NM Missing/Murdered - linked to West Mesa?

So looking at my list of missing in the area...it seems like the real patterns happen in 2013..LOTS of activity there. Namus and NM missing person database reports 43 women under age 41 went missing across NM between 2001 and 2014. Twenty of these are under 18, 19 are between the ages of 18 and 29 years, and 4 of these are between 30 and 40. 14 of these are missing from Albuquerque and 10 of the 14 went missing from 2001 and 2006, the other 4 went missing from 2013 and January 2014 (El Paso Times)

Between June 13, 2006 and January 15, 2013 there were NO more reports of missing women from Albuquerque and between March 14, 2012 to January 15 2013 no more missing reported in areas of NM outside of Albuquerque (El Paso Times).

What I think is interesting is that in 2013 starting in May we have at LEAST one "last seen" date per month, except for the month of July. They are mostly from different parts but I don't think any are very far apart. Ill have to do some mapping to be sure of the distances.

In September of 2013 there are 4 reported "last seen" (from the 3rd to the 30th-one about every other week), in October there are 5 missing, 2 in November, 5 in December.

2014 starts off with a bang; 7 with "last seen" dates of January 2014. Three in the first week, 4 in the second week.

Those dates and numbers above came from NM Dept. of Public Safety Missing Persons and NAMUS.

I don't know...seems like a pattern to me, at least with these later ones. If our WMBC was still active, he could be responsible for this...but if he is you can bet your britches there is another grave site.

Now, to find out a central location perhaps to the areas that the missing are from. Lots of work to do, lol. Do we have anyone here that is really good with maps?

Hi Seeker!!!! I don't know if you're still active on here but I have been tracking the same danged thing. So many women are going missing, and are still missing. Let me know if you want to talk!

So looking at my list of missing in the area...it seems like the real patterns happen in 2013..LOTS of activity there. Namus and NM missing person database reports 43 women under age 41 went missing across NM between 2001 and 2014. Twenty of these are under 18, 19 are between the ages of 18 and 29 years, and 4 of these are between 30 and 40. 14 of these are missing from Albuquerque and 10 of the 14 went missing from 2001 and 2006, the other 4 went missing from 2013 and January 2014 (El Paso Times)

Between June 13, 2006 and January 15, 2013 there were NO more reports of missing women from Albuquerque and between March 14, 2012 to January 15 2013 no more missing reported in areas of NM outside of Albuquerque (El Paso Times).

What I think is interesting is that in 2013 starting in May we have at LEAST one "last seen" date per month, except for the month of July. They are mostly from different parts but I don't think any are very far apart. Ill have to do some mapping to be sure of the distances.

In September of 2013 there are 4 reported "last seen" (from the 3rd to the 30th-one about every other week), in October there are 5 missing, 2 in November, 5 in December.

2014 starts off with a bang; 7 with "last seen" dates of January 2014. Three in the first week, 4 in the second week.

Those dates and numbers above came from NM Dept. of Public Safety Missing Persons and NAMUS.

I don't know...seems like a pattern to me, at least with these later ones. If our WMBC was still active, he could be responsible for this...but if he is you can bet your britches there is another grave site.

Now, to find out a central location perhaps to the areas that the missing are from. Lots of work to do, lol. Do we have anyone here that is really good with maps?

Hi Seeker!!!! I don't know if you're still active on here but I have been tracking the same danged thing. So many women are going missing, and are still missing. Let me know if you want to talk!

Guys, I'm so sorry, because I am totally inept at using websleuths so far. But I have a couple of ideas.

I was looking at the info on the missing women. Darlene Trujillo went missing in 2001, but that may be a red herring of sorts. Michelle Valdez is last seen in September of 2004. Jamie and Evelyn went to a park on Gibson and San Mateo. I'm an ABQ native but I was looking at the map because I couldn't remember the name of the park. And I'll be damned, I forgot the base went up that far.

Kirtland Air Force base is a base located in Albuquerque. It's decently big. All these women went missing within a span of a little more than 3 years. Typically, Air Force and army folks get PCSd (permanent change of station orders) every three to four years, depending. I'm just thinking that might explain why the disappearances stopped suddenly. Just a thought!

Anyone stationed in ABQ can find out about the mesa. It's pretty easy to find desolated spots in Albuquerque.

In a lot of ways, ALB is a city smack-dab in the middle of a very large desolate area...New Mexico is a great place to live during a pandemic, with a population density of 12 people per square mile.

Kirtland is the east side of Albuquerque, and yes the term West Mesa is geographically correct.

(Old Anglo & proud, missing my family deeply right now.)

I don’t understand why these cases aren’t getting more attention. I remember when the news covered the discovery of the bodies, and how LE kept finding more. It was huge then and I think it still is. These women deserve justice!

@MadMcGoo, absolutely. Someone started a podcast called “The Mesa” but that’s the most attention it’s gotten in years. 11 women, all dead. I think people in ABQ at least are content to blame either Montoya and Blea and be done with it- though if they had some evidence I think the case would be concluded. They were unable to find any DNA in Montoya’s trailer, which I just can’t wrap my mind around. As for Blea, they found women’s underwear but nothing ever came of that. ??? What gives

Hi! I just recently joined websleuths and so I know I'm pretty late coming into this thread. I also live in the Albuquerque area. I was wondering if there had been any new information on this case. Everything I've Googled about this case is old news stories, which gives me an idea of who these women were and their lifestyles etc. but not much else. I know these women were found after their bodies had decomposed but was there any evidence as to what their causes of death were? As well as any other possibility of evidence found in the ground surrounding their bones, aside from the plant tag? Also what are some of the websites used to look into info on the victims? Thanks in advance!

Hi, new here! I worked with Christine Julian (only met her twice but she was very memorable), and I was also married to Victoria Chavez's first cousin so I knew her pretty well. I've always thought there is a second burial site where the other missing girls are. <modsnip> The whole thing is so sad. I'm glad people haven't forgotten these ladies...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, new here! I worked with Christine Julian (only met her twice but she was very memorable), and I was also married to Victoria Chavez's first cousin so I knew her pretty well. I've always thought there is a second burial site where the other missing girls are. <modsnip> The whole thing is so sad. I'm glad people haven't forgotten these ladies...
Welcome! I’d be very curious to know what makes you think there is another burial site. I tend to agree with this. It just doesn’t seem right that so many girls were found dead (and buried in the same place) and so many more are missing from nearby. Where are they?!

Welcome! I’d be very curious to know what makes you think there is another burial site. I tend to agree with this. It just doesn’t seem right that so many girls were found dead (and buried in the same place) and so many more are missing from nearby. Where are they?!
The reason I think that there is another burial site is pretty much like you said. They all went missing around the same time, and for the most part were living similar lifestyles. It just seems odd that half would be found together & the other half would just remain missing. A lot of houses were built on the west side at that time so it seems possible to me that the other site ended up not getting discovered and was just built over. I really thought Christine would be found when they found Victoria.

The reason I think that there is another burial site is pretty much like you said. They all went missing around the same time, and for the most part were living similar lifestyles. It just seems odd that half would be found together & the other half would just remain missing. A lot of houses were built on the west side at that time so it seems possible to me that the other site ended up not getting discovered and was just built over. I really thought Christine would be found when they found Victoria.
That’s so sad to think about. But I believe you’re probably right. :(

Hello all, rather new here but I was just wondering if anyone was still looking into this? Ive been trying to do some digging into missing sex workers in general just to see what clusters if any there are in other states etc. This case is what made me really start thinking about it, just wondering if anyone is still digging, you guys are really amazing!!!

WEST MESA MURDERS​

In 2009, a woman walking her dog found a human bone in the desert of New Mexico. That led police to find one of the largest crime scenes in American history.

In total, there were 11 victims, and many were reported missing years earlier. The women had ties to drugs and prostitution, according to the Albuquerque Journal.

The victims became known as the “West Mesa Murders,” and their killer has yet to be caught.

The crime scene was a mass burial site in a 100-acre patch of desert, according to the Journal. Police teams worked around the clock to find all the victims, though it took years to identify them all.
*2019 article
Victims-pictures.png
Row 1: (from left to right) Monica Candelaria (21), Evelyn Salazar (27), and Syllania Edwards (15)
Row 2: Julie Nieto (23), Doreen Marquez(27), and Michelle Valdez (22)
Row 3:Jamie Barela (15), Cinnamon Elks (32), and Virginia Cloven (24)
Row 4: Veronica Romero (28), and Victoria Chavez (26)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back