NJ NJ - Steven Anderson, 17, & David Williams, 12, New Lisbon, 7 April 1975

Missing since 7 April 1975:

steven_eugene_anderson_1.jpg

Stephen Eugene Anderson, age 17

david_edward_williams_1.jpg

David Edward Williams, age 12

It's a large property, is it possible they took off into the woods and got lost?

It's a large property, is it possible they took off into the woods and got lost?
Possible, but rather doubtful. That time of year the woods are still bare of leaves, and buildings, road traffic, etc. can be seen pretty easily. Also, a search for the boys would be helped by the good visibility.

Unfortunately, we don't know much about the boys and what their plans or habits might have been the day they went missing.

I think about Steven and David a lot. I think it is most likely that they wandered off and died, or that the school covered something up. Unfortunately, institutional abuse was not uncommon at the time. They could have been neglected, died, and then buried somewhere on the property and reported missing. As for the first theory, perhaps they went into the woods and David had a seizure; without medical attention he would not have lived very long. Steven, perhaps lost looking for help, or staying by his friend, died of exposure. I doubt they were taken by a predator, but I don’t suppose it’s impossible. And after all this time, considering their disabilities, it is unlikely they are alive. I am curious to hear from their parents. Had they recently visited? Did they suspect abuse? What did they think happened?

The Philadelphia John Doe has already been ruled out. There seems to be a decent number of people who left and have never been seen from again who were at this school. The abuse and neglect makes me think some didn't just wander away. They found one patient in a strait jacket and suffocated with styrofoam. This patient was never suppose to be in a strait jacket. One newer case of neglect would be a patient who froze to death. I wouldn't be shocked if some of these missing patients were buried somewhere on the property.
And what about this?
I've been unable to find any possible match to David. To be honest, I think they probably died in New Lisbon and their bodies may still be there.1684664031474.jpg

A terribly sad case of two vulnerable boys who went missing.

It reminds me of the case of Eric Bess and Chipley Sanders who also went missing together (from a different care home in KY) a decade later. They also have a thread on Websleuths and neither has been found.

Is it true that these children were mentally retarded? They look absolutely normal... It's also strange that they kidnap two at the same time... Anyway, I hope they didn't suffer too much when they crossed over to the other side...
rest in peace

Is it true that these children were mentally retarded? They look absolutely normal... It's also strange that they kidnap two at the same time... Anyway, I hope they didn't suffer too much when they crossed over to the other side...
rest in peace
Yes. They went missing from the New Lisbon State School for Retarded Males, now called the New Lisbon Developmental Center. Not everyone with intellectual disability has dysmorphic facial features (i.e. they look 'normal'). Steven had autism and moderate intellectual disability. David had epilepsy and an unspecified mental disability. Neither were capable of taking care of themself and David didn't have his medications. I personally don't believe they were kidnapped, I think they either got lost and died of exposure or were victims of institutional abuse and had their deaths covered up.

rest in peace
"Is it true that these children had an intellectual disability?" ("Retarded" is now considered a pejorative term and widely abolished in all professional practices.)

Also, there's no preset or standardized "look" to an individual with a disability—intellectual or otherwise.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back