NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 security or deposit boxes were buried by LM and PT. One was buried at Sandy Hook, NJ the other was buried at Shark River Park in Neptune, NJ.

There are actually 3 boxes involved. The two safes that were buried at Sandy Hook (containing ($9300) and Shark River Park, and the safe deposit box, that was in Kearny Bank, and contained the $25,000. It was the key to the safe deposit box at the bank that was found in LM's car.
Sorry...ETA the key to the bank safe deposit box was found in a floor vent in LM's apartment! Sorry for the confusion

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand your reference to "deposit boxes:" there's a safety deposit box located at the bank with about $25k+, and opens with key (key found in LM car); and safebox containing about $9,300+- buried in shallow ground at Sandy Hook.

Is there another deposit box, and if so, where is it? TIA

2 security or deposit boxes were buried by LM and PT. One was buried at Sandy Hook, NJ the other was buried at Shark River Park in Neptune, NJ.
I just wanted to post the sources and links:

1. 1) Location: “One [of the two safes] was located at Sandy Hook in mortar battery No. 329 ...”
2) Key: “[Detective Nicholas] Cattelona [of the crime scene unit of the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office] testified a key found in a car that was being driven by McAtasney when he was arrested was for the safe buried at Sandy Hook.
3) Found inside: “The detective said he used the key to open the safe. Inside was $9,390 in old bills.

2. 1) Location: “Detective Sgt. Ryan Muller, also of the crime scene unit of the prosecutor's office, testified that Taylor the same day led investigators to the spot where a second safe was buried at Shark River Park in Wall.”
2) Key: “Cattelona testified the safe recovered from Shark River Park was open, and its lock was broken.

Taylor previously testified that he and McAtasney had easily cracked open that safe with a hammer and screwdriver and transferred the money in it, which amounted to about $2,000, to the other safe, along with another $7,000 taken from Stern that was contained in a backpack.”
[Did LM and PT lose the key to the Shark River Park safe?]
3) Found inside: “When Cattelona opened the safe recovered from Shark River Park, it contained some white index cards, similar to cards that were used to separate bills in Stern's safe deposit box, he said. It also contained a hair that turned out to be that of an animal, he said.”
[According to previous reports: “... the police have recovered two buried safe boxes, one in Sandy Hook containing about $7,000 and another in Shark River Park containing Ms. Stern’s clothing.
They Helped Look for Her. Now They’re Accused in Her Murder.

3. 1) Location: “... Stern's safe deposit box at Kearny Bank in Bradley Beach.
2) Key: “Investigators also recovered a key to Stern's safe deposit box during a search of the apartment McAtasney and Taylor shared in Neptune City, Cattelona said. The key was hidden inside a vent in the floor of McAtasney's bedroom, he said.”
3) Found inside: “On Tuesday, Cattelona testified the safe deposit box contained $25,250 in old bills.”
[Did LM actually think he would go back to the bank and get the rest of the money? Even if he kept Sarah’s ID, there is no way he could pretend to be her. Did he think he would ask a female friend to do it for him??] (All BBM)
Sarah Stern murder: Stolen cash found buried inside remote mortar on Sandy Hook

Last edited:
“Sarah Stern murder: Accused confesses to killing in secret video”
Sarah Stern murder: Accused confesses to killing in secret video

ETA:
“FREEHOLD - After telling a friend that he killed Sarah Stern, timed the killing with his phone, and threw her body off a bridge only to receive old money that was useless, Liam McAtansey said the experience didn't change him.

[SBM]

He later admitted, ‘I did something really dumb and planned it out for a half a year.’

The conversation was secretly videotaped by Curry, a horror filmmaker, at the behest of police.

The video was played for a jury today at McAtasney's trial for Stern's murder.

[SBM]

In the video Curry recorded on Jan. 31, 2017, McAtasney laid out in detail choking Stern for a half hour.

‘Her dog laid there and watched while I killed her and didn't do anything,’ McAtasney told Curry.

Stern's father, Michael, hung his head and wept while the video was being played for the jury.”

Sarah’s poor father ....

ETA:
Accompanying photos:

0EAFEB42-8AE6-47FD-8FCA-6866543DE04C.jpeg 439E9B2B-5B3F-4C6E-9E67-FFD292DEBD72.jpeg 64D7E382-4F26-4CD1-B239-FA2BD5C1F45B.jpeg 38A7B77E-A000-41C8-9AFA-5E550B91600E.jpeg 2CDF72DF-FB35-4BA3-A6D4-27BBF60B0991.jpeg

Last edited:

ETA:
“FREEHOLD - After telling a friend that he killed Sarah Stern, timed the killing with his phone, and threw her body off a bridge only to receive old money that was useless, Liam McAtansey said the experience didn't change him.

[SBM]

He later admitted, ‘I did something really dumb and planned it out for a half a year.’

The conversation was secretly videotaped by Curry, a horror filmmaker, at the behest of police.

[SBM]

In the video Curry recorded on Jan. 31, 2017, McAtasney laid out in detail choking Stern for a half hour.

‘Her dog laid there and watched while I killed her and didn't do anything,’ McAtasney told Curry.

Stern's father, Michael, hung his head and wept while the video was being played for the jury.”

Sarah’s poor father ....
It just gets sadder and sicker every day

"I had timed everything out,'' McAtasney told Curry on the video, describing to him how he killed Stern.

"I choked her out, dragged her to the back, put her in the bathroom, and then I had to go to work,'' McAtasney said.

Later in the conversation, McAtasney went into more detail.

"I picked her up and had her just dangling off the ground,'' he told Curry. "She pissed herself, said my name. It took me a half hour to kill her. I choked her out, and she was just laying there, having a seizure.''

McAtasney said he took a shirt and stuffed it down Stern's throat so that she wouldn't throw up.

After work, he said he returned to Stern's house with his roommate, Preston Taylor, to get rid of the body. McAtasney told Curry he placed Stern in the passenger seat of her car and then backed it out of the driveway the way she would do it.

At the Route 35 bridge, he said he needed Taylor's help. Cars were coming over the bridge as he struggled with Stern's body, he said.

"The two of us threw the body over, and then we're out,'' McAtasney said.

He told Curry it was part of his plan to be questioned by police afterward and to make it seem like he was good friends with the victim, so he began spending more time with her.

"I needed to make it seem like we were better friends than we were so they wouldn't question my behavior,'' McAtasney told Curry.

"The worst part is, we threw her off the bridge, and the body never showed up,'' he said.

McAtasney told Curry the money he stole from Stern and later buried at Sandy Hook was a fraction of what he expected to steal from her. He said he thought the victim had between $50,000 and $100,000.

"She only had 10G, and this money, I don't know if it's burnt or something. It's old money, terrible quality. I don't even think I can put it in the bank,'' McAtasney told Curry.

The information comes from previous reports:

“Relying on Mr. Taylor’s confession, the police have recovered two buried safe boxes, one in Sandy Hook containing about $7,000 and another in Shark River Park containing Ms. Stern’s clothing.“ (BBM)
They Helped Look for Her. Now They’re Accused in Her Murder.

“Taylor later confessed to the killing, bringing authorities to two buried safes in Sandy Hook and Shark River Park in Wall. Authorities said one contained the cash from the robbery and another had pieces of Stern's clothing.“ (BBM)
A year later, Sarah Stern's dad reflects on loss

I’m not sure why the evidence hasn’t been presented yet.

Perhaps LM talks about the clothes in his confession, and the prosecution is going to introduce the evidence at the same time as the tape that his friend recorded:

“Liam McAtasney first told Anthony Curry about his plans to rob and murder former high school classmate Sarah Stern on Thanksgiving night, 2016.

[SBM]

McAtasney even told Curry that he and his roommate, Preston Taylor, had taken ‘trial runs’ over the bridge to practice disposing of the body without being detected, the court papers said.

[SBM]

Then, when McAtasney contacted him to ask if police had spoken with him about Stern’s disappearance, Curry began to suspect that McAtasney had actually gone through with his ghastly plan, prosecutors said in their court papers.

[SBM]

‘A.C. wanted to participate,’ [Detective Brian] Weisbrot [of the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office] testified at a hearing before Superior Court Judge Richard W. English on Jan. 10. ‘A.C. was terrified of Liam McAtasney. He felt if he didn’t participate in this, Liam McAtasney would kill him or hurt his family.’

Curry proceeded to communicate with McAtasney, saving their exchanges of Snapchat and text messages for detectives to review.

[SBM]

The pair then exchanged Snapchat messages and agreed to meet later that night in Bradley Beach.

That’s where McAtasney is said to have told Curry that he planned Stern’s murder for six months, that he choked her for a half hour while her dog watched her die, that he stole the victim’s safe and that he did, in fact, throw her body off the bridge with Taylor's assistance, according to the court papers.

McAtasney’s words and image were unwittingly being recorded by Curry.

[SBM]”
Ruling on covert Sarah Stern murder confession on the docket
Except the most recent news makes no mention of clothes ever found in the safe?? I don't think clothes are in evidence.
Cattelona testified that safe contained some white index cards, similar to cards that were used to separate bills in Stern's safe deposit box, and a hair that turned out to be that of an animal.”

"I don't feel any different," McAtasney told the friend, Anthony Curry.

"I don't think about it," he said. "You always think you're going to try new things and change. It just don't do anything."

McAtasney went on to say to Curry, "It's your life. You might as well make it one. You gonna live some boring-a-- life?"

He later admitted, "I did something really dumb and planned it out for a half a year."

The conversation was secretly videotaped by Curry, a horror filmmaker, at the behest of police."

Sarah Stern murder secret video: 'It took me a half hour to kill her'

Last edited:

ETA:

[SBM]

[SBM]

Sarah’s poor father ....

ETA:
Accompanying photos:

View attachment 167943 View attachment 167944 View attachment 167945 View attachment 167946 View attachment 167947

ETA:

[SBM]

[SBM]

Sarah’s poor father ....

ETA:
Accompanying photos:

View attachment 167943 View attachment 167944 View attachment 167945 View attachment 167946 View attachment 167947
Omg poor Michael Stern and his family .
The video confession...
The video confession...
The video confession...
I wonder, born this way, or environmental? This kid is hollow. They way he speaks about sweet Sarah, ,I can't even fathom how she suffered. Though AC disbelieved the original conversation with LM in November, at least he came forward to help the LE record a confession. Not an idea for a horror film. That 13 minute video was Liam's confession to the brutal murder of Sarah Stern . For sure AC would have been killed by LM.

Tragic. Tragic.

After listening to this video and the details of how LM transported Sarah's body in her car, I can't believe that authorities did not know that Sarah's dead body had been in the car! Did they not process the allegedly abandoned car for evidence? Sarah had been dead for several hours. No cadaver dogs? No police dog searches of Sarah's home and/or yard either?

"I don't feel any different," McAtasney told the friend, Anthony Curry.

"I don't think about it," he said. "You always think you're going to try new things and change. It just don't do anything."

McAtasney went on to say to Curry, "It's your life. You might as well make it one. You gonna live some boring-a-- life?"

He later admitted, "I did something really dumb and planned it out for a half a year."

The conversation was secretly videotaped by Curry, a horror filmmaker, at the behest of police."

Sarah Stern murder secret video: 'It took me a half hour to kill her'
LM speaks of Sarah with such indifference, callousness-- as if her remains were like a box of old books to be discarded.

LM has gone to trial for murder because he believes his own lies, and thinks others will as well.

All this incriminating evidence in his own words, and he's sitting in trial. Clearly he could have repeated this murder if not arrested. MOO

ETA: And I'm sure LM has his own fan club that support/believe his lies! They must be the same that still allege Sarah's father responsible. :eek:

Last edited:
Tragic. Tragic.

After listening to this video and the details of how LM transported Sarah's body in her car, I can't believe that authorities did not know that Sarah's dead body had been in the car! Did they not process the allegedly abandoned car for evidence? Sarah had been dead for several hours. No cadaver dogs? No police dog searches of Sarah's home and/or yard either?
Yep, I have a few questions too .Was Sarah Stern stripped of her clothes ,and if so why . How does LM family feel seeing confession on tape? Feeling pretty pissed . I know tonight my daughters will view this confession of LM confessing to murder of SS. I have to remind myself that her soul is not floating in the cold Atlantic Ocean. She's at peace with her Mom.

LM speaks of Sarah with such indifference, callousness-- as if her remains were like a box of old books to be discarded.

LM has gone to trial for murder because he believes his own lies, and thinks others will as well.

All this incriminating evidence in his own words, and he's sitting in trial. Clearly he could have repeated this murder if not arrested. MOO

ETA: And I'm sure LM has his own fan club that support/believe his lies! They must be the same that still allege Sarah's father responsible. :eek:
You said a mouthful!

You said a mouthful!
Anyone who knows the Sterns, knows Michael Stern did nothing to harm his daughter .As parents we may embarrass you ,disagree with you,lecture you. That is our job. Yes, we may continue that when your grown, it's very hard to turn off the parenting button. I'm from Neptune City, NJ. It's a small town. Trust me when I say, that town is not divided! We stand firmly with Sarah Stern and her dad.

Tragic. Tragic.

The police in Belmar and Neptune City have kept this case very close to the vest. Letting very little info out into the public. Maybe more still to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy