Found Deceased NM - Natasha Nelson, adult, Dona Ana County, 13 Apr 2021

SunSun

Reaction score
Oregon woman reported missing in Doña Ana County, NM

A woman reported missing since April 13, 2021, is believed to be in Doña Ana County. Natasha Nelson’s parents reported her missing. Their last contact with her was on March 18, 2021. Nelson’s father said she often called or texted. He said she was an archeologist and often moved to different campsites.

The Doña Ana County Sheriff’s Office reports that deputies were dispatched to the Aden Lava Flow Wilderness on May 5 regarding a possible missing person.

A man who said he was acquainted her reported the abandoned vehicle to authorities. The man said he met with her a few month's prior, and knew she camped out of the vehicle. On Wednesday, he was flying his drone in the area and noticed the vehicle appeared to have been abandoned for quite a while.

Deputies at the scene discovered a 2008 white Subaru Forrester with Oregon State plates in a remote area.

The windows of the vehicle were slightly rolled down. Some personal and camping items were located outside of the vehicle, covered in dirt and appeared to be weathered.

Deputies found Nelson’s cell phone in her vehicle and the phone was last turned on more than a month ago.

Missing Oregon State Woman's SUV Found In Remote Area Outside Of Las Cruces

Oregon woman missing in Doña Ana County

She's an archaeologist? Working for who and on what project?

Interesting there were personal items found outside of the car.

No tent or camp was set up. Unless she was sleeping in her car?

And the acquaintance that knew her, also happened to be flying his drone and saw her car, but no sign of her.

Who was this acquaintance? Natasha is from Oregon, so how did she know the man from New Mexico (who was also in such a remote area at the same time?)

MAY 13, 2021
Remains of missing Oregon woman possibly located in Doña Ana County (krqe.com)
The Doña Ana County Sheriff’s Office reports that the remains of a missing Oregon woman may have possibly been found. ...

[...]

According to DASO, on May 8 the campers who had previously made contact with authorities reported they may have possibly found what appeared to be decomposing human remains not too far from where Nelson was last seen camping. Investigators at the scene confirmed the remains to be human and a set of car keys that belonged to Nelson were found nearby which leads investigators to believe the remains are that of Nelson.

Authorities say the remains were found about a quarter of a mile away from Nelson’s vehicle however, until an autopsy is completed by the Office of Medical Investigators and a positive identification is made through medical records, deputies cannot confirm the remains to be Natasha Nelson.

[...]

Her remains were found only a quarter of a mile from her car?! That's not very far at all.
Did she get lost? Could she have seen her car from that distance.
I'll be interested to know the results of the post-mortem.

Thank you for notifying me about this, Laughing. I don’t know how to set up my account so I get notifications at my email address. I just happened to log in here today and saw it.

I’m not familiar with the area where she was found. I think it might be down near White Sands. I’ll have to check. It might be about 200-300 miles south of Santa Fe, where I’m at.

This is quite unnerving to me. For many years I would go to remote areas like that with only my two or three small dogs. Once, I wound up walking into an old ghost town that had been set up as a hunting lodge. The only two men who were there said they saw me taking pictures, which was ok with them. But they thought I might want to know that a bear had come into the old, vacated town. They were very nice and offered to drive me back to my car. I quickly accepted!

A few other times I met up with some shady characters. I do seem to attract them like a magnet! Somewhere on Websleuths I had written about my encounter with Rodney Alcala (The Dating Game Killer). So, I could see something like this happening to me.

I haven’t been exploring for quite a few years now, though. Gas is too expensive since I’m now on Social Security Disability, I’m not in great health and I’m fearful of meeting up with dangerous people.

I hate to think of what might have happened to her. I know how vulnerable you can feel off the beaten path and alone.

Last edited:
She's an archaeologist? Working for who and on what project?

Interesting there were personal items found outside of the car.

No tent or camp was set up. Unless she was sleeping in her car?

And the acquaintance that knew her, also happened to be flying his drone and saw her car, but no sign of her.

Who was this acquaintance? Natasha is from Oregon, so how did she know the man from New Mexico (who was also in such a remote area at the same time?)
This may be her LinkedIn page - young female archeologist with the same name as the missing woman. https://www.linkedin.com/in/natasha-r-nelson-m-s-rpa-70462951

Was there any update on this on whether she was positively identified or if foul play was suspected. I can't find any updates online since May.

I'm in Dona Ana county. In May, you can easily die of hyperthermia here. Sad.
Edit: Spelling

Any further updates on this ladies cause of death

I believe this is her, but no info on cause or anything else. Previous articles said her family was in Milwaukie, Oregon. The date of death shown is the date that the remains were located.

Natasha Nelson Obituary

The November 2020 article was different remains, of 'up to two people'. I looked for further info on that one for a while when the bones were discovered and never found anything on the person or persons.

I believe this is her, but no info on cause or anything else. Previous articles said her family was in Milwaukie, Oregon. The date of death shown is the date that the remains were located.

Natasha Nelson Obituary

The November 2020 article was different remains, of 'up to two people'. I looked for further info on that one for a while when the bones were discovered and never found anything on the person or persons.
Most probably inconclusive. Very sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back