GUILTY NM - Collin Romero, 15, & Ahmed Lateef, 14, murdered, Albuquerque, Dec 2018 *guilty* + Cayla Campos murder 2019 *arrests*

It’s been one year since the boys’ disappearance and murder.

the vigil was tentatively rescheduled for this weekend due to weather.

I’m not sure if it’s allowed. But Collin’s mom is saying they are asking for plea bargain and she is opposed. But I don’t have a link. If it’s not ok you can modsnip. Hopefully there will be a link soon.

everything has been delayed because of covid.

I’m not sure if it’s allowed. But Collin’s mom is saying they are asking for plea bargain and she is opposed.

I sincerely hope that the State is not asking for the mother to consider a plea bargain. Given the magnitude of the crime and the drug motivation, the State would seem to have a very strong interest in seeking the full punishment.

Albuquerque seems to be the ideal size to pursue maximum charges. It is large enough to have the police and prosecutor resources to take on a major case. Yet, it is not too large to the extent where the case is just "one of many" and there is pressure to plea bargain in order to use the resources elsewhere. Then factor in that the gang accused seems to be fragmented and with out some sort of mafia "code of silence".

In short, Albuquerque seems to have the resources, the crime warrants it, and the defendants don't seem to have any special strengths. I just sincerely hope that Albuquerque has the will.

Any updates? Also can anyone post the autopsy results?
I found some articles online but can't read due to EU restrictions.

I sincerely hope that the State is not asking for the mother to consider a plea bargain. Given the magnitude of the crime and the drug motivation, the State would seem to have a very strong interest in seeking the full punishment.

Albuquerque seems to be the ideal size to pursue maximum charges. It is large enough to have the police and prosecutor resources to take on a major case. Yet, it is not too large to the extent where the case is just "one of many" and there is pressure to plea bargain in order to use the resources elsewhere. Then factor in that the gang accused seems to be fragmented and with out some sort of mafia "code of silence".

In short, Albuquerque seems to have the resources, the crime warrants it, and the defendants don't seem to have any special strengths. I just sincerely hope that Albuquerque has the will.

i believe they are still pushing for one :(

Mama held a rememberance over the weekend in honor of his 17th birthday in Heaven.

i believe they are still pushing for one :(
I can see a plea bargain(s) only in a situation where certain testimony is vital to secure a conviction for the actual murderer(s).

Other than that, offering plea bargains is a huge disservice to the families of both victims given the magnitude of the crime.

There might be federal option as I believe that murders ordered by a drug "kingpin" could be a federal crime. I don't know if "kingpin" has a legal definition.

For better or for worse, my guess is that the perpetrators are far too dimwitted to ever make the "kingpin" level.

Experienced drug lords would know that ordering such a horrific crime in the USA for the stakes involved constitutes a very low "reward" / very high risk crime that would never be worth the risk.

I can see a plea bargain(s) only in a situation where certain testimony is vital to secure a conviction for the actual murderer(s).

Other than that, offering plea bargains is a huge disservice to the families of both victims given the magnitude of the crime.

There might be federal option as I believe that murders ordered by a drug "kingpin" could be a federal crime. I don't know if "kingpin" has a legal definition.

For better or for worse, my guess is that the perpetrators are far too dimwitted to ever make the "kingpin" level.

Experienced drug lords would know that ordering such a horrific crime in the USA for the stakes involved constitutes a very low "reward" / very high risk crime that would never be worth the risk.

well they were hoping for fed charges due to daddy torching the vehicle they used to move their bodies on native land but it didnt happen.

well they were hoping for fed charges due to daddy torching the vehicle they used to move their bodies on native land but it didnt happen.
My vague understanding is that any possible charges would need to be a federal crime (torching a vehicle equates to illegal dumping on federal land).

Or, there must be a native victim or perpetrator if the federal land is an Indian reservation. In this case, perhaps, illegally dumping the vehicle on tribal land probably constitutes a crime against that particular Indian nation. Thus, there is a native victim when one considers the tribe as a whole.

Both options can probably be pursued. But either option still leads to minor "illegal dumping" type charges. Thus, my vague guess is that both the tribe and the federal government decided not to get involved.

Last edited:
My vague understanding is that any possible charges would need to be a federal crime (torching a vehicle equates to illegal dumping on federal land).

Or, there must be a native victim or perpetrator if the federal land is an Indian reservation. In this case, perhaps, illegally dumping the vehicle on tribal land probably constitutes a crime against that particular Indian nation. Thus, there is a native victim when one considers the tribe as a whole.

Both options can probably be pursued. But either option still leads to minor "illegal dumping" type charges. Thus, my vague guess is that both the tribe and the federal government decided not to get involved.

i believe he was charged for accessory after the fact. ETA it was tampering with evidence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back