NM - July/August 2022 APD Investigating Serial Killer. 4 Victims All Male and Muslim

Definitely sounds like an honor killing (or killings, I should say) from what info has been released so far.
I agree. I have read that Sunni Shia mixed marriages can create alot of tension in Islamic countries.

That aside, I wonder how the perpetrator knew the men were Shia muslims?

Iran is the only Shia majority country where one could make a presumption about Islamic religious denomination based on ethnicity and be right a significant majority of the time.

In contrast, however, the victims were Pakistani. I have a general understanding that Shias use some Islamic name variations more than Sunnis do, but even that has alot of exceptions to the rule.

None of the victims seems to have a distinctly Shia name. Likewise, the Afghan victim does not have the Asian features associated with Afghanistan's only Shia majority ethnic group.

UPDATED: 19:49 EDT, 9 August 2022

"A man arrested as the prime suspect in the serial killing of four Muslim men in Albuquerque is believed to be a Sunni Muslim himself, it has been reported.

Police named the man as 51-year-old Muhammad Syed, who lived in southeast Albuquerque.

He emigrated from Afghanistan 'in the last few years', police said on Tuesday, and was twice charged with domestic violence - but charges were dropped.

Court records obtained by DailyMail.com show Syed was arrested in May 2018 and charged with 'battery (household member)'. He pleaded not guilty, and prosecutors dropped the charges in August of that year.

Four months later, on December 23, 2018, Syed was charged with aggravated battery. The case was dismissed in April 2019.

It is believed that the suspected killer himself was a Sunni Muslim - and may have targeted his victims because he was angry over his daughter marrying a Shiite Muslim, according to the New York Times."

I agree. I have read that Sunni Shia mixed marriages can create alot of tension in Islamic countries.

That aside, I wonder how the perpetrator knew the men were Shia muslims?

Iran is the only Shia majority country where one could make a presumption about Islamic religious denomination based on ethnicity and be right a significant majority of the time.

In contrast, however, the victims were Pakistani. I have a general understanding that Shias use some Islamic name variations more than Sunnis do, but even that has alot of exceptions to the rule.

None of the victims seems to have a distinctly Shia name. Likewise, the Afghan victim does not have the Asian features associated with Afghanistan's only Shia majority ethnic group.

More on the Hazara in Afghanistan. They have more Asian features.

Women should be free to marry whom they wish and not have to fear domestic violence from husbands nor fathers. I have a huge problem with describing 1st-degree murders as "honor killings." I can't even begin to understand this situation on any level. If guilty, this man did not deserve to come to America and receive legal residency. Not to mention the increased prejudice brought to the Muslim community by these senseless murders. IMHO.

IMO, I wouldn't consider these honor killings. If the suspect killed his daughter or her husband, that would fit the bill, but I'm pretty sure that he didn't know any of the victims. It sounds like he was blaming the entire Shia community for his daughter marrying a Shia man and ended up taking it out on strangers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back