NJ NJ - Richard Cottingham, Torso/Times Square Serial Killer, 1968-1980

so close to home! i never heard of this case until i stumbled upon it before online... i am wondering why lorraine's boyfriend didn't just drive them to the mall...it's not a far drive from north bergen.. like 20 mins.. why drive them to Ridgefield? most of the buses that go to the garden state plaza can be taken from Fort Lee.

I found this link that states that Robert Relden was charged in connection to these murders?

http://murderpedia.org/male.R/r/reldan-robert.htm

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full...-Lorraine-Kelly---?instance=home_Most_popular

Five years after the North Bergen girls were killed, Tenafly resident Robert Reldan was found guilty of the murders of Susan Reeve of Demarest and Susan Heynes of Haworth – the “Susan Murders,” according to newspapers at the time – while he was already on parole for an earlier crime. Both victims were found nude and strangled in wooded areas...

However, there’s one problem with linking the two sets of deaths: Reldan was in prison in Trenton from Feb. 14, 1972 until May 30, 1975, when the North Bergen murders occurred...

The possibility has also been raised that Mary Ann Pryor and Lorraine Kelly were the first two victims in a rape and murder spree that lasted from August 1974 to October 1975. Eight girls between the ages of 14 and 22 from Northern New Jersey and Delaware were murdered during that time, six of them strangled and two shot.

I'm confused-are they saying that he did kill Pryor and Kelly or that he didn't do it cause he was in jail?

I'm confused-are they saying that he did kill Pryor and Kelly or that he didn't do it cause he was in jail?

That confuses me too. Apparently he was in jail, yet they are listed as his victims on Murderpedia.

Decades later, Bergen County teens' slayings remain unsolved

http://www.northjersey.com/news/decades-later-bergen-county-teens-slayings-remain-unsolved-video-1.1641239

She saw no red flags when sister Mary Ann left their North Bergen home, headed to a Paramus mall with Lorraine Marie Kelly to shop for a new bathing suit for a trip to the Jersey Shore.

“She said, ‘We’ll go to the mall. We’ll take the bus.’ And to me, it was perfectly normal. We took buses everywhere,” Pryor recalled. “So, that was probably early afternoon, and I said, ‘All right. I guess I’ll see you later.’ ”

She never did. That was, in fact, the last time Pryor ever saw her only sibling alive. Five days later, the nude, battered bodies of 17-year-old Mary Ann Pryor and 16-year-old Lorraine Kelly were found facedown in a wooded area in Montvale. Although theories abound about potential suspects — including River Vale-bred convicted serial killer Richard Cottingham — their murders are still unsolved.

In addition to alluding to Vogel’s murder, Grieco said Cottingham had also vaguely referenced other crimes, once saying, “ ‘I remember picking up a couple of girls, by one of the malls, on one of the highways, or near one of the highways,’ and he said, ‘I disposed of them out of the area,’ ” Grieco recalled, saying they could not get a deal approved.

Anzilotti and McMorrow said they can’t comment on whether Cottingham — or anyone else — is a suspect in the Pryor/Kelly case, but Anzilotti said, “I wouldn’t rule anything out and certainly there were serial killers that were active in Bergen and the surrounding area during this time frame.”

Nor can the detectives comment on time of death, cause of death, theories of the case (whether the murders were committed by one killer or more than one), specific injuries to the teens or how they were killed, because, McMorrow said, “these are the intimate details of the crime that sometimes only the killer would know.”

Sister of teen killed in 1974 continues push to solve cold case, report says

Richard Cottingham "The Torso Killer" confessed to three cold cases from the 1960's in Bergen County, New Jersey helping authorities bring an end to these investigations. The familes of the victims Jacalyn Harp, Denise Falasco and Irene Blase were immediately notified upon the killers confession.

'Torso Killer' Confesses To Murdering 3 Bergen Teens In The 1960s

Lengthy and very interesting article..
Jan 30 2020
By Rodrigo Torrejon
BXOAQ2MW7VFPTMW6QSMRW62YFM.JPG

Copy photo of Jennifer Weiss, left, and Richard Cottingham, known as the Torso Killer. Weiss's biological mother, Deedeh Goodarzi was one of Cottingham's victims. (Photo courtesy Jennifer Weiss)Photo courtesy Jennifer Weiss

The ‘Torso Killer’ dismembered her mother. So why did this woman become his friend?
''As she walked into the New Jersey State Prison in 2017, Jennifer Weiss had two questions for the notorious serial murderer known as the “Torso Killer.”

“Did you know my mother?” And “where did you hide her head?”

She had no inkling at the time that the day she met eye-to-eye with the man who killed and dismembered her mother decades ago would lead her on a bizarre journey with Richard Cottingham.

Through reinforced glass dividers in cold and sterile visitation rooms, Weiss has sought answers from the hulking, bearded 73-year-old Cottingham, who has boasted he killed as many as 85 to 100 people.

Cottingham is currently serving a life sentence with no hope of parole after admitting to six killings in New York and New Jersey. Earlier this month, Bergen County authorities announced Cottingham had been linked to three previously unsolved cold cases involving teen girls killed decades ago, renewing interest in his more than decade of violence that ended with his arrest in 1980.

The actual death toll may never be fully known or verified. But one thing is clear.

Cottingham’s notoriety as the “Torso Killer” evolved from the night Deedeh Goodarzi was found dead in a Times Square motel room on Dec. 2, 1979. Goodarzi had been beheaded, her hands were cut off and she was set on fire along with another unidentified woman.

Goodarzi was Weiss’s birth mother - something she wouldn’t learn until 2002 when Weiss decided to try to find the woman who put her up for adoption.''

It took Weiss a decade to muster the courage to write a letter to her mother’s killer.

Weiss saw the letter as an entry into Cottingham’s life and a way to find out where he had hidden her mother’s head, a gruesome trophy that was still lost decades later.

The unanswered questions that still lingered, and her recovery from breast cancer provided the courage.

“I felt fearless,” said Weiss. “I felt invincible. I started to write Richard and ask him to put me on his guest list. I made it light-hearted and funny and made it really comfortable for him to say ‘Yes.’ That he would accept my friendship in return for information about my mom.”

''Weiss penned that first letter in March 2017. It had emoji stickers plastered all over it, she said. She knew that the only way to get answers from Cottingham would be to approach him with kindness.

A month later, Cottingham responded with a three-page letter scrawled on legal paper. More than 37 years after Cottingham had killed Goodarzi, he sent her daughter a message of apology.''

1532UFNY

1532UFNY.jpg
1532UFNY1.jpg
1532UFNY2_LARGE.jpg

Clothing, boots and wanted poster.

Date of Discovery: December 2, 1979
Location of Discovery: New York City, New York
Estimated Date of Death: December 2, 1979
State of Remains: Charred; head and hands removed.
Cause of Death: Homicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 16-22 years
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5'1" to 5'4"
Weight: 100 to 110 pounds
Hair: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Black full-length coat. A pair of “bon jour” jeans size 7/8. A pair of black patent leather boots size 8. A burgundy colored mohair sweater size 38.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim was discovered in Room #417, the Travel Inn Motor Hotel by firefighters who responded to a fire alarm. Firefighters discovered this victim with Deedeh Goodarzi, a Kuwaiti immigrant who was a prostitute. Both victims had their hands and head removed after they were killed, and an attempted burning occurred. None of the missing body parts were ever recovered.

On July 9, 1984, serial killer Richard Cottingham AKA The Torso Killer, was convicted in both the murders of this unidentified victim and Goodarzi. Between 1967-1980, Cottingham killed six women, most of them engaged in prostitution. Cottingham is currently imprisoned at the Trenton State Prison.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: New York Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Detective Michael Clark
Agency Phone Number: 212-741-8245
Agency E-Mail: Unknown
Agency Case Number: 1565/66

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: None

Information Source(s)
Wikipedia
New York Police Department
The New York Times
Radford University

Also:
Manhattan Jane Doe (1979)

--------------

This Jane Doe has finally gotten her own DoeNetwork page! How can she be entered in NamUs? @Roselvr ?

Wondering if they will try and track the uid female through DNA and if the two women were friends?
The clothing reminds me of what a fashionable female might have worn in Montreal circa late 70's, imo, speculation.

So great that she finally is in doe network and that she has her own thread!

Ever since I came across her a couple of years back (looking for info on Midtown Jane Doe) I never understood how she was just left behind and forgotten about after The other woman was identified. I have thought about her many many times!!

Thank you Mrs. Badcrumble for starting this thread. Praying now she can get her name back!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back