GUILTY NJ - Timothy Wiltsey, 5, murdered, Sayreville, 25 May 1991 *APPEAL FILED*

Discussion in 'Trials' started by shadowangel, Jan 8, 2010.

1. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

2. OkieGranny

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/stor...imony-medical-examiner-school-nurse/84313092/

3. KayElJay

KayElJay Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Forget CSI shows, Lodzinski jury could convict without fingerprints, eyewitness
    http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2016/05/how_good_is_circumstantial_evidence.html

4. OkieGranny

http://abc7ny.com/news/foreman-dism...for-ex-nj-mom-accused-of-killing-son/1334955/

5. strawberry

strawberry Well-Known Member

6. robthomaseyes

robthomaseyes New Member

Very good news. As someone who worked with Gerald Krovatin years ago when he was at Lowenstein, Sandler in Roseland, I'm pleasantly surprised that he lost this case. He's a damned amazing litigator. So happy he lost this one. But with his fees (which by now have to be somewhere in the ballpark of $550 to $750 an hour (if not more), who is paying the bill? I cannot find that information. Was he court-appointed or does she have that much money?

7. MadamReporter

MadamReporter Thin-Ice Skater

He took the case pro bono. His wife is a well-known author, so I'm sure they are not hurting financially.
    He did work his ass off on this case and he did manage to get a lot of incriminating and damaging testimony suppressed and not seen before the jury. I think he made the absolute most of the mess of a client he had.

8. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

I hope that mess, with having to kick off the foreperson of the jury, will not create appeal problems in the future.

9. MadamReporter

I'm sure that will be the subject of his appeal.

When they were interviewing the jurors individually about whether there had been a violation of the judge's instructions back in the jury room, Gerry must have gotten a sense of which way the foreman's vote was leaning because the following day he told the judge he did NOT want a mistrial and he did NOT want the foreman dismissed as a juror. After the judge ruled that the foreman would be dismissed, Gerry then moved for a mistrial and was denied. Turns out his instinct was right, because the very next morning the new jury convicted her of first-degree murder 20 minutes after they arrived.

10. robthomaseyes

robthomaseyes New Member

That explains it. He's very high-priced; even back in the Lowenstein, Sandler days, he was already billed out high.

11. mothwings

mothwings Well-Known Member

This case is very interesting and sad and shares a lot of similarities with the Casey Anthony trial.

Why can't I find any full days on youtube or elsewhere? It was live streamed? I would have watched.

12. mothwings

There was so many 2 minute high quality clips on youtube that are just there to tease us. They were recorded by NJ media. I reached out to them to see if I could get more of them or at least have them upload it and I didn't get a reply waiting for 7 days. They didn't bother to respond until I emailed them back a second time and all I got was "the clips are all that's available." Really? You recorded the entire trial and won't release anymore other then 2 - 3 minute teasers of 10 days? Ridiculous. So tragic I never heard of this trial or I would have recorded it for everyone. The coverage has been horrible.

At least there was a guilty verdict.

13. JusticeWillBeServed

JusticeWillBeServed Well-Known Member

Sentencing of mother in 1991 N.J. cold case postponed; attorney seeks acquittal or new trial

http://www.northjersey.com/news/sentencing-of-mother-in-1991-n-j-cold-case-postponed-attorney-seeks-acquittal-or-new-trial-1.1648465

14. mothwings

Really? She's almost sentenced and this comes out of the woodwork? Sounds familiar, anyone? Hopefully not too familiar. How can the judge just "acquit" him when she's already been convicted? Unless it was a bench trial, I thought only the jury could give an acquittal. Sadly, the system is corrupt as it could possibly be. "Law" is not justice.

15. GeeEm

GeeEm New Member

August 23, 2016

Judge to weigh new trial in 1991 killing of 5-year-old boy

A New Jersey judge is scheduled to consider whether a Florida woman convicted of killing her 5-year-old son in 1991 deserves a new trial.

Lodzinski's attorney is expected to argue that prosecutors didn't present enough evidence at the trial. He also has questioned why the jury foreman was dismissed during deliberations.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/23/judge-to-weigh-new-trial-in-11-killing-5-year-old-boy.html

16. MadamReporter

The foreman was dismissed because he decided to do his own Google research during deliberations. When another juror sent a note to the judge letting him know that that had happened, Lodzinski's attorney said that he wanted the foreman to remain on the jury and he did NOT want a mistrial. The judge ruled that the foreman had violated his oath and blatantly disregarded the instructions the judge gave the jurors AT LEAST twice at day, sometimes more. As soon as the judge removed the rogue juror, Lodzinski's attorney moved for a mistrial ... and was denied. The next day, with the alternate juror seated, his client was convicted of first-degree murder.

Fast-forward three months. Krovatin's appeal cites juror misconduct as a reason that his client deserves a new trial. The SAME juror that he said he wanted to remain on the jury.

17. mothwings

What is going on here? Hasn't it been 30 days?

18. MadamReporter

It has been over 30 days.

The arguments that Lodzinski's attorney made last month about her not getting a fair trial, juror misconduct, et cetera, were a waste of the Court's time and just for show, in my opinion. I was there the day the foreman got dismissed, and Judge Nieves already rejected the defense's request for a mistrial that day. The only thing that happened between then and now is that Lodzinski got convicted. If nothing changed, why would the Judge's mind?

19. JusticeWillBeServed

Lodzinski motions for acquittal, new trial denied

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/news/crime/jersey-mayhem/2016/10/25/lodzinski-motions-acquittal-new-trial-denied/92732468/

20. JusticeWillBeServed

Michelle Lodzinski to be sentenced next month in killing of 5-year-old son

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2016/12/sentencing_scheduled_for_michelle_lodzinski.html