NJ NJ - Margaret Fox, 14, Burlington, 24 June 1974

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loc...ction]=add&fav[table]=tt_news&fav[uid]=626580

Jun 28, 2010

A candlelight vigil to remember Margaret Ellen Fox, a young girl who went missing here 36 years ago, will be held tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m.

Fox was last seen on June 24, 1974 in downtown Mount Holly, walking near Mill and High streets. She had taken a bus from her Burlington City home to meet up with a man she thought had a babysitting job for her. She was only 14 years old at the time.

Short article. Can't snip more.

Happy ending to Tammy Jordan case but others from the county still missing

The case of Tamela "Tammy" Jordan's disappearance remained open for nearly 10 years. No matter how cold the trail went, the search never ended and police continued to publicize the Burlington Township teenager's disappearance in hopes of finding a fresh lead or clue to her whereabouts.

[snip]

But others remain missing.

[snip]

Margaret Ellen Fox of Burlington City was 14 years old when she vanished June 24, 1974, after she boarded a bus at Broad and High streets in Burlington City to meet a man who had advertised for a baby sitter. The telephone number in the ad was traced back to a Lumberton supermarket. A widely publicized confession by a suspect in 1976 turned out to be a hoax.

More: http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loc...cle_bfd48c3a-3667-544f-b5b3-1d61bc4918ec.html

I'm looking at the area of where Margaret was supposed to meet John Marshall on Google Maps, and it looks to be the small downtown area of Mount Holly. I realize that some of these places weren't there in 1974 but I see: Sacred Heart Elementary School, Burlington County Jail, Burlington County Courthouse, Post Office, and a bunch of restaurants. I think that JM worked in this area, and he was comfortable with meeting Margaret here. As someone else pointed out, his luring method shows maturity on his part, so he might have been an older man with a good job. If he worked at the courthouse, that could've been how he came up with the name "John Marshall"

These kind of cases are so crazy to me. how can some one do this kind of stuff and get away with it? Poor girl.

I recall a mention of another case from the early '70s I read in NewspaperArchives, also involving a red VW. I'll go "bug"gy until I find it again....

The Original Night Stalker/East Area Rapist in California drove a VW bug to some of his crimes, but I think it was light blue or gray and not red, though. The suspects MO and the "type of victim" are also completely different.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25334

Original Night Stalker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A few thoughts- "John Marshall" was somewhat new at this. He rescheduled with Margaret because he was nervous about doing this.

Margaret's family may not have taken down the address b/c she needed to work. Two of her teeth were missing. Was this recent? IF recent, maybe the gums had to heal before work was done. If not, then maybe they didn't have money for dental work. Margaret would have earned some money to start paying for things on her own. Not dental work, but clothes, books, accessories, etc.

Why did Margaret take the bus? Was transportation a problem due to financial issues? Maybe having Margaret take a bus to this job, with her brother watching her get on the bus, was better than her not working at all.

I have a feeling she's gone, killed by "John Marshall" :(

Oh yeah, she's dead and she's not the only one. I want to know more about those others girls being called about fake babysitting jobs. It could be that Margaret was born without those teeth. That does happen.

Both Margaret's NCMEC poster from post #1 and her NamUs entry (MP 6077) are no longer available for public view. Fingers crossed.

i wonder why none of her parents accompanied her to go meet this man? were times that free in the 70s that they let their kids do whatever they wanted?

Apparently. A lot of kids and girls that went missing in the 70s had way too much freedom. It's like people never considered there were predators.

I guess that makes sense since everyone used to not lock their doors at night either

I'll never forget this case and hope one day to see it solved.

I lived in Mt. Holly at the time it happened. Heck, I still live here.

Hi Richard, I am Patti Kuhlthau's sister and I found this group when doing a google search long ago. Yesterday was the anniversary of Patti's murder. I wish I would have found this site long ago. I can tell you more about Houseman's past history. I also would love to talk to a person on this cold case. I know an FBI agent that was working on a cold case for my friend Sharon Thor who was also murdered in October of 1982. My heart breaks for these family members. In Sharon's case they found her but did not find the murderer. In Margaret's case not finding out either must have haunted her family. I am going to contact the FBI cold case agent on Sharon's case and ask him about Margaret's case and see if he can't give me contact information for the person on Margaret's cold case. On a side not my youngest sisters name is also Margaret. I just feel like something is driving me to look into this. Not to sure if I could add anything but I want to try.

Hi Richard, I am Patti Kuhlthau's sister and I found this group when doing a google search long ago. Yesterday was the anniversary of Patti's murder. I wish I would have found this site long ago. I can tell you more about Houseman's past history. I also would love to talk to a person on this cold case. I know an FBI agent that was working on a cold case for my friend Sharon Thor who was also murdered in October of 1982. My heart breaks for these family members. In Sharon's case they found her but did not find the murderer. In Margaret's case not finding out either must have haunted her family. I am going to contact the FBI cold case agent on Sharon's case and ask him about Margaret's case and see if he can't give me contact information for the person on Margaret's cold case. On a side not my youngest sisters name is also Margaret. I just feel like something is driving me to look into this. Not to sure if I could add anything but I want to try.

Welcome :) Glad you decided to join the discussion in hopes of finding Margaret and getting her some sort of justice.

I was thinking along these same lines. I don't think he would have given truthful information knowing she would more than likely give the same info to her parents.

I can't understand what the parents were thinking to let a 14 year old girl go to baby sit for a total stranger without any references or ever meeting the family. This is so disturbing to me. My red light would have been going off from the beginning if my daughter told me a man was making all the arrangements for her to come baby sit. "Maybe this type of thinking is politically incorrect or old fashioned but I have never been accused of going along with the crowd."

I completely agree! When I read the details of this case I just cringed. People were different then - far more loosey-goosey and trusting. I think it was the lack of media. People had no idea what evil lurked in their neighbourhoods or on their streets.

I am so sorry for this poor girl though and her family. What a high price to pay.

When I think of the things we did when I was a kid in the 70's....I wonder how any of us made it out alive. I babysat for lots of people...and my parents never met any of them, unless I babysat from their friend's children. I went on dates with people that my parents met for 30 seconds. I hung out with kids who my parents NEVER met. We parked in dangerous places. I went to parties at people's homes with people I barely knew. All of us were fairly naive at that point. Until Adam Walsh's disappearance I am pretty sure most of America didn't think twice about these things.

I was surprised to see Margaret being brought up. This has bothered me since I was 13 and lived in the town she disappeared from. I still live here and I still think of her.

Pam, I think a lot of us here feel like we are being driven to look into to "something." I also think more and more of us are finding things that generally take us to looking at other cases as well. If you are like me, you are finding cases you never knew existed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back