Match! NM - Pagosa Springs, WhtFem 55UFNM, 25-35, Sep'82 *Margaret Walden*

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by kpdx, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Roselvr

Roselvr Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

What am I missing? Both say DNA Sample submitted - Tests complete. This isn't a case I've followed so am unsure
    Margaret Walden NamUs DNA Sample submitted - Tests complete
    NamUs UP # 5326 DNA Sample submitted - Tests complete

2. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Beats me. The detective on the case seems pretty tenacious, so it seems like he'd be breathing down their necks to either make the match or rule it out. :dunno:

3. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://www.pagosasun.com/second-victim-in-1982-double-homicide-identified/

4. Migmuu

Migmuu Well-Known Member

Wow, the stats were off on this one. Like, really really off.

Estimated age: 25 - 35 years old
    Margaret's age: 39

Estimated height: 5'2
    Margaret's height: 5'10
    (For the record, the last biggest height discrepancy in a WS match was 4 inches. That was in two different cases: Robert Donlick and Troy Kozkowski. Margaret's case was twice that.)

Estimated hair color: Brown
    Margaret's hair color: Blonde

UP's medical history: Hysterectomy. No mention of any other surgery
    Margaret's medical history: Mastectomy + bullet wound scar on chest. No mention of hysterectomy

When I look for PMs, I allow for three inches discrepancy in the estimated height and three years off the age range (if the person's estimated age is 40 - 50, I'll go 37 - 53). There's no way I would have hit on her; I would have ruled her out immediately just based on the height, and with the hair color + age difference to back it up. Actually, I'll go a step further and say I don't think LE would have even considered Margaret if it weren't for the jewelry that was on her, and the fact that she had run away with a sailor (which Stewart Simmons was).

Makes you wonder how many matches have been missed because of errors like that.

5. Roselvr

Thanks! I'm still scratching my head as both NamUs profiles are online!
    I have to wonder why NamUs did not make the match?

edit - According to the newest article; (if I am reading it right) it sounds like NM held Jane Doe's sample but refused to test against Margo's relatives....

6. Roselvr

Congrats for solving these cases!

Second victim in 1982 double homicide identified

7. webrocket

webrocket New Member

For what it's worth, and I don't remember the woman's name, and I don't recall the numbers with precision, the all time height discrepancy between the MP and the UID was 10 or more inches. [it was not a WS match] Going strictly from memory, there was a young woman who died in an accident involving a truck. I think she was a passenger in the truck and either she was from California or the accident happened in CA. I think the UID's measurement was the one that was wildly off.

I recall wondering how they could be that far off when they her corpse and it was not one of those situations where there had been a horrific fire.

8. wintermute

wintermute Member

Perhaps the height on the missing person report was overstated, and the estimated height of the UID was a little too low. Margaret's MP report says her hair is blonde, but it looks brown in the photo.

9. Roselvr

I have an answer. This goes to show that we can't assume DNA processed & complete means that NamUs holds them or ever that they were run through the same system. It just means that someone has the DNA on file.

The person I spoke to from NamUs said that one sample (Margo's family) was at CalDOJ lab and the other (Margo as JD) was at FBI. They do not know outside of UNT if they were at the level to be compared nationally.

10. webrocket

webrocket New Member

11. JusticeWillBeServed

JusticeWillBeServed Well-Known Member

33-year-old cold case finally leads to two arrests

http://www.abqjournal.com/804552/33yearold-cold-case-finally-leads-to-two-arrests.html

12. Roselvr

I'm so happy to see this arrest! So thankful their families will have justice! Prayers to their families <3

So thankful vermontaigne called in the match! I'm sure it helped get justice

13. Ray_of_hope

Ray_of_hope Verified registered nurse

How awesome for the loved ones. Congratulations!!! What a gift that they can now be at peace.

14. Roselvr

Unfortunately, it looks like she's already been released :(

Woman accused of murder in 1982 cold case released from jail - By Nicole Perez - Wednesday, July 13th, 2016 at 5:02pm

15. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

Same here sis. Every time I visit these threads, I go away crying. I'm so proud of vermontaigne, and our other members who work so diligently on these cases. They all have a Lion's heart...