GUILTY NM - Paul, 34, & Tryone Posey, 44, Marilea Schmid, 13, slain, Hondo, 5 July 2004

Sniffy38 said:
I was so happy to hear that Cody is being given a chance to make something of his life. For the first time ever, he has seen that he is loved and that total strangers deeply care for him. It's just so tragic that it took these events for him to finally be where he can get the help that he needs. I truly see a bright future ahead for him.

Gary Mitchell is a real hero!

I so agree. This is a time to look towards the future and to break the cycle. So many have rallyed so it tells me so many were abused and want to see a resolve.Cody can be rehabilitated and in this, will be healing. The amount of knowledge presented and the great courage of Gary Mitchell and why he took this case is so apparent.It could change a lot of the world.

It was a good day today. I'm so happy for Cody and that he now has a chance to have a good life. He has goals and plans which he told the judge about today. It really was touching. Finally got to see Cody smile as he was getting into the police car leaving court. People were yelling "we love you Cody" and he smiled and said "thank you for everything." Looked like quite a few kids there today...so excited with the verdict.

I'm so impressed by Gary Mitchell. I normally can't stand the attitudes of defense attorneys but the defense and the Pros switched attitudes in this trial. That red head Pros was so snotty to the defense witnesses. I don't see the sense in talking down to people like that...on either side.

I will never understand how the Pros thought Cody showed psychopathic behavior because he smoked some pot...or so they said...although he had a clean UA when he was put in detention. Pot stays in the fat cells for quite a while and he was supposed to have smoked it during the 2 days after he murdered his family. Don't think so. If smoking pot meant you are a budding psychopath then we better lock the middle and high schools with the kids inside cause we got hundreds of the little buggers just waiting to break loose.

And having oral sex also means you are a budding psychopath???? I have a hard time believing he was having oral sex at school....how many times?? If that was the case the principal of that school better get a handle on those kids cause it sounds like they are around every corner doing the nasty. French kissing ...I can buy that. Oral sex makes you a budding psychopath....wonder how many of those we have running around this world.
I think the Pros needs to be educated about Psychopathic behavior.

The Pros wanted to add on to the sentence after the judge had remanded Cody to the S. Youth Detention Center but the judge said he had already sentenced Cody...no deal. Gary Mitchell told Beth K. that when he first met Cody he would put his hand on Cody's shoulder and Cody would go rigid.
He said that Cody is now at the place where if Gary puts his hand on Cody's shoulder or gives him a hug Cody doesn't go rigid and will hug him back. Took nearly two years to get to that place.

:laugh:
Linda7NJ said:
Whew, I am back home...finally! I was over at CTV ...rough crowd, I was even banned...TWICE!:innocent:

Ocean/ Jaded was an awesome poster over there!

It's nice to be back:)

:innocent: you? HaHa, Linda you and Ocean Blue Eyes are my two of my favorite posters over there but I rarely go to check their boards anymore. On topic though I admit I haven't followed this story but I have the jist of it and just wanted to say that I myself have seen prosecuters with rabid attitudes directed at prosecuting victims of abuse especially the spousal murders by women and I know it's a ploy for some but not always. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to DA's and LE because I've seen both good and bad and I guess time will tell in this case.

BillyGoatGruff said:
Also, I noticed something about the pcitures they showed of Marilea--how the ones towards the end of her life show her dressing like and wearing her hair identically to her mother, which kind of gave me the creeps.
And? Exactly what are you trying to say?

Challenger said:
And? Exactly what are you trying to say?
That it was rather disconcerting to see her go from looking like a normal/average teenage girl in terms of her clothing and hairstyle to dressing and wearing her hair like a woman in her 30s. In a couple of pictures the only way you could tell her from her mother was the simple fact she was shorter. Now, I look like my mom. I always have. But I sure as hell never dressed like her/wore my hair in the same fashion when I was 13. Or even now. It just seemed odd that the prosecution kept using pictures of the family that were clearly bits of circumstantial evidence that supported the defendant's claims of the stuff that was going on at the farm, yet refused to acknowledge the fact, even when confronted with a computer full of kiddie/incest *advertiser censored*.

BillyGoatGruff said:
That it was rather disconcerting to see her go from looking like a normal/average teenage girl in terms of her clothing and hairstyle to dressing and wearing her hair like a woman in her 30s. In a couple of pictures the only way you could tell her from her mother was the simple fact she was shorter. Now, I look like my mom. I always have. But I sure as hell never dressed like her/wore my hair in the same fashion when I was 13. Or even now. It just seemed odd that the prosecution kept using pictures of the family that were clearly bits of circumstantial evidence that supported the defendant's claims of the stuff that was going on at the farm, yet refused to acknowledge the fact, even when confronted with a computer full of kiddie/incest *advertiser censored*.
I agree, Billy. I don't see how anyone can think that kid was the one looking up all that *advertiser censored* when they tracked it for well over a year on their computer and even the ex-wife said Paul was into *advertiser censored* in the years she was married to him. It is obvious the kid was pushed to the brink, and I don't think he had much of an option. No court would have taken him out of Paul's home. He was a teenager and without bruises or serious injuries, they would have just thought he was trying to go over his father's head to get out of trouble. Teens are not treated the same by CFS as small kids. The most they would have done was try to work with Paul and Tryone, and that would have gone over like a lead balloon. I think Paul knew he had to be careful not to leave too many bruises. That is why Cody was struck so often openhandedly. Now Cody has a chance to heal from all this and make good choices. I sure hope he does.

I am bringing this from http://www.justiceforjuveniles.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3631&sid=22cf61c7e71f3c0b463bc1a282cfeb63

"Karen at Gary Mitchell's office ... said Cody is well, and is being held at the Diagnostic and Development Center in Bernalillo County (Albuquerque) until there is a bed at Sequoyah.. She said any mail for Cody should be sent TO Cody C/O Gary Mitchell as the center he is in will be sending any they receive to Gary as well. Cody wants to wait and do some of his penance and needs to adjust to things as he goes through his "transition."

He is VERY grateful and Gary Mitchell has also opened a trust fund for Cody so that can now go to Gary no problem. Please send your contributions to Gary from now on. I think those are the safest hands because they love Cody like we do and Gary has the law behind him to keep anyone from trying to delve into Cody's money. Please pass this info on to others.

Contributions and letters for Cody to:
Cody Posey C/O Gary Mitchell
PO Box 2640
Ruidoso, NM
gmitchell@zianet.com "

Hi Lili :)

Thank you so much for bringing this information and 'good news' to Websleuths. Much appreciated!

I wanted very much to express my respect & admiration to Gary Mitchell for the dynamite representation he so generously provided to Cody's case. And personally - to Cody! Gary also gave me a new perspective on my jaded view of criminal defense attorneys - there actually are some decent honorable ones out there. Huge Kudos to him!! :D

I sincerely thank God that Cody has Gary Mitchell as his advocate, friend & mentor.

Thanks again, Lili .. now I have an email address for Mr. Mitchell and a snail mail address to send a contribution & some positive thoughts to Cody.

Contributions and letters for Cody to:

Cody Posey
C/O Gary Mitchell
P.O. Box 2640
Ruidoso, NM

gmitchell@zianet.com (Gary Mitchell)

13th Juror :D

Does anyone have an update on this case? Recent links??? Will Cody be released this year?

This was a controversial case. Will he be ready to leave the detention center & live alone? Discussion please: facts, thoughts or opinions.

The state asked the court to impose the maximum adult sentence, life without parole. But Judge James Waylon Counts ruled that it was possible Posey could be rehabilitated and sentenced him as a juvenile offender.

Once he reached 21, he could no longer be held as a juvenile and was free to go.

Posey turned 21 on Saturday, according to his uncle, Carl Clees.

Romaine Serna, spokeswoman for New Mexico's Children Youth and Families Department, confirmed Saturday that Posey is a free man.

"He has a bright future. I see no problems with him progressing and getting on with his life like the rest of us," Clees said.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/08/new.mexico.posey.release/index.html

I wish him well, hope he transitions easily into freedom, adult life, completes his education & has a happy & rewarding life.

A man who was 14 when he killed his father, stepmother and stepsister at newsman Sam Donaldson's southern New Mexico ranch has been freed from detention

Cody Posey recently was released from a state juvenile detention facility and was freed from court jurisdiction on Friday, the day before his 21st birthday, according to a report from KOB-TV in Albuquerque

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_RANCH_KILLINGS?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

and Misty gets 25 years:banghead: sad sad sad

A man who was 14 when he killed his father, stepmother and stepsister at newsman Sam Donaldson's southern New Mexico ranch has been freed from detention

Cody Posey recently was released from a state juvenile detention facility and was freed from court jurisdiction on Friday, the day before his 21st birthday, according to a report from KOB-TV in Albuquerque

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_RANCH_KILLINGS?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

and Misty gets 25 years:banghead: sad sad sad

He likely wouldn't have gotten out if he wasn't 14 years old at the time-judge decided he should be treated as a juvenile and with juveniles the system can not keep them after they turned 21. As for his claims of abuse, even if I were to believe everything he claimed about his father and step-mother, what did the poor 13 year old step-sister do to deserve this?

I wonder how Cody is doing now, I think he got a huge break in this case, I never for one moment believed any of his abuse stories, but even if he was abused Marilee was not the one doing the abusing and he shot her in cold blood as well as his parents, I wonder how many other triple convicted murderers ever get out of prison, especially ones who have a 1st degree murder conviction, the only ones I can think of are the WM3

I wonder how Cody is doing now, I think he got a huge break in this case, I never for one moment believed any of his abuse stories, but even if he was abused Marilee was not the one doing the abusing and he shot her in cold blood as well as his parents, I wonder how many other triple convicted murderers ever get out of prison, especially ones who have a 1st degree murder conviction, the only ones I can think of are the WM3

What if Marilee were the favored child? The most loved child and Cody treated as if he was 'in the way'? I have seen that kind of situation and it breeds bitterness, jealousy and resentment. I believed Cody.

There were witnesses who testified to the cruel treatment of Cody at the hands of his parents. I watched the trial coverage, I saw Cody testify and I saw the long time ranch hand testify. I have no doubt that Cody was abused physically and emotionally, in the worst ways.

Children who are horribly beaten and tortured are often assumed to be liars if they tell the truth about what goes on in their homes. Grown-ups who witness a child being beaten or belittled or neglected choose to ignore it.

I cant imagine having to live the way Cody did. Even prisoners of war cant be beaten , denied food or water, or forced to do hard labor for hours on end in the summer heat. If any adult was held captive and tortured the way Cory was, they would be justified in fighting their way out, even if it meant having to kill anyone who tried to prevent his escape!

Marilee was just a child who was manipulated by the adults in the home to keep their secrets. Cody knew that Marilee would warn his dad and in his panicked state of mind, he shot her. He was a fourteen year old child with PTSD, putting an end to the torture the only way he knew how.

No one was going to help Cody. He was living in hell on earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update on Cody.... Wow.

http://www.insidergr.com/5/post/2012/5/do-you-remember-him-c.html

Cody Posey 2012 New Titans
NEWS - Cody Posey, a teenager who was charged with 3 counts of 1st Degree murder on July 2004 when he was just 14. Now Cody has left the past behind him, 8 years later he is making some great decisions in his life. Cody is now with the New Mexico Titans, a minor league football team in New Mexico. Cody has not been on any interview or news every sense he appeared in that court room when he was 16. Look forward for more coverage on Cody Posey sometime this week. *2 Photos Included

even though I think Cody cold bloodedly chose to murder his parents and sister and used the abuse excuse to ensure he did not serve a very long prison sentence I am pleased to see he has managed to build a new life post his release,

it can't be easy as he is a convicted felon, convicted of killing 3 people and finding employment and making a future for himself can't have been easy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back