Found Safe NJ - JM, 14, walked to deli, East Orange, 14 Oct 2021 *custodial mom arrested*

This could be my daughter. It could be your daughter, and so the things they’re saying about the situation is just not adding up,” says Lynn Smith, with the Office of Violence Prevention and Trauma Recovery in Newark. Authorities say that they have no suspects or persons of interest and that they do not think that Jashyah is the victim of foul play.
“Everything is still under investigation and that is really all we can speak about right now,” says Chief Phyllis Bindi.
No officials were seen Tuesday night while the community hit the streets to look for Jashyah.
Still, Jamie Moore says that she is thankful for all that the East Orange Police Department and FBI are doing to fight her daughter.
“Something happened to my daughter. Somebody might have my daughter. I love you Jashyah and if you see this, don’t be scared. Mommy is gonna find you,” Jamie says.

‘Mommy is gonna find you.’ Mother pleads for information finding lost teen

Let's see if i have the timeline correct

- JM walks to the Poppie's to buy orange juice and paper towels
- JM returns to the house and says she lost the EBT card
- Mother tells her to retrace her steps - JM leaves, this is the last time mother sees JM
- At U.S Food Market, clerks report that a man bought the groceries
- This is the last time anyone saw JM.

Questions I'm asking, in the most general sense:

- The family didn't know she had first visited Poppie? it was only when LE located surveillance footage. (source)

- The mother said that her iPhone was de-activated, which means that even if JM was to call it, it would go to voicemail and wouldn't ring, unless the mother put the SIM card in another phone to receive/make phone calls. (source)

- The man buying the groceries. I'm guessing JM wasn't able to find the EBT card. Is he a complete stranger, someone JM doesn't know at all? Huge speculation/opinion - but I find it seems extremely odd for someone to buy groceries like that. I could see a scenario if the man who knew the family (even very peripherally) and would be worried, thinking JM has to come back with groceries, and steps in to buy them, so that JM could go home. Again, I stress this is 100% speculative/opinion.

- If EBT benefits are similar to that in CA (I work at a CA public services agency), you swipe the card, and enter a four-digit PIN, and it will pay for any food items (if you look at your grocery store receipt, there should be two columns, for T and F). EBT card will cover food (F), but T is taxable and won't be.

- I'm pretty sure that paper towels are taxed and couldn't be paid for by EBT card, unless the family also had cash aid. Again, FL might have slightly different rules or implementation, so I can't say I know for sure.

The man has been cooperating fully per LE. I don’t think it’s odd someone would step in and cover the cost for a child - couldn’t have been that much money. But I imagine the man now sees that an adult male purchasing items for a young teenager as potentially dangerous for him. I’m glad he hasn’t been identified.

New Jersey girl missing for over 20 days after disappearing at local deli - CNN

O.K. from get go I was confused.

Had J lost the EBT card after she purchased the original items? Mom said retrace your steps. Or she came back with nada because she lost the card?

Asking because the gentleman at Poppie's paid? Like Sham said it isn't unheard of for someone to throw a few bucks down for a probably embarrassed kid.

What stands out to me is your local corner store knows you. Your Bodega knows you. They "probably " would let you go until you found the card or brought back money.

In places that still have a corner store sorry to say, but you can buy anything with that card. Yes, it is illegal. However people are always having a fit that they can't eat, but folks on food stamps are buying hoagie, ciggies, toilet paper.

How it goes down where this lovely girl comes from I don't know, but I pray they find her. That was kind of the man who helped. The less you have often is the more you give.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pray so hard that this sweet girl comes home safely.:( I hope LE has more information than they are sharing especially in terms of possible camera/ ring videos on her route activity to and from her home to those stores.

@MurphyPIX

Essex County prosecutors say #JaShyahMoore was first reported as possible runaway shortly before midnight on October 14th.

Acting Essex County Prosecutor Ted Stephens announced Wednesday his office will be taking lead of the investigation.

There's still little information about the mysterious case. When asked about surveillance video, Stephens told reporters Wednesday, "There is video, and we've captured all that we can and will continue to go through that."
Prosecutors taking over case of missing New Jersey 14-year-old J

Social Media Campaign Launched In Search For JM, 14-Year-Old Missing For Nearly A Month In East Orange, N.J.

O.K. from get go I was confused.

Had J lost the EBT card after she purchased the original items? Mom said retrace your steps. Or she came back with nada because she lost the card?

Asking because the gentleman at Poppie's paid? Like Sham said it isn't unheard of for someone to throw a few bucks down for a probably embarrassed kid.

What stands out to me is your local corner store knows you. Your Bodega knows you. They "probably " would let you go until you found the card or brought back money.

In places that still have a corner store sorry to say, but you can buy anything with that card. Yes, it is illegal. However people are always having a fit that they can't eat, but folks on food stamps are buying hoagie, ciggies, toilet paper.

How it goes down where this lovely girl comes from I don't know, but I pray they find her. That was kind of the man who helped. The less you have often is the more you give.

From how I understand it, JM went to Poppie's, came back, reported that she had misplaced the EBT card. Her mother said to retrace her steps. JM went to U.S Food (a different store), where the man stepped in to buy the groceries. They went their separate ways. Nobody has seen JM since.

You're right, it wouldn't have cost that much to cover orange juice and paper towels.

I guess the other question is: why did she go to a different place? Why was her family unaware of her going to Poppie's first?

The man has been cooperating fully per LE. I don’t think it’s odd someone would step in and cover the cost for a child - couldn’t have been that much money. But I imagine the man now sees that an adult male purchasing items for a young teenager as potentially dangerous for him. I’m glad he hasn’t been identified.

New Jersey girl missing for over 20 days after disappearing at local deli - CNN

Right, I'm not trying to say that he did anything wrong, just wondering how common it is, and whether that reveals something about the family dynamics. (Maybe it means nothing at all.)

Prosecutors in New Jersey's Essex County who newly took over the investigation into the disappearance of 14-year-old JM declined Wednesday to answer certain questions about her case but said, "Everything is on the table."

Acting Essex County Prosecutor Theodore Stephens III made the comment when asked whether investigators believed if the East Orange girl had been kidnapped or run away. JM, a high school freshman, vanished Oct. 14 after heading out to pick up some groceries from a local deli, officials have said.

More at Where Is J? NJ Prosecutors Share Few Details as Missing Girl's Mom Vows to Find Her or Die Trying

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Officials say JM was first reported as runaway; mom disputes it | PIX11

From the link:

... Mitchell McGuire, chief of investigations in the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office, told reporters there’s no evidence, so far, indicating the teenager was abducted.

“At no point in time did we have any evidence of any foul play,” McGuire said. “We do have evidence showing the young lady in the general area. We do have evidence of the young lady leaving the area. Nobody was following her at the time.”

McGuire said he was referring to surveillance footage from various cameras, although the surveillance has not been released to the media.

New Video Shows Missing New Jersey Teenager Jashyah Moore – (cbslocal.com)

A few notes:

The video timestamp shows JaShyah enter the store at 8:07 (the reporter says on the morning of Oct 14). The older man pays for the drinks and candy and they leave the store together.

The banner at the bottom of the screen shows the name of the employee who was interviewed, initials "BA," and below his name, "US Quick Food Mart Worker." He says JaShyah comes there every day.

After that store, J went to nearby Poppie's Deli. The manager is interviewed through an interpreter and says that JaShyah told him she had lost her EBT card. He told JaShyah she could come around 2 p.m. and they could check the camera for her but she never came.

Something is way off here IMO obviously.

JM had to originally been at Poppie's because she went back there looking for the card. So her mom told her to trace her steps.

The other store is her corner store. They know her and what she buys. Not implicating the man who paid. I know kids get their snacks in the morning. Every school day. Here's where something JMO is off. At 14 we got sent to the store sometimes before school. I'd lost money a few times and I got told I better go find it? I was sure searching. Our candy store was across the street from that store. No way was I going anywhere but looking for that $5 or $10 I lost.

Somewhere because she was distracted I think things went wrong. At 14 I'd talk to anybody and who knows? Sorry for the long theory. Truly I'm worried for this beautiful girl. Where could she be? She needs her Kit Kats! Prayers big time.

NOV 11, 2021
JM missing: Prayer vigil set to be held in East Orange, New Jersey on Friday - ABC7 New York (abc7ny.com)
[...]

Mayor Ted Green, East Orange City Council, East Orange Clergy Association, and the Cham Group are holding the prayer vigil on Friday, November 12 at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall Plaza.

[...]

Stephens said more than 50 members of law enforcement were in Orange and East Orange Wednesday retracing JM’s steps and following up on old and new leads.

Officials say video does show JM in the deli and a man paying for her items. He's been cleared.

She did make it home, but doubled back to the store, after realizing she lost her mother's credit card.

Essex County Prosecutor Ted Stephens confirms there is more footage, which he says is key to this case.

"We don't want to put anything out there right now that might compromise the investigation," Stephens said. "If someone is moving in one direction, we want them to continue to move unimpeded so hopefully we can find them."

[...]

JM had to originally been at Poppie's because she went back there looking for the card. So her mom told her to trace her steps.

The other store is her corner store. They know her and what she buys. Not implicating the man who paid. I know kids get their snacks in the morning. Every school day. Here's where something JMO is off. At 14 we got sent to the store sometimes before school. I'd lost money a few times and I got told I better go find it? I was sure searching. Our candy store was across the street from that store. No way was I going anywhere but looking for that $5 or $10 I lost.

Somewhere because she was distracted I think things went wrong. At 14 I'd talk to anybody and who knows? Sorry for the long theory. Truly I'm worried for this beautiful girl. Where could she be? She needs her Kit Kats! Prayers big time.
Here’s the thing: Really - when was she first reported missing!

is it possible mom was not expecting her back right then. Did she know Jashyah was going somewhere with someone?

I hope this paternity issue doesn’t take attention off a missing child. On or off the birth certificate, shared genetics or not, it’s good there’s another adult who cares about her.

Not sure how it works with EBT and debit cards, but with a credit card, the user just needs to promptly report it missing to avoid responsibility for those charges. I imagine it is similar - cards get lost/stolen all the time.

JMO.

PNot sure how it works with EBT and debit cards, but with a credit card, the user just needs to promptly report it missing to avoid responsibility for those charges. I imagine it is similar - cards get lost/stolen all the time.

JMO.

In CA, you just call a number to report it hot/lost/stolen and then you can request a replacement card at the welfare office. It's so routine that me and my co-workers can recognize the "regulars" who come in every week or month.

There's a lifetime limit of 99 replacement cards - and I have seen several cases where we've issued a notice/warning about excessive card replacements.

This is from my experience in one county social services agency in CA, so JMO/could be completely different in FL.

Here’s the thing: Really - when was she first reported missing?

is it possible mom was not expecting her back that morning?

Did Mom know JM was going somewhere with someone?

lets find out the actual report time and date. Hmmmm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieSnoop1975