unless Jamie was led away to the woods like someplace out of sight or a peer had access to a car to drive him somewhere. Overall it makes sense he was abducted by car and the bike was thrown into the canal. He obviously didn't get too far from his home so was this person involved someone local or even someone he knew?

It is interesting that the distinguishing Tour de France decal on the bike was removed and yet, the bike itself was discovered immediately.
*Did the boy who found and kept the bike take it off?
*Whoever it was, why not just trash the bike somewhere where it could never be found?
*Would the abductor even consider removing the decal?
*If a local or peer was the culprit, would he remove the decal but yet, still be amateurish enough to not consider that everyone would still recognize it as James' bike? Unless the person was from out of town or did not know that the bike was unique.

Good questions. Since I lived in Rocky Hill at that time as a child it's crazy to think that the killer might have been a local person. My suspicions lean somewhat towards the 23 year-old man who was the last person known to have seen Jamie alive, just a mile from his house. I have to wonder how well he was questioned or scrutinized by the police, since they clearly bungled the case from the start by somehow failing to connect the almost immediate reporting of the bike being found and then treating the case as a runaway after Jamie's parents mentioned his plan to ride the bike to Florida (even though it's preposterous to think anyone would attempt to ride a bike to Florida with just the clothes on their back).

It appears to me that these desperate parents were trying to figure out what could have happened and so they mention to the cops that Jamie had said he was going to ride his bike to Florida and the cops just seem to have dismissed all other possibilities including Foul Play and stupidly ran with the runaway angle from the get-go.

So I just wonder how well the 23-year old was questioned or scrutinized since the cops were presuming that the case was about a runaway. The 23 year old was from out of town visiting. Did he see a crime of opportunity and follow Jamie after the encounter and abduct him? The fact that it was still daylight when he disappeared makes you wonder how someone could have abducted him and taken his bike as well without being seen. That was a big racing bike which could not easily be placed inside a car. Jamie was a big kid, 6 feet, 150 pounds.

As far as a person disposing the bike where it couldn't be found, if it was thrown into the canal which is apparently where it was found (in shallow water) then that's pretty much what was attempted. Otherwise, what would you do with that bike to hide it? Kind of hard to bury it. If you're trying to ditch it quickly, throwing it into the canal was the best option I would say.

I remember seeing Jamie riding that bike. I also remember he was more or less considered a troubled teen, a loner. Everybody bought the idea that he had run away on that bike because of his reputation as being somewhat troubled. Or maybe it was just that he was different. I was friends with his younger brother and when over at their house Jamie was not very social and seemed like he was angry. I had other friends who had big brothers and they were more "normal" so to speak, they would engage with you even if it was to harass you. I don't remember Jamie as having friends in the neighborhood or being social. I'm wondering if in fact as you suggested he was being stalked by someone loval who knew that he was a loner and knew that he rode his bike often and felt there was an opportunity there. But if that was the case you would think he would have planned the disposal of the bike better than just tossing it in the canal. That leads back to the idea that it was a crime of opportunity.

The road where Jamie was last seen less than a mile from his house was what we used to call "the back road." It connected Rocky Hill to Princeton. It was like a country road. But there were houses on the road, it wasn't completely in the middle of nowhere but there would be opportunities even in daylight to grab someone without being seen. Perhaps someone followed him from Princeton down that road and waited for their opportunity. But in order to do that, how are you going to take a good-sized 15 year old teenager and his large racing bike and get all of that into a car, quickly? Leads you to believe that the abductor, if it happened that way, was driving a van.

Another possibility is that after having the encounter with the 23 year old on Mt. Lucas road, Jamie for some reason decided not to go the short distance of less than a mile to his house and instead decided to ride his bike the five miles to the area near the canal where his bike was found. Perhaps in that out of the way area he ran into someone or several people who committed foul play, maybe even kids his age or older.

There were some crazy, rough teenagers who lived around Rocky Hill during that time. I suppose it's conceivable that maybe they just happened upon him in this area and were jealous of this kid with this nice bike and roughed him up or tried to steal the bike and things got out of hand and they ended up killing him. But then you have to wonder as you said how a bunch of teenage hoodlums would have had the wherewithal to dispose of a body so completely.

If they had thrown his body into the canal without weighting it down you would think it would have floated to the surface and been found. If they weighted it down and threw it in where the bike was found you would think when the cops finally discovered that the bike had been found there and dragged the river, they would have found the body, even though it was weeks later.

And that's the real tragedy right there, how the cops somehow failed to connect the report of the bike being found (which was made a day after Jamie went missing) to Jamie's disappearance. At that point you would have had a fresh crime scene which may well have yielded evidence that could have led to the culprit, and who knows possibly even to Jamie if he may have still been alive.

The decal removal is puzzling as you pointed out. I thought that the kid who found the bike may have removed it thinking he was going to keep the bike, but then why would he report having found the bike immediately? Sure he kept if after that, which is also bizarre. Bad enough that the cops didn't connect the initial report of the bike with Jamie but why would cops tell a kid who reported finding a bike to just jeep it?

Whoever the culprit was, you have to wonder why they would take the decal off at all if you're going to throw the bike in the canal? As you said, it would be easy to identify it is Jamie's bike with or without the decal. The only reason I would think someone would remove the decal is the scenario of a group of teenage hoodlums coming up on Jamie and bullying him and trying to steal his bike and maybe tearing it off in front of him as part of their torment. Or again if it was a bunch of scared idiot hoods who just killed someone they might have ripped the decal off stupidly thinking it would prevent identification of the bike.

It really makes no sense of why anyone would rip off that decal unless it was just a gesture either of meanness or panic. But again, I cannot imagine this was teenage hoods who did it, even just one. I don't see how a teenage kid could have disposed of a body so completely. If it was several kids you have to wonder how they could keep it a secret for 50 years.

It would seem that it had to be an adult who committed the abduction. My guess would be it was done with a van, the bike was disposed of in the canal and Jamie's body was buried somewhere away from the canal.

Whatever happened it was and still is a horrible crime. Jamie's parents were wonderful people as was his brother. I just can't imagine the horror of those in his family never knowing what happened to him. His parents went to their graves not knowing.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back