NJ - Lindbergh baby kidnapping, East Amwell Township, 1 March 1932

I scrounged up a couple more links from two programs. The first from a 1980 ‘In Search of’ program. And another done by, I think, the BBC. There is a real good one done, by the BBC, around this period, but I haven’t found it. I think it’s titled, ‘Who killed the Lindberg Baby.' It had interviews with survivors from the period, including one living juror at the time, Ethel Stockton and was one of the few to raise the cashing of some 3 thousand dollars of Lindbergh gold certificates by a ‘J.J. Faulkner.’

Anyway, this first one, I think, represents the 70‘s contrarian movement of questioning the original and established findings. Anthony Scaduto’s ‘Scapegoat’ book timing was perfect, the ‘disillusionment’ of the 70‘s, where government lies and cynicism was at a high water mark. While attacked by much of the establishment, it helped spark the ‘Lindbergh Hoax’ movement that is with us to this day.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbeLVi3IuRI"]5-08 In Search Of... The Lindbergh Kidnapping (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW_WpKoqxts&NR=1&feature=endscreen"]5-08 In Search Of... The Lindbergh Kidnapping (Part 2 of 2) - YouTube[/ame]

This program is a little more balanced and has a few elements of that other BBC program I referenced. A bit more comprehensive too, and maybe more was learned when it was produced.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZmdQckydJk"]Mysteries and Myths 20th Century : Who Kidnapped Lindbergh's Son ? (1 de 2) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIMz4J0IaZo"]Mysteries and Myths 20th Century : Who Kidnapped Lindbergh's Son ? (2 de 2) - YouTube[/ame]

From the recent PBS program, with the retired FBI guy, I’m pretty much 90 to 95 % in his camp. He was pretty silent on the State’s prosecution methods and various liberties that were taken. In a circumstantial case, the State did everything it could to win over the jury, so this responsibility falls on Hauptmann’s defense, which was terrible. But, I’d like to jump to the money, one of the most mysterious parts of this case.

First, Hauptmann was caught in possession of roughly 15 thousand dollars of Lindbergh ransom money. Let’s stop there. To go off in a tangent, let’s examine this more closely. Using general CPI historical calculators, you’d come up with roughly say, a quarter million in today’s dollars. But, digging deeper, for all comparisons, that might not be representative enough. Rather, a figure of a million or more today is more accurate ! To see these comparisons, try this cite.

http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/

So...15 thousand of ANY kind of money, buried in someone’s home, would represent a HUGH amount of money. Remember, many life insurance policies well into the 60‘s paid ten thousand dollars. Today, if you had a million dollars in cash stashed in your home, that would be a little suspicious. But, the world of cash in the 30‘s was different than today. Amid contemporary bank failures and life before debt/cc cards, people did stash large sums of money in their homes or physically hide it. Even now, old homes/buildings are torn down and they find ‘horse blankets’ buried inside, paper currency before the 1928 small note issue. Still, Hauptmann was found with 15K of ‘hot money,' and you believe or disbelieve all the stories/explanations which followed.

Second, we know roughly five thousand dollars of Lindbergh ransom money was spent/turned in. Some bills continue to come in after Hauptmann’s arrest and even after his execution. It’s possible he could have spent the money when he was free and it gradually found its way back, to be retired as old bills. Also, the trail went cold on the nearly three thousand dollars in Lindbergh gold certificates turned in at the NY Fed. This all points to a possible co-conspirator(s).

Lastly, thirty thousand is still unaccounted for over eighty years later. It’s pretty certain by now, anyone directly involved with the crime has left this world. So, where did it go ? Presuming 'others’ got it, what did they do with it ? Once Hauptmann was arrested, they might have sat on it (stored somewhere safe) and when he was executed, they might have burned it, or kept it 'safe’ for years waiting for the event to 'cool down.’ It is possible some has been spent over the years but was snapped up by collectors, however, that is more likely in contemporary days than in the early years.

Changes were made to the public currency since the crime. In 1963, the government stopped exchanging currency for silver, issuing only Federal Reserve Notes, although Silver Certificates continue to circulate and were just fiat currency. In the 60‘s, the government lifted restrictions on public holding/use of former ‘gold certificates’ these too would spend as face value fiat currency and Mr. Nixon took us off the Gold Standard in 1971. In the early 90‘s security features were added, but it wasn’t until 1996 that the physical appearance dramatically changed, and all the bills prior to, 1928 onwards, looked different than these ‘new bills.’ Today, these bills of former stand out from the general currency. So, unknowingly or not, you have a Lindbergh ransom ten dollar bill buried in your currency with payment at Target, the clerk will see this odd bill, because it’s probably the style she’s rarely if ever seen, has orange numbers for the serial and treasury seal and no security features. Runs her pen through, it works (the paper contract for US currency has been around since the 1880‘s) and most likely will wind up at their bank where it will be taken out of circulation and the Feds will spot it on return. But, this hasn’t happened. So, the money was either destroyed at the time, or has been hidden for years, now probably forgotten about, until some building is torn down or something. Nobody has gotten the value from it, and today, it has far less value in ‘ordinary fiat currency’ commerce than it would in the 30‘s.

I remember the old 1979 HBO program Whodunit that covered the Lindbergh Case in about its first 15 minutes. The show also had segments on Lizzie Borden, the Hall-Mills Case, Jack the Ripper and Zodiac. Lindbergh was the only case they covered that was legally "solved". It was also the first time that I heard of that other NJ case; Hall-Mills. I also remember seeing the In Search Of episode.

I was not in love with the NOVA episode, fwiw. **Spoiler ALERT***

IIRC, the baby's murder was tied into Lindburgh's believe in Eugenics, correct?

I was not in love with the NOVA episode, fwiw. **Spoiler ALERT***

IIRC, the baby's murder was tied into Lindburgh's believe in Eugenics, correct?

That’s a very small part of it. One guy’s book theory. The FBI guy here doesn’t buy into it and I too find it very unlikely. If he wanted, Lindbergh could have had the child institutionalized. Why go this charade of hiring thugs to kidnap your child. Further, with other 'insiders’ I think those like Violet Sharpe might have inadvertently given info out that Lindbergh didn’t want others to know. But I don’t see this as the end to look for conspiracy.

Did not know that the family has removed ALL evidence from the Police Museum and that Charles had 3 mistresses that he fathered at least 5 children with them.

http://www.lindberghkidnappinghoax.com/brace.html#Forensic Items Removed From the West Trenton Archive -

Yes, and those were not the worst of Lindbergh's sins. He was a thoroughly despicable human being and a Nazi sympathizer. Sorry, that was redundant.

I would absolutely love to buy into the theory that he was somehow involved in the kidnapping, however, I think that was one sin he was not guilty of.

I remember doing a research paper on this kidnapping in high school. After reading tons of information, I ended up thinking that Hauptman had been framed. If I remember correctly, and this may have, by now, been disproved, Mrs. Lindburgh's mentally ill sisterl lived with them. (Thank Andrea Yates.) Baby Charles had been "saved" from her at least once before. So I wonder if she killed the baby and the family staged a kidnapping.

This is a case I've been interested in for decades, literally. I've read all the books, seen all the documentaries and TV movies, etc.

What do I believe? I have four points I'm convinced of.

1. Hauptmann's explanation about the source of the money - he was holding it for another German friend, isn't believable.

2. Under great pressure, the authorities made some of the evidence fit better to ensure a conviction. Even Gov. Hoffman was bothered by the dressing up of some of the evidence, like the elderly "eyewitness" Amos Hochmuth, who allegedly saw Hauptmann driving around the area, but who couldn't see anything, even with glasses on.

3. Others were involved besides Hauptmann. Voices were heard in the background on at least one of the ransom calls, and lookouts were seen at some of the cemetery meetings.

4. And most importantly, someone in the household had to leak info about the Lindberghs whereabouts. They didn't decided to spend the night at that house until late afternoon. Only the household knew. Household employee Violet Sharpe's suicide a few months after the crime may indicate consciousness of guilt.

This is a case I've been interested in for decades, literally. I've read all the books, seen all the documentaries and TV movies, etc.

What do I believe? I have four points I'm convinced of.

1. Hauptmann's explanation about the source of the money - he was holding it for another German friend, isn't believable.

2. Under great pressure, the authorities made some of the evidence fit better to ensure a conviction. Even Gov. Hoffman was bothered by the dressing up of some of the evidence, like the elderly "eyewitness" Amos Hochmuth, who allegedly saw Hauptmann driving around the area, but who couldn't see anything, even with glasses on.

3. Others were involved besides Hauptmann. Voices were heard in the background on at least one of the ransom calls, and lookouts were seen at some of the cemetery meetings.

4. And most importantly, someone in the household had to leak info about the Lindberghs whereabouts. They didn't decided to spend the night at that house until late afternoon. Only the household knew. Household employee Violet Sharpe's suicide a few months after the crime may indicate consciousness of guilt.

I too have studied it for years. I do believe Hauptmann was guilty. The evidence is overwhelming. His quitting his job, investing, buying furniture etc. at the height of the depression and jobless, etc. Then there is the wood and the Ransom money. As for accomplices, quite likely. Violet Sharpe, quite possible, particulalry because Lindbergh was not supposed to have been home that night. However, I could see how getting the news that his plans had changed and he would, in fact, be home, would have been difficult to relay to the kidnappers. No cell phones, internet etc. Much harder to make contact without your employers being aware of it.

I also have never completely bought Cemetary John as a totally innocent character.

However, as much as I believe Hauptmann to have been guilty, there is no question he did not recieve a fair trial. Certainly not by today's standards but not even by 1930's standards.

I have also long thought Hauptman was guilty but did not act alone. In my view, this was too big a crime for one man. There were supposedly two sets of footprints under the window although it's hard to know just how well the crime scene was preserved. If I recall, there was also a fingerprint that was never matched to anyone, including Hauptman.

So who were his accomplices? Fisch and Sharpe are the best we have and can't be eliminated but they aren't very good. There was the person who turned in almost $3000 in ransom money and who gave his name as J.J. Faulkner but got away. The name and address proved to be false and bank people couldn't even remember what he looked like but his handwriting was not Hauptman's. I believe a crook was also caught with $5000 in ransom money and claimed he got it through a fencing operation and police believed him.

Anyway, the two best accomplice possibilities were dead by the time Hauptman was caught and he was almost assuredly protecting someone. My guess is that the accomplices were in some sort of gang and Hauptman refused to name them because he feared they would harm his wife and child as revenge. Highly unlikely that we will ever know much more than we know now.

I am fascinated with this case, as I studied it for a class in college and I've taught it as a case study.

I believe that BRH was involved in the conspiracy to extort money from the Lindberghs, but I believe there were others involved as well, likely someone with personal knowledge of the family.

I also believe that the baby's death was an accident - likely dropped as the kidnapper was descending the ladder and then disposed of in the woods.

I'm curious about the theory that the Eaglet was killed accidentally by the family and that BRH and the co-conspirators took advantage of his "disappearance" and extorted money from them. We know Lindbergh was a prankster and had a cruel streak as well.

I am fascinated with this case, as I studied it for a class in college and I've taught it as a case study.

I believe that BRH was involved in the conspiracy to extort money from the Lindberghs, but I believe there were others involved as well, likely someone with personal knowledge of the family.

I also believe that the baby's death was an accident - likely dropped as the kidnapper was descending the ladder and then disposed of in the woods.

I'm curious about the theory that the Eaglet was killed accidentally by the family and that BRH and the co-conspirators took advantage of his "disappearance" and extorted money from them. We know Lindbergh was a prankster and had a cruel streak as well.

This is my theory as well. I think Charles Lindburgh killed the baby by accident while pulling a prank and was then extorted by people who were not involved in the death of the baby. I like to think he couldn't get away with it in modern times. He was the most popular hero of the day and only because of that got away with it.

This is my theory as well. I think Charles Lindburgh killed the baby by accident while pulling a prank and was then extorted by people who were not involved in the death of the baby. I like to think he couldn't get away with it in modern times. He was the most popular hero of the day and only because of that got away with it.
SABBM

Interesting case. I have read a long time ago that C.L. had put a ladder up from the outside of the home to the baby's window before.
If i ever find the source I'll link it; but it probably came from some older book in the library.
Sad to read some things about Lindbergh, as no one likes to see a "hero" tarnished ! There have been other people regarded as heroes who fall short , we all are flawed and nobody is exempt.
:moo:

I would think Lindbergh would have a proper ladder, not that piece of crap and someone would surely have seen it around the place if he did.

The criminal knew which of many windows to go to. It's hard to imagine that they didn't get inside help. I remember seeing somewhere that tracks under the window led some to believe that the accomplice was a woman.

I posted the following in another thread a few weeks back and now realize it would have been better placed here (didn't realize at the time that this thread existed), so I'm reposting. Normally I wouldn't "cross post" like this, but hope it will be forgiven this time:

No matter how one feels about the Lindbergh kidnapping case, I wanted to post that there is a new book (focusing on the early phases of the crime and investigation) just out that I personally feel will be a must-read for anyone interested in the case:

attachment.php

http://www.buybooksontheweb.com/prod...9781495810428#

There have, of course, been many Lindbergh case books and all kinds of theories. This book, though, is the result of years of intensive archival research by author Michael Melsky, who is also the administrator of a very fine online forum on the case, at http://lindberghkidnap.proboards.com/ Whatever else, I KNOW there will be facts revealed -- and well documented -- in Michael's book that you won't find in any other. And some longstanding "myths" will be exploded, too, I expect.

I am thrilled that Michael has finally released volume one of his study of the case -- cannot wait to read it! I hope he will continue on to do additional volumes on later aspects of the case, as he has said he may.

Attachments

• 9781495810428.jpg
    9781495810428.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 31
It was 91 years ago when 20-month-old Charles Lindbergh, Jr. was kidnapped from his family's home in New Jersey, and in time, the search would reach our local
website%20feature%20lindbergh%20poster.jpg
Posters like this one were circulated during the
search for Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr.
In 1927, at the age of 25, Charles Lindbergh, Sr. was the first man to fly the Atlantic Ocean solo. He was acclaimed a national hero and given the rank of colonel in the U.S. Army Air Corps. In 1929 he married Anne Morrow, daughter of US Ambassador to Mexico Dwight Morrow. Their first child, Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr., was born in 1930.

Lindbergh and his family were constantly hounded by the press during this time, and he became more and more uncooperative and reclusive. Journalists were determined to report on every movement of the Lindbergh family. To escape their scrutiny, Charles built a house on a 390-acre tract near Hopewell, NJ. It was here that the darkest chapter in their lives was written.

On March 1, 1932, Charles Jr. was kidnapped from the family's home. The child was discovered missing at 10 p.m., and a ransom note was found on the sill by an open window. Lindbergh grabbed his rifle and made a frantic search of the grounds around the home. He telephoned the New Jersey State Police at 10:40 p.m. Within 10 minutes, every communication method of modern science was utilized to broadcast the alarm. Police departments were mobilized in a four-state search for the missing baby.
1677681020708.jpeg
More…

I have heard that Lindbergh was a prankster but some of his pranks went as far as being cruel and in some occasions injured people. One prank I heard about was while he was barnstorming with other pilots he replaced water in a pilots canteen with kerosene and after the pilot took a drink ended up in a hospital and nearly died. This is someone who clearly enjoys seeing other people suffer emmotionally and physically. I really believe Lindbergh was planning to pull one of his pranks but it went all wrong and in trying to cover it up made it worse. If Lindbergh had not been famous he wouldn't have gotten away with it and today you would have been watching youtube videos about the Lindbergh baby kidnapping as being one of the dumbest crimes ever committed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back