NM NM - Mary Han, 44, Albuquerque, 18 Nov 2010

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Reader, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Reader

Reader New Member

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ws_id=19372519&src=most_popular_viewed&page=1

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Mary Han was a successful civil rights attorney who for decades battled over the rights of abused women, accused prostitutes and the homeless. In the close-knit Albuquerque legal community, she was known as a spitfire whose fervor was often directed at one entity in particular: The city's troubled police department.

Now, more than two years after Han was found dead in her garage in what authorities deemed a suicide, the department is under scrutiny amid questions over whether officers mishandled the investigation into the death of their former adversary.

The state attorney general's office is looking into the matter. It has also asked federal officials, who last year launched a civil rights probe into the department's high number of police shootings, to look at the case...............

Han's law partner, Paul Kennedy, discovered her body the next morning in the garage of her home after she failed to come to work or contact her assistant.

She was sitting in the driver's seat of her BMW, reading glasses on, feet propped up on the dash with the driver's door and the windows open, according to police reports. Found in the car were a pair of brown slippers, a robe with a bottle of Ambien in the pocket and a glass with clear liquid. The door between the garage and the house was open.............

Much more at link....intriguing case....wonder what actually happened, suicide or murder....

2. Loading...

3. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

How awful. It sounds like suicide or maybe even an accident while drinking, but then again, could have been set up by someone who had seen suicides. I wonder what her blood alcohol was.

4. Reader

Reader New Member

I read over this article again and nothing was said about BAL or what the 'clear liquid' found was.....part of the problem in the investigation was so many people tramping through the scene:

I'll try to find some more local information and articles...

5. GarAndTeed

GarAndTeed Active Member

Whoa...
    Why did 24 cops need to be there??? And the only tox mentioned was an incredibly high CO level; but her car door, windows, & the door from the house to the garage were all open. No mention of alcohol, Ambien, or other substances in her blood.
    Plus 28 police shootings that have left 18 people dead in the past 3 yrs. Something's not right here, IMO.

6. GarAndTeed

GarAndTeed Active Member

7. Reader

Reader New Member

Agree, and then it shows several of those phones disappeared later...

Here is another article from 2011 with some more information but still nothing about BAL....wonder what the autopsy showed? When $100K worth of jewelry is missing something is wrong also...

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/family:-apd-botched-attorney's-death

8. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member

9. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member

911 call

[video=youtube;iANjipVork4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iANjipVork4[/video]

10. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member

11. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member

12. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member

13. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member

14. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member

15. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member

16. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

17. eileenhawkeye

eileenhawkeye Active Member

This case about the supposed corrupt ABQ police made me think of the case of Kaitlyn Arquette. She was the daughter of Lois Duncan, who wrote the book "I know what you did last summer". The official website for her alleges there was a police cover-up: "Kaitlyn Arquette, 18, was murdered in Albuquerque on July 16, 1989. Albuquerque police dubbed the shooting a "random drive-by" and refused to investigate any other possibility"

Not trying to go OT and start bringing Kaitlyn's case into this...just that hearing this story about the ABQ LE made me think of her case.

18. Reader

Reader New Member

No prob...thanks for the videos and some good information....the more the better in a case with all these questions....I'm thinking Mary Han had some enemies....with what has been shown so far, I just can't see her committing suicide...she was too much a fighter, for herself and others...

19. tezi

tezi Member of Websleuths since 2000.

Kaitlyn was my first thought also, when I saw this thread.

I think she was murdered.

JMO, IMO, :moo: , and all other disclaimers.

20. Reader

Reader New Member

Embattled Albuquerque, NM, police chief to retire

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<DA51NTQ84@news.ap.org>&ps=931

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — The head of Albuquerque's embattled police department says he's retiring after an eight-year tenure marred by a spike in fatal police shootings and excessive force cases that critics blamed on a departmental culture that fostered brutality.

Chief Ray Schultz's announcement on Friday comes five months after the U.S. Department of Justice launched a civil rights investigation that was spurred by protests, lawsuits and demands for a wide-scale change............

In a letter sent to the city's chief administrative officer Wednesday, Schultz said he plans to retire sometime during the summer or fall. The letter was released Friday by the mayor's office and the Police Department.........more....

Well, well, well........with the AG investigating Han's death and the civil rights investigation, maybe some changes are coming...hope the truth comes out on this case....

21. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

From October 2015:

http://www.abqjournal.com/661279/news/mary-hans-family-still-fighting-autopsys-suicide-finding.html

From last month:

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s4011009.shtml#.VsYUvDZlm8o